cfendya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm new here and looking to get back into the hobby after being out for a while. I found what I think is a great deal on a Reefer 250 on Craigslist but the seller does not have the sump or plumbing in the overflow. Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent sump for a 250? The plan is for the tank to sit on a DIY stand so I won't have the size constraints of the Red Sea stand.

This is a brand new tank so I'll have to figure out the plumbing in the overflow box as well but I know if I purchase the Red Sea sump upgrade kit, it will come with all the plumbing. Is this the best route to go or are there other/better options out there. I've combed through this thread and it seems most are happy with the Red Sea stock sump so I don't have any concerns going this route but figured I'd query the group to get some feedback :)

Thanks in advance for any pointers you all can provide!

Halostemanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use egg crate to divide the skimmer section. Running like this since the start about 10 months ago. I only added the ATO refugium in last 2 weeks.
20171107_185441.jpg

Derek, this is exactly what i’m aiming for. Will be getting the little ocean baffle kit for the sump but I like hat you’ve done. I’ve already drilled the ato too but I was thinking of filling it with marine pure or maybe frags! What light do you have on the fuge? Can you post a pic of you manifold. That’s my next project! Cheers.

Derek Clifford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derek, this is exactly what i’m aiming for. Will be getting the little ocean baffle kit for the sump but I like hat you’ve done. I’ve already drilled the ato too but I was thinking of filling it with marine pure or maybe frags! What light do you have on the fuge? Can you post a pic of you manifold. That’s my next project! Cheers.

I have a Kessil A80 over the sump and a Blau Nano LED over the ATO. I am thinking of moving my Triton dosing to the ATO and putting a power head in it.
I am not sure what you want the picture of. If you mean the supply to the ATO it is the output from a deltec reactor which passing through a UV unit. I use the valve on the reactor to control the flow.

gpinto81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS
26842ffc8d3cbd5b6febbab9489fe54f.jpg

HW
7cd4febba252907142cd3aee992f9ec4.jpg

Top Down
e2a3e28576d68549a6c377825c94799f.jpg

Money Shot
7f670a6c8217184591031eb36416fba2.jpg

Looking to add another fish in the Reefer 250. Any suggestions?
Currently stocked:
1) Pair of Clowns
2) Kole tang
3) yellow tang
4) Trio of Lyre Tail Anthias
5) Sixline

Looks awesome. What kind of coral do you have? Also I see you have MP40’s on the back wall - what kind of program are you running?

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. What kind of coral do you have? Also I see you have MP40’s on the back wall - what kind of program are you running?

Thanks!
I have various SPS (over 20 different types) , and LPS (torches, hammer, frogspawn, and zoas)

I actually have two MP10s on the back wall. They are currently on a custom program. They range from pulse, reefcrest, nutrient export, gyre, steady throughout the entire 24 hr date. They max out at 80% throughout the day. I definitely thought about upgrading to MP40s to have a bigger stream of flow, but it seems more of a hassle. Here’s the sump:
19f69ead5ba9abace589511712da41e8.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm new here and looking to get back into the hobby after being out for a while. I found what I think is a great deal on a Reefer 250 on Craigslist but the seller does not have the sump or plumbing in the overflow. Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent sump for a 250? The plan is for the tank to sit on a DIY stand so I won't have the size constraints of the Red Sea stand.

This is a brand new tank so I'll have to figure out the plumbing in the overflow box as well but I know if I purchase the Red Sea sump upgrade kit, it will come with all the plumbing. Is this the best route to go or are there other/better options out there. I've combed through this thread and it seems most are happy with the Red Sea stock sump so I don't have any concerns going this route but figured I'd query the group to get some feedback :)

Thanks in advance for any pointers you all can provide!

I only have experience with Trigger Sys sumps, and they're pretty solid. If you can get one that fits your stand, you should be good to go. I don't think one or another would do better for the Red Sea, just whatever fits in your stand and has everything you need. I know that a 250 probably has about 530gph recommended return flow, so that would probably be the only requirement for the sump flow.

The plumbing for Red Sea is hard to find at local stores, I believe it's all metric. The bulkheads are pretty specialized, and I don't think you could easily replace them since they're silicon'd in. Best bet would be to get the plumbing from Red Sea. I don't have any experience with that though, probably best to reach out to them!

cfendya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have experience with Trigger Sys sumps, and they're pretty solid. If you can get one that fits your stand, you should be good to go. I don't think one or another would do better for the Red Sea, just whatever fits in your stand and has everything you need. I know that a 250 probably has about 530gph recommended return flow, so that would probably be the only requirement for the sump flow.

The plumbing for Red Sea is hard to find at local stores, I believe it's all metric. The bulkheads are pretty specialized, and I don't think you could easily replace them since they're silicon'd in. Best bet would be to get the plumbing from Red Sea. I don't have any experience with that though, probably best to reach out to them!

Thanks for the suggestions. I just found an IceCap 30 Sump off the classified section here that will fit in my stand and with it I'll plan on grabbing the Red Sea plumbing kit per your recommendations. There are a few LFS around me that are Red Sea dealers so I'm hopeful one of them can source the kit.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I just found an IceCap 30 Sump off the classified section here that will fit in my stand and with it I'll plan on grabbing the Red Sea plumbing kit per your recommendations. There are a few LFS around me that are Red Sea dealers so I'm hopeful one of them can source the kit.

You can actually just call Red Sea directly. Real people will answer your phone, and they're fairly helpful. I would do that to be sure it'll all fit before ordering it!

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it helps, but I have a 250 with 2 XR15W Gen 3 Pro's at 60% on mine. If Mystikal has XR30s at 100% maybe I should bump mine up, dang. What kind of PAR are you getting @Mystikal?

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, I just found your pictures. That's quite a nice setup you got there.

No it’s a mixed reef.
Mostly SPS. I believe I set up this tank 100% in March 2017. Most of the SPS was cut, transferred, then fragged again during that time.

The lights are about 8-9” from water line.

Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wonderful tanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back