Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use socks, to keep noise down I put zip ties around the opening, leaving the long section trailing down into the sump. Works for me and no extra noise. Lots of people don't use anything, it's all personal preference.
Yep, that's a good way as well. One thing I do is, when I stir up the tank and blow on the rocks, I throw some floss in there for a few hours to catch the crud.

20pilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, I just recently was given a red sea reefer 170 with a life reef sump. The previous owner misplaced the plumbing during the move and I am trying to determine the pipe size of the bulkhead threads. It seems to look like 1.5'' but from what I have read its metric and usually 25mm? Can someone verify the pipe/thread size needed as I will have to custom hard plumb this sump. I already have some components, octopus vario S-4 return pump, 2-mp10. I still need to decide on lighting and skimmer. I am very excited about this build, just hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20pilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I was given a couple lights, (2) Tropical Marine Aqua ray LED's and (2) Wavepoint T5 48w 2 bulb. He threw these in, but not sure if they are enough...

Last edited:

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to mod the stock return nozzle and replace the stock straight piece with some Loc-line. Has anyone done it or is there a kit? I have a 625xxl and want more control of where the flow goes.

I am sure there is a post somewhere in the thousands but can someone point me in the right direction?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for!

I'm pretty sure that is the first upgrade every red sea reefer owner makes as soon as they start up their tank and realize all of the sand in the middle front is blown away, ha.

@Vivid Creative Aquatics How about you make a deal with red sea to includes these on every tank they sell :)

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have had a Red Sea reefer 250 for about 8 weeks now and love it so far. However, I was having a problem with the green return pump tube because it would not fit around the tube that is supposed to hook up to my reef octopus varios 6 pump. Any thoughts as to what I should do or anyone else have the same problem? For now I just put the green return pump tube inside of the connecting nozzle.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have had a Red Sea reefer 250 for about 8 weeks now and love it so far. However, I was having a problem with the green return pump tube because it would not fit around the tube that is supposed to hook up to my reef octopus varios 6 pump. Any thoughts as to what I should do or anyone else have the same problem? For now I just put the green return pump tube inside of the connecting nozzle.

I actually stretched it enough to fit my varios 6...wasn't easy, though. It's not coming off now :) I heated the end of the tube in boiling hot water to get it pliable and was able to stretch it onto the nozzle with the help of forceps.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually stretched it enough to fit my varios 6...wasn't easy, though. It's not coming off now :) I heated the end of the tube in boiling hot water to get it pliable and was able to stretch it onto the nozzle with the help of forceps.
I did the same thing. Heated up the ends to connect to the Red Sea return barb/return pump barb.

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure that is the first upgrade every red sea reefer owner makes as soon as they start up their tank and realize all of the sand in the middle front is blown away, ha.

@Vivid Creative Aquatics How about you make a deal with red sea to includes these on every tank they sell :)

Thanks ... My tank is up and running and I see all the sands from the center is blown to the sides...

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure that is the first upgrade every red sea reefer owner makes as soon

They are probably excellent on the medium and larger reefers. I recently took it off my 170, it was too much of a visual distraction. The pic on the left is from a few months ago, and the pic on the right it's been removed. It's pretty distracting on the small models.
a2.png

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I have the splitters though. Any idea what I am missing ?
f9c47131ce6c55bf9eba145e94256cd5.jpg

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point them more to the surface. That way you get more oxygen into the water. Then level your sand back out. Your powerheads are for your water movement.

Thanks ... Will try out tomorrow morning ...

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mechanical filtration question. I've got a 525 that's been set up for two months. The nylon socks don't seem to catch small particles, which is obvious since the mesh is fairly coarse. Conversely, the felt socks clog up almost daily. The micro bubble sponge between the main compartment and the return compartment seems to catch a lot but it gets clogged after a while too. And when I pull it out to rinse it out it inevitably releases a fair amount of particulates back into the return and then to the display. Then I have to go back to the felt socks to clean that out of the water. They do a great job of cleaning but clog quickly. I'm still pretty new so I'm guessing I'm missing something in my setup. I've got a skimmer on it that seems to be working fine. At least based on the stench when I clean it out it's working. Suggestions?

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did. I am not using the nylon socks. I modified to use filter pads and carbon. I got this idea from this forum though. So for it works for me. This one I use for carbon and for the filter pad I made holes on the sides instead of bottom. Couldn’t find the picture now.

3a7bce3186f937bbf1122fda450c2779.jpg
72856d0bac41f4ed7682fa9a4b8dabd4.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back