blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liking the color! How's that dosing unit? I'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon!

Also what magnet scrapers are/is everyone using?

Used to use magfloat but switched to the flipper and wish I had started with them.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Two little fishes nano, stopped using it because it started to rust and left a patch on the glass. Now I'm going with the flipper.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man lots of people on the flipper lol. I liked the wood handles of the Algae Free magnets so I went for the Hammerhead. I just saw they got a pretty decent sale on it at BRS too.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't everybody's thing, but I decided to give the Zeovit System a try since I've seen some pretty awesome tanks running it. I had a few questions about it so I'm hoping someone out there is running this system or has and can maybe answer them for me.

1. Do I need to run the Zeo carbon or is the BRS Rox 0.8 ok? I think I remember reading somewhere that some other carbons were ok, but not all
2. I have been running GFO, but again, I think I read that this should not be done?
3. If I don't run GFO, is there something else that I could run in my second reactor, or should I leave it unused for now?
4. I read a lot of stuff about the Zeo system and can't remember everything that was commonly suggested, I started my system with Live Sand, should this make much of a difference? I really have not intentions of switching it.
5. Lastly, after I get my tank running with the basic four, is there anything you would recommend adding to my dosing regiment or any of the basic four that don't need to be dosed constantly?

Thanks for any help you can give! I am open to any suggestions

IMG_0281.JPG

dburkart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Flipper for the past 2 1/2 years. It is great, just don't get any sand between the Flipper and the glass.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't everybody's thing, but I decided to give the Zeovit System a try since I've seen some pretty awesome tanks running it. I had a few questions about it so I'm hoping someone out there is running this system or has and can maybe answer them for me.

1. Do I need to run the Zeo carbon or is the BRS Rox 0.8 ok? I think I remember reading somewhere that some other carbons were ok, but not all
2. I have been running GFO, but again, I think I read that this should not be done?
3. If I don't run GFO, is there something else that I could run in my second reactor, or should I leave it unused for now?
4. I read a lot of stuff about the Zeo system and can't remember everything that was commonly suggested, I started my system with Live Sand, should this make much of a difference? I really have not intentions of switching it.
5. Lastly, after I get my tank running with the basic four, is there anything you would recommend adding to my dosing regiment or any of the basic four that don't need to be dosed constantly?

Thanks for any help you can give! I am open to any suggestions

IMG_0281.JPG

1.) Zeo Carbon is less aggressive than Rox 0.8, but its what Im using as well. I use a little less than suggested and its not been an issue. Seachem carbon is the most often suggested replacement for the Zeo Carbon, as it is cheaper and more widely available.
2.)If you are already running GFO, then you'll likely want to ween yourself off of it - but i wouldn't just stop cold turkey. Your system will shock and stall, which will just get you frustrated. Assuming you change it every couple of weeks, just cut your next change amount by half, then half again a week or two later - by then you should have your system up and running well,
3.) I only had one reactor in my sump (for carbon) and I even removed that. If your system is up and running correctly, you shouldn't need to run anything else.
4.)It shouldn't matter at all. I started mine with everything dry and didn't even cure the rock.
5.) Honestly, you wont know until your system is running. I would suggest not using the ZeoFood and using Sponge Power instead (per the 14 day cycle guide found here) once the initial cycle is completed. I found that ZeoFood just generated more film algae on the glass, and after ceasing to use it, I haven't noticed any change in my corals at all. Im seven months in and haven't had to use any other additive. A lot of it is tied to your specific tank and its inhabitants. Really the most important part is to get your parameters in the right level and stable. After that, its all about keeping things there... and the water changes - if you skip out on a WC or two, the tank will let you know :) Once you get on a schedule, its really not a hard system to manage at all.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you that mail ordered your tanks, how long did it take to arrive?
I ordered mine on Feb 26. It was shipped out on the 3rd. It got to town on the 10th but wasn't able to get delivered until the 14 because of the freight company's schedule. I ordered a 250 from BRS. BRS orders them on Weds. and RedSea ships them on Friday of that same week ordered. Funny thing is I didn't get the email with tracking until yesterday after the tank had been delivered for two days. I did get it from the customer service chat online the day it arrived in town, then saw how long it took.

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered mine on Feb 26. It was shipped out on the 3rd. It got to town on the 10th but wasn't able to get delivered until the 14 because of the freight company's schedule. I ordered a 250 from BRS. BRS orders them on Weds. and RedSea ships them on Friday of that same week ordered. Funny thing is I didn't get the email with tracking until yesterday after the tank had been delivered for two days. I did get it from the customer service chat online the day it arrived in town, then saw how long it took.
Thanks for the info. I ordered mine from BRS as well.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.) Zeo Carbon is less aggressive than Rox 0.8, but its what Im using as well. I use a little less than suggested and its not been an issue. Seachem carbon is the most often suggested replacement for the Zeo Carbon, as it is cheaper and more widely available.
2.)If you are already running GFO, then you'll likely want to ween yourself off of it - but i wouldn't just stop cold turkey. Your system will shock and stall, which will just get you frustrated. Assuming you change it every couple of weeks, just cut your next change amount by half, then half again a week or two later - by then you should have your system up and running well,
3.) I only had one reactor in my sump (for carbon) and I even removed that. If your system is up and running correctly, you shouldn't need to run anything else.
4.)It shouldn't matter at all. I started mine with everything dry and didn't even cure the rock.
5.) Honestly, you wont know until your system is running. I would suggest not using the ZeoFood and using Sponge Power instead (per the 14 day cycle guide found here) once the initial cycle is completed. I found that ZeoFood just generated more film algae on the glass, and after ceasing to use it, I haven't noticed any change in my corals at all. Im seven months in and haven't had to use any other additive. A lot of it is tied to your specific tank and its inhabitants. Really the most important part is to get your parameters in the right level and stable. After that, its all about keeping things there... and the water changes - if you skip out on a WC or two, the tank will let you know :) Once you get on a schedule, its really not a hard system to manage at all.

Thanks for all the info. This will help me get it up and running for sure. Just waiting on the rest of the plumbing and the new sump to arrive so I can get it up and going. :D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back