kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a flipper, and while it's probably the best magnet cleaner I've ever had, it still takes a lot longer to use than a regular scraper (like Kent). With the kent, I don't get wet either, but probably keep drier. When you pull the flipper out of the water, it's soaking wet (the spongy scrubber side at least). I wouldn't leave it in there in between cleanings.

A kent scraper, you just go up and down, you can control the pressure and speed, you can knock sand off the blade easily if you need, pull it out of the water real quick to feel the blade for anything caught on it. I guess the only downside is you might keep hitting your light fixture.

I've been using both the kent scraper and flipper. Kent scraper for the overflow walls, but flipper for the rest... though I feel like the flipper is more work.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flipper, and while it's probably the best magnet cleaner I've ever had, it still takes a lot longer to use than a regular scraper (like Kent). With the kent, I don't get wet either, but probably keep drier. When you pull the flipper out of the water, it's soaking wet (the spongy scrubber side at least). I wouldn't leave it in there in between cleanings.

A kent scraper, you just go up and down, you can control the pressure and speed, you can knock sand off the blade easily if you need, pull it out of the water real quick to feel the blade for anything caught on it. I guess the only downside is you might keep hitting your light fixture.

I've been using both the kent scraper and flipper. Kent scraper for the overflow walls, but flipper for the rest... though I feel like the flipper is more work.
I agree nothing safer and better than manual labor [emoji3] I have the gadget that has attachments to clean and scraper for the glass

jjh302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, I’m currently setting up my RSR250 and I’m able to have water in it by the weekend, but I’m procrastinating because I can’t decide if my Apex system will be ok being installed inside the cabinet with the sump. I know some have built fancy partitions inside their cabinets and some have put them on the outside but will it be ok inside the cabinet mounted as high as possible?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question for Red Sea Reefer owners... what is the depth of your waterline from the top rim of the glass?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, I’m currently setting up my RSR250 and I’m able to have water in it by the weekend, but I’m procrastinating because I can’t decide if my Apex system will be ok being installed inside the cabinet with the sump. I know some have built fancy partitions inside their cabinets and some have put them on the outside but will it be ok inside the cabinet mounted as high as possible?

I think it would be fine. I had my old one inside the cabinet for years, but the back of my cabinet was open (not closed). I think the RSR250 has a big opening for a chiller, so you should be OK. I just have about 5.5" behind my tank where I hid a thin piece of board (marker board actually) and mounted everything to it with strong velcro.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your concerns heat? Humidity? Space? I have mine in there. I took a piece of plywood as tall as the interior and not quite as wide as the opening and velcroed the top of the board to the top inside of the cabinet. This way I can remove the board with everything mounted on it to remove and add components and help with cord management. Having the Apex and EB832 in there really leads to a lot of cords. I ended up mounting the power supplies for everything (radions, vortechs, return DC pump...) on the back of the board (so they are in the back, outside of the cabinet) since they generate so much heat and take up so much room. Will be putting a splash guard above them just in case.

I thought about doing the super-neat cord management (in conduits, neatly routed to the walls...), but those tend to make it a PITA to add and remove components, so I just used a lot of zipties and managed each component's cords individually, although it looks a lot messier.

jjh302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your concerns heat? Humidity? Space? I have mine in there. I took a piece of plywood as tall as the interior and not quite as wide as the opening and velcroed the top of the board to the top inside of the cabinet. This way I can remove the board with everything mounted on it to remove and add components and help with cord management. Having the Apex and EB832 in there really leads to a lot of cords. I ended up mounting the power supplies for everything (radions, vortechs, return DC pump...) on the back of the board (so they are in the back, outside of the cabinet) since they generate so much heat and take up so much room. Will be putting a splash guard above them just in case.

I thought about doing the super-neat cord management (in conduits, neatly routed to the walls...), but those tend to make it a PITA to add and remove components, so I just used a lot of zipties and managed each component's cords individually, although it looks a lot messier.

My main concern is humidity, salt creep, splashing...etc. Might you be able to supply a pic of your cabinet setup so I can get some ideas?

Thanks

marito09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji16]
8c2930116b75e5376a33ed7066d8c433.jpg

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question for Red Sea Reefer owners... what is the depth of your waterline from the top rim of the glass?

Mine is right at 1-1/4"

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the new to SW section but I probably should have posted it here. Sorry for the dupe.

I was pretty successful with FW but I'm still very new to SW. I'm currently running a 16g BioCube with an AI 26. I seem to be past the initial bumps and bruises of a start up and have gotten in the habit of water changes and other maintenance. It's been set up for 6 months now and things seem pretty steady.

I'd like to upgrade to a larger tank and I really like the clean look of the Red Sea Reefer set ups. I'm thinking of either the 425 XL or the 525 XL. The 425 has 88g in the display with 24g in the sump, total 112g. The 525 has 108g in the display with 31g in the sump, total 139.

Other than the obvious size difference allowing more "stuff" in the larger of the two, is there any significant advantage of one over the other? Or for that matter, downside to a larger tank vs. smaller tank? I've got room for either so space isn't the issue.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the new to SW section but I probably should have posted it here. Sorry for the dupe.

I was pretty successful with FW but I'm still very new to SW. I'm currently running a 16g BioCube with an AI 26. I seem to be past the initial bumps and bruises of a start up and have gotten in the habit of water changes and other maintenance. It's been set up for 6 months now and things seem pretty steady.

I'd like to upgrade to a larger tank and I really like the clean look of the Red Sea Reefer set ups. I'm thinking of either the 425 XL or the 525 XL. The 425 has 88g in the display with 24g in the sump, total 112g. The 525 has 108g in the display with 31g in the sump, total 139.

Other than the obvious size difference allowing more "stuff" in the larger of the two, is there any significant advantage of one over the other? Or for that matter, downside to a larger tank vs. smaller tank? I've got room for either so space isn't the issue.

Thoughts?

Always go with the largest tank you can afford and fit. And when I say afford, I'm not just talking about the cost of the tank. As everything could potentially be more expensive on the larger tank... lighting, skimmer, pumps, powerheads, water changes, more livestock etc. With that being said, there's not much size difference between the two tanks you are considering. So you will most likely use the same equipment no matter which one you choose. The only difference will probably be lighting.

It's typically easier to keep things stable in a larger tank over a smaller tank... sudden changes do not affect a larger volume of water as much as a smaller volume of water. Again though, these tanks are close enough in size that it really won't matter. I would say the 5ft length of the 525 will allow you to keep some fish happier than if they were in the 4ft tank.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?

Always go as large as you can afford and fit. Or later on you will wish you had :D That said I love my 425, but I certainly would not have complained about getting the 525.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always go with the largest tank you can afford and fit. And when I say afford, I'm not just talking about the cost of the tank. As everything could potentially be more expensive on the larger tank... lighting, skimmer, pumps, powerheads, water changes, more livestock etc. With that being said, there's not much size difference between the two tanks you are considering. So you will most likely use the same equipment no matter which one you choose. The only difference will probably be lighting.

It's typically easier to keep things stable in a larger tank over a smaller tank... sudden changes do not affect a larger volume of water as much as a smaller volume of water. Again though, these tanks are close enough in size that it really won't matter. I would say the 5ft length of the 525 will allow you to keep some fish happier than if they were in the 4ft tank.

Thanks.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always go as large as you can afford and fit. Or later on you will wish you had :D That said I love my 425, but I certainly would not have complained about getting the 525.
Yeah, my wife said to get what I want so I don't regret it later. I'll order the 525 this weekend. Now the big problem is white or black cabinet? :D

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about converting my ATO container to and refugium. Im not really a fan of drilling my cabinet or making screw holes so i came up with the idea to wrap the ATO container in a 5 meter long 4:1 red:blue led plant growth strip which people currently use to make DIY cheato reactors, the principal is pretty much the same but I would wrap the ATO tank instead.

Has anyone done this?
4d306906f97bab23ca0bcbc082d0ccda.jpg

Easy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back