simonsays

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a Red Sea E260 on Craigslist cheap. REALLY want this tank!! Just not in the $$ right now. .

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m about to order a varios 2 for my Reefer 170. I’m also thinking of building a refugium while I’m at it. What do you guys recommend? Ato conversion or in sump? I had a nice cart a while back with all the stuff I needed for the ato mod but I don’t anymore and forgot what sizes and bulkheads I needed.

The_Salty_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to this awesome forum, I was able to achieve a sick looking (subjective opinion) sump. Thanks to everyone who has given their input on this forum!!
IMG_6268-1.JPG

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to this awesome forum, I was able to achieve a sick looking (subjective opinion) sump. Thanks to everyone who has given their input on this forum!!
IMG_6268-1.JPG

Looking really good!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m about to order a varios 2 for my Reefer 170. I’m also thinking of building a refugium while I’m at it. What do you guys recommend? Ato conversion or in sump? I had a nice cart a while back with all the stuff I needed for the ato mod but I don’t anymore and forgot what sizes and bulkheads I needed.

VarioS pumps are a great choice (I use them) but the 2 might be slightly undersized. You can run it 100% and it'll probably do its job, but I'd recommend a VarioS-4 (which is what I use). I'm currently on 68% (using VDM and Apex Jr. to control it) and it's super quiet and efficient. I use a VarioS-2 at about 60% to put water through my carbon, chaeto reactor, and chiller, and I don't think I'd have the luxury of using the full range of the pump.

I decided against going for a refugium and just put an algae reactor together. More space in the sump means it's easier to maintain for me.

cmador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would of liked to have seen a feeding door in that screen top. Going to be a pita to feed. I use mine all the time and can even target feed through it.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would of liked to have seen a feeding door in that screen top. Going to be a pita to feed. I use mine all the time and can even target feed through it.

These lids appear to be build your own. So you would get the main frame pieces to make the rectangular shape. Then you use the "zig-zag" kit to make cutouts etc... which is what is used around the overflow and the light mounts in the first image. Thus making this lid customizable per install. I can only assume the lid kit will come with a zig-zag kit for the overflow... but that's only speculation. So you would simply use a zig-zag kit to make an opening for a feed door. Then you could simply pop a piece of acrylic in there as the door... whether it be black, clear etc.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VarioS pumps are a great choice (I use them) but the 2 might be slightly undersized. You can run it 100% and it'll probably do its job, but I'd recommend a VarioS-4 (which is what I use). I'm currently on 68% (using VDM and Apex Jr. to control it) and it's super quiet and efficient. I use a VarioS-2 at about 60% to put water through my carbon, chaeto reactor, and chiller, and I don't think I'd have the luxury of using the full range of the pump.

I decided against going for a refugium and just put an algae reactor together. More space in the sump means it's easier to maintain for me.

I might ask for you help programming it[emoji28]. I checked your tank out, it’s amazing! I like you going for the simple, I also want to stay simple but I seems like I keep adding stuff. I recently took my carbon/gfo reactor until my phosphate and silicate test kits get here. I’m trying to figure out which way to go. Keep the reactor, refugium, algae reactor or some kind of algae scrubber.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm using the Varios-2 at 50% on my 170, that's with zero manifold. A straight shot from return to tank. It's a great pump, highly recommended. If doing a manifold, recommendation for larger pump isn't a bad idea.

I did a homemade macro-alage reactor. I wish I had space for a proper fuge, the NYOS takes up alot of space.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Varios-2 at 50% on my 170, that's with zero manifold. A straight shot from return to tank. It's a great pump, highly recommended. If doing a manifold, recommendation for larger pump isn't a bad idea.

I did a homemade macro-alage reactor. I wish I had space for a proper fuge, the NYOS takes up alot of space.

VarioS-2 at 50%! I have My VarioS-4 at 68% now, no manifold as well. Do you find the flow to be sufficient? That's probably around 390gph before headloss vs. the recommended 530gph? I guess it couldn't hurt. I'm at about 714gph before headloss right now.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VarioS-2 at 50%! I have My VarioS-4 at 68% now, no manifold as well. Do you find the flow to be sufficient? That's probably around 390gph before headloss vs. the recommended 530gph? I guess it couldn't hurt. I'm at about 714gph before headloss right now.

Can't find the headloss chart, but I prefer closer to 4x turnover rather than 10x. I prefer using my gyre for in-tank flow than the return. It also makes for a quieter tank with the water flow over the socks. Return flow seems more narrow than typical prop Powerhead or Gyre.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back