show me your beautiful anemones

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only response I have is. It was sold as a sebae I understand that could be wrong. However if you check on the requirements of the Ritteri care. I can assure you I don't keep my water quality that clean. Most if not all of my animals fall into the easy to care for categories. A Rottori isn't

Does it ball up at night?

Also FWIW I've never seen a Sebae with tentacles that ball up and have white tips on the end. H. Crispa tend to be more tapered then H. Mags. and have pink, tan or a blueish colored tips. Honestly never even seen one in pictures with those colors so either yours is super special or...

Based on your pictures I'd say with 95% certainty you have an H. Mag and not an H. Crispa regardless of how it was sold.

Also don't believe all the myths about Mags you hear on the internet :p

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it ball up at night?

Also FWIW I've never seen a Sebae with tentacles that ball up and have white tips on the end. H. Crispa tend to be more tapered then H. Mags. and have pink, tan or a blueish colored tips. Honestly never even seen one in pictures with those colors so either yours is super special or...

Based on your pictures I'd say with 95% certainty you have an H. Mag and not an H. Crispa regardless of how it was sold.

Also don't believe all the myths about Mags you hear on the internet :p
Honestly I've only seen it ball up twice I've had it for 4 maybe 5 years. I feed it every other month. It was almost pure white when I brought it home. It's several times larger than when it came home. I seriously respect Vince at Marine Extreme. Not saying that he couldn't be wrong. But he's never steered me wrong that I'm aware of. I also admit that I've been in the hobby since 1990 and this isn't the only one I've had and as far as I know I have never bought one that was sold as a Ritteri because of the information about them I purposely choose the easier animals because I sometimes let things slide a little also it's not my only hobby.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I've only seen it ball up twice I've had it for 4 maybe 5 years. I feed it every other month. It was almost pure white when I brought it home. It's several times larger than when it came home. I seriously respect Vince at Marine Extreme. Not saying that he couldn't be wrong. But he's never steered me wrong that I'm aware of. I also admit that I've been in the hobby since 1990 and this isn't the only one I've had and as far as I know I have never bought one that was sold as a Ritteri because of the information about them I purposely choose the easier animals because I sometimes let things slide a little also it's not my only hobby.

Totally understand man. I have literally never seen a Sebae that color. Like I said, doesn't mean it doesn't exist but I have never seen it. The tip of the tentacles is a pretty tell tale sign though and an easy way to spot the difference of the two as they are both so similar in appearance otherwise. Your H.Crispa tend to elongate out at the end where as the H.Mag will tend to ball up on the end.

Check the tips on mine. Now mine has the unusually colored red pedestal, as most you find are typically the same pink/purple as the tentacles and oral disc. If it was completely white that might explain why it may have been labeled as a Crispa instead of a Mag. Colored up they are generally easy to tell apart because of how the tips pop, but unless you know to look very closely at the shape of the tips or it is slightly deflated...etc. yeah.

Either way, like I said, I've seen Mags go through some pretty rough conditions, environment and water quality. They are not a set it and forget it Nem, but I find after you initially get them adjusted you can most certainly put them on auto pilot even if your tank gets a little out of whack. Heck mine just spent 36 hours in 70 degree water during the hurricane power outage and never moved.

But yeah, I could be wrong, but if you posted this as a "please ID" thread I would look at that, say H. Mag and not even have a second thought. Now if your picture was of the same Nem but solid white I would have a very very hard time telling the difference.

Can you check the mouth? Does it looked ever so slightly open or is it completely sealed tighter then a nun?

JfGvzu1.jpg

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understand man. I have literally never seen a Sebae that color. Like I said, doesn't mean it doesn't exist but I have never seen it. The tip of the tentacles is a pretty tell tale sign though and an easy way to spot the difference of the two as they are both so similar in appearance otherwise. Your H.Crispa tend to elongate out at the end where as the H.Mag will tend to ball up on the end.

Check the tips on mine. Now mine has the unusually colored red pedestal, as most you find are typically the same pink/purple as the tentacles and oral disc. If it was completely white that might explain why it may have been labeled as a Crispa instead of a Mag. Colored up they are generally easy to tell apart because of how the tips pop, but unless you know to look very closely at the shape of the tips or it is slightly deflated...etc. yeah.

Either way, like I said, I've seen Mags go through some pretty rough conditions, environment and water quality. They are not a set it and forget it Nem, but I find after you initially get them adjusted you can most certainly put them on auto pilot even if your tank gets a little out of whack. Heck mine just spent 36 hours in 70 degree water during the hurricane power outage and never moved.

But yeah, I could be wrong, but if you posted this as a "please ID" thread I would look at that, say H. Mag and not even have a second thought. Now if your picture was of the same Nem but solid white I would have a very very hard time telling the difference.

Can you check the mouth? Does it looked ever so slightly open or is it completely sealed tighter then a nun?

JfGvzu1.jpg
I'm going to say it's slightly open. I had to go back and look at the picture I posted. Looking at it right now the tips aren't that bright right now but the lights are cycling down. So I don't know if the lighting skews things a little. But even with just the moon lights on it doesn't close. I don't know about when they go off I'm usually asleep by then. But it's always open in the morning before any lights come on.

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JfGvzu1.jpg

JfGvzu1.jpg
also just a side note. It's only about 6 inches from an oscillating power head so it has a lot of movement. Don't know if that makes any difference

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also just a side note. It's only about 6 inches from an oscillating power head so it has a lot of movement. Don't know if that makes any difference

Nah, check the mouth, it will give us a definitive ID

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, check the mouth, it will give us a definitive ID
Wow I just sent a really good reply to you but it didn't post. Anyway long story short. Yes I would say that the mouth is slightly open

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I just sent a really good reply to you but it didn't post. Anyway long story short. Yes I would say that the mouth is slightly open

LOL Sorry about the post getting eaten. I'll try to get a shot of the mouth of mine tomorrow, but mouth slightly open but not drooping is another characteristic that separates H. Mag's from other Nems :p

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Sorry about the post getting eaten. I'll try to get a shot of the mouth of mine tomorrow, but mouth slightly open but not drooping is another characteristic that separates H. Mag's from other Nems :p
Alrighty then. I'll quit saying that it's a sebae and start calling it a Ritteri. I'm always up for a little schooling. That may sound a little snotty but it isn't meant that way. I do appreciate you taking the time to change my mind

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty then. I'll quit saying that it's a sebae and start calling it a Ritteri. I'm always up for a little schooling. That may sound a little snotty but it isn't meant that way. I do appreciate you taking the time to change my mind

No worries mate, if you find any evidence of the contrary feel free to tag me or PM me, Mags are in my wheelhouse, Crispa's not as much so I'm always down to learn more about them. I think @OrionN has some Malu's but I don't know if he has/had any Crispa.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dying for a beautiful mag! can anyone point me in the right direction?

Diver's Den and faster fingers then me. I'm hunting one more but it has to have green tips.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking a calling people but cant find one. Ill have to be watching Divers Den then. Are they getting harder to acquire?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rose bubble tip. This picture was taken under a coral plus or purple plus ATI T5 bulb I believe. I had removed the anemone to a small separate tank to try to get my clown to discover the anemone more easily. The hosting was a success , but after several months the anemone is less brightly colored and has lost its bubbles (but has split twice!). Recently, though, it looks like the tips are starting to bubble back up again (fingers crossed). No idea why, but I have increased flow a lot so maybe that has prompted a change.

DSC_0085.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back