Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tanks!

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting cold these days, and my heater isn't keeping up at all. I have a 125 watt Eheim Jager in my Reefer 170. The reason I got the 125 was because I thought that's the longest the sump can hold. Now I think I can probably get something larger, or I was thinking on getting two heaters going off the same plug. Any thoughts? What are you guys running in the Reefer 170 sump?

I'm hoping to stick with the Eheim Jager brand, since I've always had great experiences with them.

Shouldn’t a heater like that be fine. Is it in a cold room? I have a cobalt neotherm 100w and it keeps up fine.

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it's 60 to 62 degrees in my house, like at night, my 150 watt heater isn't enough, but a 200 watt titanium heater works just great on my Red Sea Reefer 250.

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I have a Red Sea Reefer Nano and I'm wondering what the thickness of the return vinyl hosing is? It's been about 9 months and my refugium light has created algae growth inside the green tubing so I'd like to replace it with black vinyl. Bought the 5/8th" and seems way too small so I bought the 3/4" which seems too big for the return barb. Any ideas?

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 watt heater on my 170. It keeps up if room is over about 62F. Struggles below that. I bought a second heater due to it not keeping up on a cold day.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropped to 53 in the house when I wasn’t home :(

I would definitely get another heater then. Look into it there’s a few different ways you can do it. I would think that running two 100w would be better than one big heater.

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone considered using a cube sump like 18" x 18" or 20" x 20" to replace the standard RSR glass sump? Would a 20" x 20" fit in the RSR 250 stand?

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea didn't want to sell me all 3 return lower plumbing. They said they can only sell one., and try buying another in a couple more weeks. Ugh!

I got the part the other day and used it on my main drain, and finally I fixed the inconsistent water level by replacing the stock valve to a spears valve.

I guess I have to try buying again in a few weeks for the return and emergency drain. Pfft.

M4rtin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea didn't want to sell me all 3 return lower plumbing. They said they can only sell one., and try buying another in a couple more weeks. Ugh!

I got the part the other day and used it on my main drain, and finally I fixed the inconsistent water level by replacing the stock valve to a spears valve.

I guess I have to try buying again in a few weeks for the return and emergency drain. Pfft.
They didnt want to sell because they're low on stock or they dont want to sell individual pieces ?
Just wondering what kind of support Im looking at if something goes sideways on my build.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didnt want to sell because they're low on stock or they dont want to sell individual pieces ?
Just wondering what kind of support Im looking at if something goes sideways on my build.

I called two weeks before that they said they don't have any in stock. Then when I called the time they told me to call, they said they're low in stock and they can only sell me one, and try again in a few weeks for another

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting close to putting water in my 525. I'm planning on using two Gyre 250's for flow. Has anyone put them on the back wall so the flow goes front to back instead of side to side? Any reasons this wouldn't work? Trying to get the flow going so I don't end up with any dead spots. Thanks!!

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting close to putting water in my 525. I'm planning on using two Gyre 250's for flow. Has anyone put them on the back wall so the flow goes front to back instead of side to side? Any reasons this wouldn't work? Trying to get the flow going so I don't end up with any dead spots. Thanks!!
It will work well. Flow is somewhat laminar. I have 2 mp40s on the back and a single 250 at one end. I added the 250 since the mp40s moved a lot of gravel when turned up enough to get proper flow.
Maintenance on the mp40s is much easier than the Gyre. Consider that when running your wires.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 52 and using three Maxspect Ethereal lights. I realize the height will probably need to be fine tuned after the tank is up and running but does anyone have a thought on what height to set them at to start with?

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 52 and using three Maxspect Ethereal lights. I realize the height will probably need to be fine tuned after the tank is up and running but does anyone have a thought on what height to set them at to start with?

Actually it's a 525, not a 52. I need to learn to type.:)

Circa916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my Reefer 250 deluxe today! any recommendations as far return pumps and skimmers? A guy in our reef club out here in Cali has an eshopps s-150 that's like new he has for $180 was contemplating going that route but don't know much about them. Not sure if the ecotech m1 for a return pump is worth the money or not. I know they are fantastic pumps but with having the AI lighting and potentially going gyre instead of mp10's idk if there is a better cost effective pump. Any help wouldn't be greatly appreciated!

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! Tonight I was lining up my lights for the new 525 and when I was adjusting the height I turned the thumbscrews in to see how it would sit and the plastic threaded rod cut two small circles in the black vinyl on the back of the tank. I tried putting black tape over the holes, black marker, etc., and you can still see the little holes in the black vinyl on the back of the tank. Any ideas on how to cover the holes? If I pull the black vinyl backing off to put black tape over the holes will the vinyl re-adhere to the back of the tank?

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone considered using a cube sump like 18" x 18" or 20" x 20" to replace the standard RSR glass sump? Would a 20" x 20" fit in the RSR 250 stand?

This is an IceCap 30 Reef Sump under my Red Sea Reefer 250 and it works so much better than the stock sump. I also replaced the drain valve with a gate valve and solved all my issues with balancing the water level in the overflow. I'll have to get an updated pictures as it looks a lot different now with new gear.

IMG_20170807_213611.jpg

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! Tonight I was lining up my lights for the new 525 and when I was adjusting the height I turned the thumbscrews in to see how it would sit and the plastic threaded rod cut two small circles in the black vinyl on the back of the tank. I tried putting black tape over the holes, black marker, etc., and you can still see the little holes in the black vinyl on the back of the tank. Any ideas on how to cover the holes? If I pull the black vinyl backing off to put black tape over the holes will the vinyl re-adhere to the back of the tank?

That vinyI is pretty thick so the creased vinyl probably doesn’t let the tape sit flush. If it bothers you that much try to cut a small part of it out and then cover it with electrical tape. If you are mounting the light there anyway nobody is gonna notice anyway.

I just took the whole vinyl off the other day. Looks so much cleaner. I do have a blue background wall.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back