PaulK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to make my 525 completely silent and have been mostly successful. The return pump is a Jebao/Jecod DCP 8000. I run it at 65% (around 1400gph at zero head) and it's dead silent; I can't hear it even when I'm right next to it. It's very cheap (I think I paid $80 or $90) but so far it's been running for six months with no maintenance and no problems at all. I was thinking about buying a Vectra but I've seen too many complaints about them breaking down, so I decided to go with the cheap option. Very happy with it.

By comparison, my Tunze 6095s, which in my experience are the quietest pumps, are louder than the Jebao (meaning that I can hear a very quiet hum if I'm close to them and they're on 100%).

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to make my 525 completely silent and have been mostly successful. The return pump is a Jebao/Jecod DCP 8000. I run it at 65% (around 1400gph at zero head) and it's dead silent; I can't hear it even when I'm right next to it. It's very cheap (I think I paid $80 or $90) but so far it's been running for six months with no maintenance and no problems at all. I was thinking about buying a Vectra but I've seen too many complaints about them breaking down, so I decided to go with the cheap option. Very happy with it.

By comparison, my Tunze 6095s, which in my experience are the quietest pumps, are louder than the Jebao (meaning that I can hear a very quiet hum if I'm close to them and they're on 100%).

Thanks. With the cabinet closed I can hear the SICCE in the dining room which is 40 plus feet away. Anything has to be an improvement.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Vectra L1. Pretty quiet and plenty of power. But if you use an Apex I would get a COR 20 all the way.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Vectra L1. Pretty quiet and plenty of power. But if you use an Apex I would get a COR 20 all the way.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. With the cabinet closed I can hear the SICCE in the dining room which is 40 plus feet away. Anything has to be an improvement.

Im running a Vectra M1 on my 525xL and I cant hear the pump at all. Really the noise of the pump is going to be directly related to your plumbing. If you have your tank hard plumbed there is a greater chance of noise - if you're using soft tubing, then a silcone pad under the pump may reduce noise as well.

I know that a lot of people have had success with the Reef Octopus Varios line of pumps as well, if you are shopping around.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm still new to all of this so no controller yet.

Im running a Vectra M1 on my 525xL and I cant hear the pump at all. Really the noise of the pump is going to be directly related to your plumbing. If you have your tank hard plumbed there is a greater chance of noise - if you're using soft tubing, then a silcone pad under the pump may reduce noise as well.

I know that a lot of people have had success with the Reef Octopus Varios line of pumps as well, if you are shopping around.

I tried three different types of soft tubing. Minor differences and that was only if you were really listening for any change. And probably more my imagination / desire for progress.

What type of silicone pad? Not sure if that would help. I can pick up the pump, keeping it submerged of course, and it still makes noise so I don't think it's vibrating the sump / cabinet. The noise seems to come directly from the pump itself.

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Ksfulk plumbing is the cause of noise. I hate the look but a cheap fix may be a three inch piece of flexible tubing added to the discharge of the pump (this will only fix noise if your currently 100% hard plumbed) otherwise if you really want to get a new pump the Neptune cor20 is nice but also brand spanking new. My Becerra m1 has been running for 14 months is silent and I haven’t even needed to clean it yet. Though this is getting me thinking wow 14 months I should of cleaned it.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Ksfulk plumbing is the cause of noise. I hate the look but a cheap fix may be a three inch piece of flexible tubing added to the discharge of the pump (this will only fix noise if your currently 100% hard plumbed) otherwise if you really want to get a new pump the Neptune cor20 is nice but also brand spanking new. My Becerra m1 has been running for 14 months is silent and I haven’t even needed to clean it yet. Though this is getting me thinking wow 14 months I should of cleaned it.

It’s all soft tubing. Except the stock RS pieces at bulkhead.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, can’t decide between XL 425 and 450. I know the difference is length of the tank.... Question is: Do i need more than 2 Radions XR30w G4 for 450? XL should be fine with 2 but 450? It’s longer those couple of inches! Planning to keep lps and softies.
Also, would NYOS Quantum 160 be ok for those tanks?

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all soft tubing. Except the stock RS pieces at bulkhead.

I wonder if the feet on the pump
Fell off or something maybe it isn’t a vibration issue and just really a crap pump. I’d hate to see you get a new expensive pump to have the same issue though.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried three different types of soft tubing. Minor differences and that was only if you were really listening for any change. And probably more my imagination / desire for progress.

What type of silicone pad? Not sure if that would help. I can pick up the pump, keeping it submerged of course, and it still makes noise so I don't think it's vibrating the sump / cabinet. The noise seems to come directly from the pump itself.

This is what BRS offers here - but you can just as easily use a silcone hot pad/oven mitt type of thing. I had issues where the pump was touching one of the glass baffles and that was causing noise. Repositioning it helped - but if its just the pump thats noisy, now amount of pads or changes to plumbing is going to fix that.

DC pumps are generally more quiet than AC pumps - though Sicce pumps are supposed to be some of the quietest pumps there are - I dont have much experience with the larger ones however.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, can’t decide between XL 425 and 450. I know the difference is length of the tank.... Question is: Do i need more than 2 Radions XR30w G4 for 450? XL should be fine with 2 but 450? It’s longer those couple of inches! Planning to keep lps and softies.
Also, would NYOS Quantum 160 be ok for those tanks?

I realize I have a 450, so this is probably a biased answer... but I would much prefer the extra foot of length over a mere couple of extra inches of width. I view my tank mostly from the front, so the extra length is much more important to me. Fish will also appreciate the extra length.

.... and I have a Nyos 160 - It's amazing!

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
manifold.jpg
Broadfield, great thread and killer setup!

I'm still in the process of setting up my 250 and want to use your original manifold design with the 2 reactors. I found your parts list but it does not appear to include the connectors coming off the pump. Can you identify the piece(s) between the flexible hose and the union?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
manifold.jpg
Broadfield, great thread and killer setup!

I'm still in the process of setting up my 250 and want to use your original manifold design with the 2 reactors. I found your parts list but it does not appear to include the connectors coming off the pump. Can you identify the piece(s) between the flexible hose and the union?

Those pieces and flexible hose were just temporary... I simply bought what my local hardware store had in stock to get me up and running. I quickly changed that out for a hard pipe between the pump and union... as seen below.

IMG_5972 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! No noise issues with all hard plumbing I presume due to the DC pump? I may have to reconsider the use of the Sicce 4.0 I bought in favor of a higher volume and quieter pump, maybe even the COR20 since you mentioned somewhere that the manifold does require additional power (my 250 calls for 660gph), and I can run it without an Apex controller for now.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! No noise issues with all hard plumbing I presume due to the DC pump? I may have to reconsider the use of the Sicce 4.0 I bought in favor of a higher volume and quieter pump, maybe even the COR20 since you mentioned somewhere that the manifold does require additional power (my 250 calls for 660gph), and I can run it without an Apex controller for now.

Nope, it's dead silent. Just make sure that the pump is snug(sandwiched) to the floor of the sump. I actually have a COR20 waiting to go in!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm replacing the stock sump in my 250 with a Synergy T-26 for the Triton Method and won't be needing the stock anymore. If anybody wants it, it's free if you pick up in Libby, MT. I also have some mesh socks for the stock sump (about 7 or 8) that I could let go for pretty cheap.

naturalEhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pieces and flexible hose were just temporary... I simply bought what my local hardware store had in stock to get me up and running. I quickly changed that out for a hard pipe between the pump and union... as seen below.

IMG_5972 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Could you please tell me what the bungee ball looking wraps you have keeping your hose' and wires together is? I'm looking for something like that.

IMG_9936.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back