Willard Barrera

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Red Sea fish screen cover. I’m getting mine delivered this weekend. I’ve heard it’s tricky to install if you used too many light cut out adapters. I have a 750xxl so I guess I’ll need some help keeping the screen nice and tight

Andre B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0761.JPG
Anyone find a way to incorporate a bigger ATO tank in the Reefer 170 stand?
This is my custom solution that holds almost 5 gals. (Eventually, I’ll get around to doing a build thread on my Reefer 170).

MannyDel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0761.JPG

This is my custom solution that holds almost 5 gals. (Eventually, I’ll get around to doing a build thread on my Reefer 170).
Is it simply a very slim 5 gallon container or is something in the sump modded?

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it simply a very slim 5 gallon container or is something in the sump modded?

Looks like a slim 5 gallon container. OP will have to share brand/specs for you.

One option you could think about, which a lot of people do even for larger tanks, is to buy a small cabinet to place next to the tank, and have the ATO container in there. Also gives you the space for supplies/testing kits/etc.

Andre B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DBA3BEB4-0CB2-4914-A462-DC6827E1C115.jpeg
One option you could think about, which a lot of people do even for larger tanks, is to buy a small cabinet to place next to the tank, and have the ATO container in there. Also gives you the space for supplies/testing kits/etc.

I still had to use this option to hold the electronics and dosing pumps . . .

Andre B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tight is it? Do you think I can push from 4.5 to 5 or 6 inches?

It is pretty tight. The max width that you could do is 4.75" and that would require removing the rubber strip that Red Sea lines the bottom and lower cabinet side walls with.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A6BC879F-C3EA-48CF-9B57-694A2FABB3D0.jpeg

Correct, in a custom size of 15” x 4.5” x 14”. I don’t think, however, that they are doing custom sizes anymore.

I have the same thing, custom build by Blue Tide Arcylics (find them on FB) I did 4 3/8 to be safe rather than 4.5. It last 5-6 days for me

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over $100 for a plastic box :(
If you are susceptible to sticker shock, perhaps this hobby is not right for you!. I am just kidding of course, but you do have to remember that the plastic box is custom built. I had Blue Tide Acrylics build me a custom top off for my RSR 170 to my specific dimensions and openings for a little over $100. Well worth it in my opinion since the original RSR top-offs are too small. Got tired of having to refill every other day.

BrianChung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, Im considering to upgrade my 10 gallon tank to a reefer 250 and wondered about the quality of the cabinet. Hopefully someone can share their thoughts with me. Thanks so much.

MannyDel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth going RSR 250 over 170 for a first tank? The RSR is obviously more expensive, mainly due to an additional LED, upgraded powerheads, more rock and sand, etc.

But the setup (tank, stand, sump) itself is comparable when comparing the prices by my local vendor. RSR 170 is $850 and I would buy a custom ATO reservoir for $165 to fit in the small stand. Total would be $1015. RSR 250 is $1110.

Another concern is moving the tank since I tend to move every 2 years so size matters but the 250 may not be too big?

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the same thing, buying pieces or a "matched" set up. I found the price close too. Several people have upgrade the ATO, myself included. Not that the stock RSR one is bad, it's just kind of small and takes up a lot of room in the cabinet.

Not sure on moving. I would think the difficulty would be more in getting the livestock transferred safely more than moving the tank and stand.

TwoLittleFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth going RSR 250 over 170 for a first tank? The RSR is obviously more expensive, mainly due to an additional LED, upgraded powerheads, more rock and sand, etc.

But the setup (tank, stand, sump) itself is comparable when comparing the prices by my local vendor. RSR 170 is $850 and I would buy a custom ATO reservoir for $165 to fit in the small stand. Total would be $1015. RSR 250 is $1110.

Another concern is moving the tank since I tend to move every 2 years so size matters but the 250 may not be too big?
I am caught in the same pickle: RSR 170 vs 250. When I spec'd out the additional equipment for each system it looks like all of the cost savings will come from the difference in the RSR cost. I would end up using most of the same equipment for both tanks (skimmer, return pump, etc.).

I would guess you should see savings in rock, sand, salt, and water. I haven't done the math yet.

I would like to hear what you decide to do and why.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back