Show me your no sump 40 gallon breeder!

U

User1

View Badges
Yup, I have one although this picture is a bit ugly. Brief backstory. I had a 100 gallon that crashed while on vacation. Enter California, brown outs, and Enron. Power failures put stress on our AC unit and while away it went off, house got too hot, sump and top off evaporated, pumps dry, came home to a mess. Anyway threw what I could with regards to the rocks in a 29 gallon bio cube I had, rest in a tube in the garage. Son bought a rose bubble tip which split a year later. The two outgrew the 29 cube, so we bought another. One split again so we merged the tanks to the 40 breeder. Now there are 6 or 7 in there and it is full with them expanding and the large hammers. So upgrade is in progress to a 240 gallon...

11.JPG

OP
OP
Richard the Reefer

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks great for what it all went through! What are you running equipment wise?

Yup, I have one although this picture is a bit ugly. Brief backstory. I had a 100 gallon that crashed while on vacation. Enter California, brown outs, and Enron. Power failures put stress on our AC unit and while away it went off, house got too hot, sump and top off evaporated, pumps dry, came home to a mess. Anyway threw what I could with regards to the rocks in a 29 gallon bio cube I had, rest in a tube in the garage. Son bought a rose bubble tip which split a year later. The two outgrew the 29 cube, so we bought another. One split again so we merged the tanks to the 40 breeder. Now there are 6 or 7 in there and it is full with them expanding and the large hammers. So upgrade is in progress to a 240 gallon...

11.JPG

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks. LED lighting - multi-channel Borealis Luxeon Arrays which are no longer made. Dimming, cloud, and storm mode(s) are done using a ReefAngel controller. CPR Pak Bak skimmer, RW4, RW8 power heads - again controlled by the ReefAngel with ReefCrest mode. Fish wise, coral beauty, pair of clowns, pair of pajama cardinals, lawnmower blenny. Coral wise 4 large hammers, golden leather, finger leather (I think), lots of xenia, kenya tree, green button polyps, blue clove polyps, and the anemone's. Current breeder is about 4 years old after consolidating the bio-cubes we had a 4 year life pre-merger.

Over all it isn't bad but it could also be better. The hammers are too large and should have been fragged, given away, or turned in to the fish store for credit. The anemone's are too many. I tried to remove them but didn't want to damage the foot. Thus the numbers. The most recent split was my fault. I was doing some maintenance work, dropped a rock on one, didn't see it, and it was somewhat pinched between. It split - not intentional but better than death. Honestly, the 40 breeder has an amazing foot print and I really enjoy it. I just wish I planned it a bit better instead of just merging the tanks. I could have used a bit more rock and maybe thin out the hammers.

Bigtex817

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show your full setup since your not running a sump? I have a fluval 13.5 and want to upgrade to something a little bigger with no sump due to restrictions where I live. I would like to know more about you filtration, pumps and are you running a refugium?

OP
OP
Richard the Reefer

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I am doing! Can't stand my 13.5!! I have a CPR large hob refugium, but my tank is in the cycle so I cant rate it as of yet. No other filtration at the moment.

Can you show your full setup since your not running a sump? I have a fluval 13.5 and want to upgrade to something a little bigger with no sump due to restrictions where I live. I would like to know more about you filtration, pumps and are you running a refugium?

U

User1

View Badges

The image I uploaded is pretty much it. It is resting on a stand made out of 2x4's. The LED's are mounted using the standard box hardware store metal wire wrack shelf. CPR skimmer is on the left side of the tank - it is a hang on back type. No sump. Just the two power heads I mentioned. Filter is the rock and sand - Berlin style. If I had to do it again I would do everything the same with the exception of adding a deeper sand bed. Main issue I had prior to using the skimmer was a film on the surface. Skimmer helped has did pointing a power head towards the surface. A overflow and sump would have helped in this regard.

You don't need a sump and many do it without. Just set up the tank with enough rock, seed it, and you are off and running. Fish numbers of course will vary as will their size. The Coral Beauty I mentioned I have probably shouldn't be in there but it is small enough still that it isn't a issue. If you search around for 40 breeder images some folks have done some good aquascape that gives some depth and places for fish to hide. I think that is one key thing. Having a safety place for the fish you keep - just like people, they need their time out and rest place. If they don't and say you go with a minimal aquascape I think it leads to squabbling and stress over the best place to spawn or sleep...go figure.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back