kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested two designs for Elite Aquatics. My findings were that one design worked best when I had a higher flow through the sump. While the other design worked better when there was a slower flow through the sump. I still use them and they work pretty good on quieting down the trickle. However, they will not work on the Red Sea sized socks... they need to be used with standard 4" socks.

I use the new filter media cups that fit right in place. Will the silencers work there? What exactly is the problem with the Red Sea size that wouldn’t work? Diameter too big or small?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the new filter media cups that fit right in place. Will the silencers work there? What exactly is the problem with the Red Sea size that wouldn’t work? Diameter too big or small?

The silencers sit down inside the plastic lip of the sock... they are really snug. So they definitely would not fit the Red Sea sized socks.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea socks just have smaller openings? I’m wondering if it will work in the new Filter Media Cups.

Red Sea socks are not 4" socks... they are a smaller diameter.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you measure the outer diameter of the silencer for me? Then I can measure the filter cup and see if that will fit? It says 4” cup, and it fits right into the Red Sea slide out filter holder.

My digital caliper says 3.639" or a fat 3-5/8"

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys do to quiet down your filter sock waterfall noise?

I temporarily stuck an extra AquaMaxx XL reactor sponge over the hole, which diffuses the waterfall noise completely. Not a great permanent solution, as the sponge will eventually fall through. I'm now using a filter sock cup instead of a sock, but it doesn't really change anything.

I saw this, will it fit?
https://advancedacrylics.com/collections/other-products/products/filter-sock-silencer

I saw this thread by @Elite-Aquatics :
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/filter-sock-silencers.281114/

@Broadfield was testing the socks, but he also said it probably won't work for Red Sea users:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/filter-sock-silencers.281114/#post-3455944

But there was never any definite answer to whether they work or not.

I'm thinking of just finding a tupperware top and drilling holes through it to see if that works
I don't think anyone's making filter sock silencers for the reefer stock sumps. If we could get a bunch of us together for a group buy maybe someone could fashion a template to make a bunch. But do they work? Has anyone used one that's for standard socks?

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for all the Reefer 250 owners, would 2 mp10 qd it’s enough flow for lps and zoas tank or would 2 mp40s would be better for a Reefer 250 ? Tia.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for all the Reefer 250 owners, would 2 mp10 qd it’s enough flow for lps and zoas tank or would 2 mp40s would be better for a Reefer 250 ? Tia.

Two MP40s would be an insane amount of flow in a 250, for even an SPS tank... let alone a LPS/softies tank.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 MP10s would be enough flow. The issue is that MP10s are specd for 3/8" glass and I found the adhesion through the glass a little weak on my 250. It did work, but was a little noisier. I now have 2 MP40's mainly because they are specd for 1/2" glass. I have them turned down to 33%, but they provide great wide flow and are dead silent. I have them on the rear of the tan on either side so they work with the overflow to create a gyre-like flow over the top to the front and down across the gravel to the back and back up

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I heard about the issue with the mp10s an the thickness of the glass not working so good
I currently have a maxspect gyre and it’s enough flow I just like the looks of vortec more though

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I heard about the issue with the mp10s an the thickness of the glass not working so good
I currently have a maxspect gyre and it’s enough flow I just like the looks of vortec more though

Where did you mount the gyre? Mine is on the glass overflow and totally blends in.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone's making filter sock silencers for the reefer stock sumps. If we could get a bunch of us together for a group buy maybe someone could fashion a template to make a bunch. But do they work? Has anyone used one that's for standard socks?
I started a group buy thread in the buy, sell, trade forum to get interest for stock reefer sump sock silencers. Here is the link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...lencer-for-stock-red-sea-reefer-sumps.329929/

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on the left side of the tank, the glass overflow it’s a cool spot never thought about it can you post a pic ?

Yeah, a little snug with the overflow silcencer and a bit offset, but you can move the gyre pump over a bit to make it centered. In the photo I didn't move it over as much, but it's currently centered. Here's a photo a few weeks back while cycling:

37107617871_3eeb1aaf53_b.jpg

Further away it's not at all an eye sore:

37107622471_15a2f75dd5_b.jpg

And lastly with the room lights off:

37439787656_9d51ab8c78_b.jpg

My build thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kinetic-red-sea-reefer-170.323097/

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a little snug with the overflow silcencer and a bit offset, but you can move the gyre pump over a bit to make it centered. In the photo I didn't move it over as much, but it's currently centered. Here's a photo a few weeks back while cycling:

37107617871_3eeb1aaf53_b.jpg

Further away it's not at all an eye sore:

37107622471_15a2f75dd5_b.jpg

And lastly with the room lights off:

37439787656_9d51ab8c78_b.jpg

My build thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kinetic-red-sea-reefer-170.323097/
Your tank looks awesome!! I’m gonna check out ur build thread as soon as I can thanks for the pics.

Special_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you Reefer owners here, is there anything preventing setting up a 525 XL with a basement sump? I'm working on my basement sump room now and would like to hook up the tank upstairs. Will a Reefer work in this configuration?

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to order equipment for my reefer 250. I'm looking for a 1" sand bed. I'm wonder if one 30lb bag of tropic eden mesoflakes will be enough or if ill need to get another 30lb bag of sand. Anyone have any experience with this sand and know if 30lbs will be enough for 1"

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to order equipment for my reefer 250. I'm looking for a 1" sand bed. I'm wonder if one 30lb bag of tropic eden mesoflakes will be enough or if ill need to get another 30lb bag of sand. Anyone have any experience with this sand and know if 30lbs will be enough for 1"

I have the reefer 250 as well & used about 45# total for 1.5" sand bed, so I think you'd be right on with only 30# for 1" -- hope that helps!

Back