Show Off and Discuss Your Red Sea Reefer Series

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Broadfield, Oct 27, 2015.

1. sithrico

sithrico Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Well, you would purchase one for every two kessil mounting kits you have. This is an extension rod for the mount kit so it can extend down to the cabinet. The mounting kit only comes one each the extension rod is 2 each. The mounting kit comes with everything to mount both, the extension rod is just that a rod and connector. I would check everything out before you get too far into it. Does come out to be pricey going the way I did. That is why I haven't done it yet cause I already dropped 130 just for the kits and another 55 just to mount to the cabinet. Sometime I can't justify doing it. Yet, every time I think of adding a screen to the tank it would be so much easier not having the lights mounted on the tank.

Raptor72 likes this.

2. flowflezy

flowflezy Well-Known Member

what skimmer would u guys recommend for a 350? Please chime in and let me no what I see running? Thanks

3. sil40sx

sil40sx Well-Known Member

Anyone have couple spare of the return plumbing (lower part) for reefer 250 that willing to sell by any chance? They're still out of stock from Red Sea. Ugh :(

Is there another place to order these parts, or maybe other country?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  4. Raptor72

Raptor72 Well-Known Member TRC Member

Thanks for the input. I do like how the single mount looks better than the double. I do plan on getting a lid for it so I’ll see what I go with. I might just hang them since my tank will sit in a niche and the ceiling will be lower. I’ve been tossing around the idea of a canopy to hide the lights too.

sithrico likes this.
  5. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

Installed varios pump and filter cup. I think i want to replace the Red Sea valve, adjusting it is such a pain. Who has replaced the plumbing on their feeder? Is it better to purchase a new set from Red Sea to then modify them? [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Raptor72

How are you liking that filter cup? I ordered a similar one from a different manufacturer.

7. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

If you can, definitely order an extra set. You won’t be in a rush and can take your time. If you break something then you’re current setup is still good.

I got my drain adjusted by small turns every few hours. Eventually it worked. I fine tuned later by connecting the VarioS to my Apex via the VDM module.

8. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

Cool sounds good. I got to say it hasn’t bother me many times but when I’ve had to adjust it is when I don’t have time and I have to leave the house with that worry. I basically set my varios to 90% and adjusted the valve to that.

I’m so glad I went with the varios. It’s a really good pump for the money and the apex control makes it even better. It took me a while since I’m not programming pro. Do you have any special programming on your varios? All I have is to slow
    Down when feeding.

9. kinetic

I find that once I dialed it in, I haven’t needed to change it (2 months so far). Are you changing the drain multiple times a day?

I have two feed settings for it, slow and stop. I stopped using slow and just use stop ~8% for me.

10. Raptor72

Amee, what do you mean by adjusting your drain? Sorry, I’m still waiting for mine to show up.

11. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

No I actually don’t have to adjust it much. So I don’t mind I guess I just wanted to mess with plumbing lol.

I use stop also at 8%. I can make it down all the way to 6 but 8 holds just fine. This is something I like because I have the dual RFG nozzles and I don’t have all that water drain to the bottom.

12. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

You will see when it arrives. It’s basically a valve that controls how fast the water drains to the sump. It’s very delicate so fine tuning takes some time. Honestly I think when I first got the tank it was super easy.

Raptor72 likes this.
  13. finallysalty

finallysalty Well-Known Member

Love the thread! I have been out of reef for a while and am about to pull the trigger on a 350 deluxe.

Any suggestions or needs that don't come with it? I know the ATO is undersized, I plan on addressing that.

14. kinetic

Yeah I recently put in RFG nozzles too, though mine are having water vortex problems. Without those, 6% was ok. I'm not sure which varios you're using, but I'm using the varios-4.

If you like tinkering, get a new set and tinker with that. But really, it's not worth tinkering with. If it's working, you shouldn't mess with it. The reason is, I've heard too many horror stories of people cracking the bulkheads that are actually siliconed INTO the tank overflow. Just leave it if it works well. Not at all worth the trouble tinkering with that. Lots of other things to mess with IMO.

15. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

Agree. It’s not broken so no need to fix. I have the varios 2. Did you get some algae from silicates when you installed the nozzles?

16. jp_75

jp_75 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Guys what’s the warranty on them? 1 year or more?

17. kinetic

Not really. Though I have a healthy amount of green film algae everywhere. I think I saw some cyano this morning, but it's gone now. That was kind of new in my tank since I installed the nozzles.

18. Coach63

Coach63 Well-Known Member

Has anyone figured out the connections to the drain and return line to have hard plumbing instead of the flex line? I guess without putting a ton of teflon tape on the joints. If it is somewhere in this thread, please point me in the right direction. Thanks again; tanks look great-so glad this line of tanks have become so popular.

jbarn1225 likes this.
  19. I luv coralz

I luv coralz Well-Known Member

Here’s mine

2DB559CB-6592-44C4-8099-2EDFB3730A1C.jpeg

AMEE likes this.
  20. flowflezy

flowflezy Well-Known Member

Got my 350 set up looking good here is my sump. [​IMG] raised the skimmer first day of pull.

Draft saved Draft deleted