ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra locline is to just extend the nozzle even further below the waterline?

Yeah... not sure how to explain this without a picture though, but I'll give it a shot. Before I got the drop adapter, I was using a threaded adapter wrapped in teflon tape for the return nozzle. I had this nozzle (black line) pointed "up", then it attached to a 'Y' splitter (Grey line) and each split had three locline segements (blue lines) on them before ending in a RFG nozzle (green). Since the return nozzle was point up and I wanted the RFG nozzles to point towards the surface of the water (for aeration/agitation), the locline didnt have enough articulation to get the nozzles deep enough to not suck in air. Adding another section allowed the lines to pivot enough so the nozzles were far enough below the water line to not suck air. Hopefully that made sense out in the world, rather than just in my head :confused:

Capture.PNG

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not enough flow hitting the actual sand bed. It's a tough one, because you need a balance between flow on the sand, and not blowing it over into a dune. I've heard of using larger grain sand on the top layer to help with that. I'm using Tropic Eden Mesoflakes, which does a pretty good job at staying put, but I'm thinking of getting a layer of ReefFlakes on top of that just so I can turn up the flow even more.

Yea, that makes sense. Well I think my turnover rate is 26x my display volume with these powerheads and not including the return pump. That is pretty low to begin with right?

Also, how do you add sand into an established tank? I think your idea of putting another layer of sand is a good one and I'd like to look into it as well.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I need your opinion on this one. I have RSR 350 and I am looking to go hybrid with my 2 AI Primes so question is would this work in your opinion
Screenshot_20171102-145416.png

In 36" version

Last edited:

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that makes sense. Well I think my turnover rate is 26x my display volume with these powerheads and not including the return pump. That is pretty low to begin with right?

Also, how do you add sand into an established tank? I think your idea of putting another layer of sand is a good one and I'd like to look into it as well.

26x isn't bad, but my last sps tank was 60x turnover without much problem. I'm currently around 40x including return.

For sand, just get dry dead sand, rinse it out like crazy, let dry for a day if you're using tap, then rinse again with some RO/DI and add to the tank. Shouldn't hurt a thing.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
26x isn't bad, but my last sps tank was 60x turnover without much problem. I'm currently around 40x including return.

For sand, just get dry dead sand, rinse it out like crazy, let dry for a day if you're using tap, then rinse again with some RO/DI and add to the tank. Shouldn't hurt a thing.

Cool, thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You always find a way to out do yourself broadfield! I like that alot

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated FTS from this morning. 48 hours with new H. Magnifica:

38163451012_39ac289e8a_b.jpg

Build thread here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kinetic-rsr-170.323097/

Very nice sir!... I love shooting white on white. I hate trying to shoot my black stand lol.

You always find a way to out do yourself broadfield! I like that alot

Thank you, I appreciate that. It worked out better than I had hoped... and that never happens lol. I wasn't sure how much the smoked acrylic would hide when the stand lights were off. I was afraid the white sump would still show through a little... it doesn't at all!

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the new triton 34 sump by trigger will fit in the reefer 350 or 450?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the new triton 34 sump by trigger will fit in the reefer 350 or 450?

Definitely will not fit in the 350 stand.... far too long. It will fit in the 450 nicely though. But the drains are on the wrong end... so you will need to either flip the sump and have the dosing lines at the front or leave it and run the drains all of the way over to the left side of the cabinet.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this Triton method ... Can it be run with our standard sumps and refugium mods made on the ATO container?

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this Triton method ... Can it be run with our standard sumps and refugium mods made on the ATO container?

Definitely not by using the ATO container. For the 350, you would want a refugium section of roughly 7.5 to 15 gallons. The ATO on the 350 is only 2.5 gallons. If you used the entire skimmer section as your refugium, then it would be fine at 9 gallons.... but then you wouldn't have a spot for your skimmer. It's just not designed for it... as you wouldn't run filter socks using the Triton Method either. So the filter sock section is taking up some space.

Last edited:

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice sir!... I love shooting white on white. I hate trying to shoot my black stand lol.

Yeah I feel you. My last tank had a dark/cherry stand, and it was just too difficult to shoot. This time around, had to be white. I even got the AI Hydra 52 HD+ because it was white, and was just lucky that it performs well.

I wish there was a peninsula tank in the 24 - 36" range for me, so I could really get a clear through shot without the huge black overflow in the middle. Maybe I'll win the @Red Sea 500 peninsula tank when the partner member drawing happens ;)

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feel you. My last tank had a dark/cherry stand, and it was just too difficult to shoot. This time around, had to be white. I even got the AI Hydra 52 HD+ because it was white, and was just lucky that it performs well.

I wish there was a peninsula tank in the 24 - 36" range for me, so I could really get a clear through shot without the huge black overflow in the middle. Maybe I'll win the @Red Sea 500 peninsula tank when the partner member drawing happens ;)
Not gonna happen- I'm destined to win

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back