Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still some work to do, but I got the tank back up and running late last night after the sump/plumbing/pump/reactors swap. I still need to do my dosing lines from the DOS, organize the cables a tad better and add my lighting. I'll get some pictures with my good camera once I get a chance.

IMG_7676 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7681 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7696 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr
So what correct fitting would go from the output of the L1 to the 1" schedule 80 pipe? Thanks

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sharkz and @Jonathan Iu... here's a breakdown using colored furniture grade PVC and 1" main piping... if you are using 3/4" main piping, then simply substitute the 1" parts for 3/4".

PIPING
  • 1/2"
  • 1"

COLORED FITTINGS
  • (4) 1" 90 degree elbows
  • (1) 1" 45 degree elbow
  • (3) 1" tees
  • (9) 1/2" 90 degree elbows (may need 2 extra if you are doing the same sump as I have)

STANDARD SCHEDULE 40/80 FITTINGS
  • (1) 1" True Union
  • (3) 1" x 1/2" bushings
  • (3) 1/2" gate valves
  • (6) 1/2" MPT x 1/2" SLIP adapters (for top of reactors)
  • (1) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting)

ADDITIONAL FITTINGS NEEDED IF DOING THE MAIN AND EMERGENCY DRAINS LIKE MINE
  • (2) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting) NOTE: You will need to purchase 2 additional Red Sea barbed return assemblies.
  • (1) 1" gate valve

O-RINGS NEEDED FOR ADAPTERS ON TOP OF REACTORS
  • (12) I.D. of 11/16" with an O.D. of 7/8" with a thickness of 3/32"

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Construction

I recommend getting this kit above to keep at your house... has a ton of different sizes and is cheap. I actually have this kit and the metric version. You never know what you might need an o-ring for around the house!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were some posts on this thread quite a few pages back from a guy that does aluminum work and he makes a mounting arm for the Kessil AP700. There doesn't seem to be any way to search this thread. Does anyone have a link to this guy's website?

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sharkz and @Jonathan Iu... here's a breakdown using colored furniture grade PVC and 1" main piping... if you are using 3/4" main piping, then simply substitute the 1" parts for 3/4".

PIPING
  • 1/2"
  • 1"

COLORED FITTINGS
  • (1) 1" 45 degree elbow
  • (3) 1" tees
  • (9) 1/2" 90 degree elbows (may need 2 extra if you are doing the same sump as I have)

• (1) 1" True Union
  • (3) 1" x 1/2" bushings
  • (3) 1/2" gate valves

• (2) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting) NOTE: You will need to purchase 2 additional Red Sea barbed return assemblies.
  • (1) 1" gate valve

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Construction

I recommend getting this kit above to keep at your house... has a ton of different sizes and is cheap. I actually have this kit and the metric version. You never know what you might need an o-ring for around the house!
Thank you Toby for taking the time to get us this ! You are da man. Is the piping schedule 40 and the elbows schedule 80?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Toby for taking the time to get us this ! You are da man

No problem man! Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you end up doing standard schedule 40 or 80 for everything, then you will not need the 3 bushing reducers... you can simply buy tees that have the reducer built in.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem man! Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you end up doing standard schedule 40 or 80 for everything, then you will not need the 3 bushing reducers... you can simply buy tees that have the reducer built in.
Thanks ! Btw are your colored pipes schedule 40?

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PIPING
  • 1/2"
  • 1"

COLORED FITTINGS
  • (1) 1" 45 degree elbow
  • (3) 1" tees

• (1) 1" True Union
  • (3) 1" x 1/2" bushings
  • (3) 1/2" gate valves

• (1) 1" gate valve

Thanks for posting this @Broadfield - I came here tonight to ask you how you replaced the primary drain assembly. I'll leave the emergency alone for now. Mine has started to give some issues. I have to tune it every day now.

Can you take a minute to make sure I'm ordering the correct stuff - all from PVCfittingsonline.com

• 1" gate valve
  • 1" grey PVC
  • 3/4" MPT x 1" slip.
Is there anything I'm missing?

red_sea_assembly.jpg

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! Btw are your colored pipes schedule 40?

Correct, all colored furniture grade PVC is schedule 40.

Thanks for posting this @Broadfield - I came here tonight to ask you how you replaced the primary drain assembly. I'll leave the emergency alone for now. Mine has started to give some issues. I have to tune it every day now.

Can you take a minute to make sure I'm ordering the correct stuff - all from PVCfittingsonline.com

• 1" gate valve
  • 1" grey PVC
  • 3/4" MPT x 1" slip.
Is there anything I'm missing?

red_sea_assembly.jpg

All of that is correct, but you will need to order a replacement Red Sea barbed return fitting assembly... then simply remove the barbed section and replace it with the 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP. It's the circled part:

Reefer Fitting.jpg

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby thanks for spending time making that list. Did you purchase the colored PVC from pvcfittingsonline.com as well? Just wondering how many feet of the colored PVC you purchased? I really have no idea because I haven't done any plumbing but I'm about to learn :)

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby thanks for spending time making that list. Did you purchase the colored PVC from pvcfittingsonline.com as well? Just wondering how many feet of the colored PVC you purchased? I really have no idea because I haven't done any plumbing but I'm about to learn :)

I purchased the colored piping from BRS... it comes in 58" lengths. So you will need two of the 1/2" and two of the 1". I purchased the colored fittings from Aquarium Speciality and Amazon. I purchased all of the schedule 80 from PVCfittingsonline.com.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, all colored furniture grade PVC is schedule 40.

All of that is correct, but you will need to order a replacement Red Sea barbed return fitting assembly... then simply remove the barbed section and replace it with the 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP. It's the circled part:

Reefer Fitting.jpg
Can you use the coralvue 1" pvc adapter instead of the 3/4 mpt x 1" slip?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use the coralvue 1" pvc adapter instead of the 3/4 mpt x 1" slip?

No you cannot, they are not correct. They use a 3/4" MPT x metric SLIP... totally worthless unless you are wanting to do metric pipe;)

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you cannot, they are not correct. They use a 3/4" MPT x metric SLIP... totally worthless unless you are wanting to do metric pipe;)
Ok thanks . I'm picking up thre stuff from AS now. The slip adapter and gate valves can only be found from pvc fittings ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back