Show Off and Discuss Your Red Sea Reefer Series

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Broadfield, Oct 27, 2015.

1. simonsays

simonsays Well-Known Member

Found a Red Sea E260 on Craigslist cheap. REALLY want this tank!! Just not in the $$ right now. .

2. Chris155hp

Chris155hp Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

whats cheap?

3. simonsays

4. simonsays

$750

5. Daan Hijmans

Daan Hijmans Active Member

Jezus christ.

My green monti cap already bleaches halfway in the tank at 45%

6. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

That's simply the Neptune app... not the Fusion app.

Chris155hp likes this.
  7. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

Hey guys I’m about to order a varios 2 for my Reefer 170. I’m also thinking of building a refugium while I’m at it. What do you guys recommend? Ato conversion or in sump? I had a nice cart a while back with all the stuff I needed for the ato mod but I don’t anymore and forgot what sizes and bulkheads I needed.

8. The_Salty_Reefer

The_Salty_Reefer New Member

Thanks to this awesome forum, I was able to achieve a sick looking (subjective opinion) sump. Thanks to everyone who has given their input on this forum!! IMG_6268-1.JPG

Ammocan, AMEE, seastar and 2 others like this.
  9. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looking really good!

The_Salty_Reefer likes this.
  10. The_Salty_Reefer

The_Salty_Reefer New Member

Thanks!

11. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

VarioS pumps are a great choice (I use them) but the 2 might be slightly undersized. You can run it 100% and it'll probably do its job, but I'd recommend a VarioS-4 (which is what I use). I'm currently on 68% (using VDM and Apex Jr. to control it) and it's super quiet and efficient. I use a VarioS-2 at about 60% to put water through my carbon, chaeto reactor, and chiller, and I don't think I'd have the luxury of using the full range of the pump.

I decided against going for a refugium and just put an algae reactor together. More space in the sump means it's easier to maintain for me.

MrMichael likes this.
  12. Bob The Reefer

Bob The Reefer New Member

Bump +1

13. Broadfield

14. cmador

cmador Active Member

Would of liked to have seen a feeding door in that screen top. Going to be a pita to feed. I use mine all the time and can even target feed through it.

15. Broadfield

These lids appear to be build your own. So you would get the main frame pieces to make the rectangular shape. Then you use the "zig-zag" kit to make cutouts etc... which is what is used around the overflow and the light mounts in the first image. Thus making this lid customizable per install. I can only assume the lid kit will come with a zig-zag kit for the overflow... but that's only speculation. So you would simply use a zig-zag kit to make an opening for a feed door. Then you could simply pop a piece of acrylic in there as the door... whether it be black, clear etc.

cmador likes this.
  16. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

I might ask for you help programming it. I checked your tank out, it’s amazing! I like you going for the simple, I also want to stay simple but I seems like I keep adding stuff. I recently took my carbon/gfo reactor until my phosphate and silicate test kits get here. I’m trying to figure out which way to go. Keep the reactor, refugium, algae reactor or some kind of algae scrubber.

kinetic likes this.
  17. Raptor72

Raptor72 Well-Known Member TRC Member

Can you repost where you got that screen lid? The Facebook link isn’t working when I click on it.

18. MrMichael

MrMichael Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm using the Varios-2 at 50% on my 170, that's with zero manifold. A straight shot from return to tank. It's a great pump, highly recommended. If doing a manifold, recommendation for larger pump isn't a bad idea.

I did a homemade macro-alage reactor. I wish I had space for a proper fuge, the NYOS takes up alot of space.

19. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

VarioS-2 at 50%! I have My VarioS-4 at 68% now, no manifold as well. Do you find the flow to be sufficient? That's probably around 390gph before headloss vs. the recommended 530gph? I guess it couldn't hurt. I'm at about 714gph before headloss right now.

20. MrMichael

MrMichael Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Can't find the headloss chart, but I prefer closer to 4x turnover rather than 10x. I prefer using my gyre for in-tank flow than the return. It also makes for a quieter tank with the water flow over the socks. Return flow seems more narrow than typical prop Powerhead or Gyre.

kinetic likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted