STJ1229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think having it drain into the filter sock is ideal. It would help prevent algae escaping to your main display. I can also see a fair amount of noise being made by the water trickling into the filter sock. Just my thoughts.

That's what I was thinking and having more options then just one. Not sure witch approach to take on this idea since I only have one shot at it. The only reason I've been thinking about this idea is because I've been having some bubble algae and cyano in my Reefer 170 and was thinking about ordering a algae scrubber. then thought about this little tank since I don't use it as a ATO. I was going to make it a fuge but then again imo I don't think a fuge that small would really pack a punch.

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have them cranked up to most the time?

I think I will be running lagoon and reef mode, waves scare me

I can get my mp10 up against the back wall, tried it once and it fell off. :( dunno if certain mp10 have variations in the magnet or what

You using a reefer 350?

I have the reefer 250. I know exactly what you are talking about. It happen to me twice, but once I anchored the mp10 dry side with the wire holder, I lined up the wet side, then turned it on with no issues. You just have to make sure that your wires on your mp10 are facing up, and then connect them to the double sized wire holder with a zip tie. That way they won't budge once they kick on. Putting them on while they are running is a no go. They must be off.

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go off Red Sea recommendation of 530gph, then no. Accounting for head the Sicce 2.0 with drop you to somewhere in the ball park of 350gph. I would suggest the Sicce 3.5 and dial it back as need if you wanted to keep with Red Sea's recommendation.

Thanks for the info! Brand new Sicce 2.0 for sale!!!:D

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04da2e210b1f77ce4f0c4c2510865443.jpg

Here's mine on my XL425:
fb668872f58505f714431e325bd45caa.jpg

e5b5968b7aa4f07007c95bd3b7946d2c.jpg

My baffle finally arrived; and as I was setting it up guess what?! Skimmer footprint is too big!

Anyway, I was thinking of the flow of things and noticed that like you guys, I setup the refugium before the skimmer. Wouldn't the skimmer cup become the new home of pods and hinder their chances of making their way to the display? Lol :headspin:

If I'm primarily trying to utilize the fuge to cultivate pods, would it be a smarter idea to place the skimmer up front next to the filter socks and then the fuge behind it?

f29799895988d572b361690433896f8a.jpg

Last edited:

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, I was thinking of the flow of things and noticed that like you guys, I setup the refugium before the skimmer. Wouldn't the skimmer cup become the new home of pods and hinder their chances of making their way to the display? Lol :headspin:

I think this is a hotly debated thing. Pods will get into the skimmer for sure. But would it be a crazy amount? I want it for pods and nutrient export. A few methods like the triton method want it first.

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My baffle finally arrived; and as I was setting it up guess what?! Skimmer footprint is too big!

If I'm primarily trying to utilize the fuge to cultivate pods, would it be a smarter idea to place the skimmer up front next to the filter socks and then the fuge behind it?

Honestly, I'm not sure many pods are getting past the bubble trap/sponge :rolleyes:. In any case, this weekend I plan on switching the skimmer and refugium sections, removing the bubble trap, and swapping out both Eheim Jager heaters with shorter heaters. Those 300W Jagers are humongous (!) and would not fit in the first section with the BM Curve 7 skimmer.

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my Fuge drain to return into the Vectra return pump chamber, that way the refugium water goes straight back up into the tank.

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my Fuge drain to return into the Vectra return pump chamber, that way the refugium water goes straight back up into the tank.

Assuming you have a separate refugium? My fuge is in the sump separated by a baffle. Unfortunately, I don't have space for an external/separate refugium tank.

Tofty85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've noticed that a lot of people are turning the ATO tank into a fuge. Did anybody turn it into a algae scrubber? I'm thinking about doing this. Same style with the drilled holes just on the short sides of the tank; one hole for inlet with pvc pipe into the bulkhead with a cap and mesh screen, other side drain hole and an emergency drain hole above it.
I've done this to my 250 reservoir, i put a bulkhead on the bottom so it drain into filter socks, i don't use it anymore as i found the reservoir is too wide so the screen wasn't close enough to the LEDs on the side, i only lit it from one side, i got some growth but nothing extreme to make a difference, i believe i posted pictures of this earlier on in this thread, I'm sure if you got the lighting correct and available nutrients it would work brilliantly

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple new pictures of my 250. Nothing special but I feel like it's finally coming along pretty good. Have definitely seen some improvements in growth and look of my corals since getting the CO2 scrubber going. Also got my lid in from Artfully Acrylic. Really happy with the fit and finish of it. The cutouts for my light mounts was a little tighter than I wanted but I was able to make it work. Took just over a month to get it so a little sooner than the 6 weeks I was expecting.

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FDEF2D8A-726C-4350-B408-9234F75A4736.jpg

Speaks for itself I think...

Oh man... I am so so sorry :( Red Sea customer support has been really awesome everytime Ive dealt with them, so Im sure they will get it all taken care of for you... but still... thats a painful picture :(

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple new pictures of my 250. Nothing special but I feel like it's finally coming along pretty good. Have definitely seen some improvements in growth and look of my corals since getting the CO2 scrubber going. Also got my lid in from Artfully Acrylic. Really happy with the fit and finish of it. The cutouts for my light mounts was a little tighter than I wanted but I was able to make it work. Took just over a month to get it so a little sooner than the 6 weeks I was expecting.

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

What intensity are you running on the ap700 with it mounted so low?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. To wait for so long and have it arrive broken really sucks. But when you ship glass there are going to be casualties. I'm not mad. I immediately called BRS and Eric is handling it with a quickness. Red Sea is sending a new one. I figured I would go through BRS rather than call Red Sea direct. I know they'll want to do right by one of their major distributors. They know distributors don't like to carry products that aren't backed very well by the manufacturer.

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What intensity are you running on the ap700 with it mounted so low?

My peak intensity is at 60% for 4 hours right now, but I do have the major diffusion optical kit on mine so I know I'm losing some power with that. I would assume the actual output getting through would be somewhere between 40-45%. I think Kessil claims less than 15% but if I remember right BRS found it lost a little more than that when they tested it.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. To wait for so long and have it arrive broken really sucks. But when you ship glass there are going to be casualties. I'm not mad. I immediately called BRS and Eric is handling it with a quickness. Red Sea is sending a new one. I figured I would go through BRS rather than call Red Sea direct. I know they'll want to do right by one of their major distributors. They know distributors don't like to carry products that aren't backed very well by the manufacturer.
Looks really nice

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back