Oceanbear1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a cor20 on the reefer? I’m trying to decide the easiest way to get it set up. Right now I’m just running a quiet one pump with soft plumbing between the two barbs

Edit: it’s a 650

Last edited:

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have a cor20 on the reefer? I’m trying to decide the easiest way to get it set up. Right now I’m just running a quiet one pump with soft plumbing between the two barbs

I’m running a COR20 on the Reefer 350. I got reducers down to 1/2 inch and used the tubing with a clamp.

I’m running the pump at 30%

ScottsTot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wavemakers do I need for the Reefer 170 and 250?

Are 2 Jebao RW4 for the 170 and 2 Jebao RW8 for the 250 ok?

Vortechs are a bit high in price but if I went with vortechs is 1 mp10 for the Reefer 170 and 1 mp40 for the Reefer 250 ok?

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wavemakers do I need for the Reefer 170 and 250?

Are 2 Jebao RW4 for the 170 and 2 Jebao RW8 for the 250 ok?

Vortechs are a bit high in price but if I went with vortechs is 1 mp10 for the Reefer 170 and 1 mp40 for the Reefer 250 ok?
I used 2 RW-8's in my 250 and had no complaints. Just know the Jebao's require a good maintenance routine to ensure they do not seize up. There's threads and videos on this forum that show a cheat on how to extend the life of the RW series.

ChelleBelle127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question, anyone here run their RedSeas in a condo? We'll be building out our first tank and live in a highrise...which poses it's own set of issues! Curious to hear from others who may be in the same situation...

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my new tank for the first time, and I noticed pretty quickly that the front glass on the display tank is flexing slightly under the load of the water. I have a Reefer 425 XL, and I measured the distance from back to front glass at about 1/8" more at the center of the tank than at the sides. Is this normal? Have any on you ever measured to see if yours is flexing? I'm really hoping it doesn't break under load!

Here are my measurements from the outside of the back pane to the outside of the front pane, measured at the top edge:

Left side: 22-5/8"
Center: 22-3/4"
Right side: 22-5/8"

I have also sent an email to Red Sea asking if this is normal.

Red Sea Support says this glass flexing is normal and does not pose any threat.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question, anyone here run their RedSeas in a condo? We'll be building out our first tank and live in a highrise...which poses it's own set of issues! Curious to hear from others who may be in the same situation...
I have seen on this forum and in person people who have put these tanks into buildings/houses with multiple floors. Never seen bigger than a 350 though. Not sure what your tank size plans are. You will want to ensure the tank is on a main foundation or exterior wall if you decide to go through with it. You may also want to reach out to your condo association, as some will not let you have them. And if you try to hide it and then damage occurrs, you will be liable for all repairs/costs. Best to look at all the info first, I'd say, before deciding.

Oceanbear1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen on this forum and in person people who have put these tanks into buildings/houses with multiple floors. Never seen bigger than a 350 though. Not sure what your tank size plans are. You will want to ensure the tank is on a main foundation or exterior wall if you decide to go through with it. You may also want to reach out to your condo association, as some will not let you have them. And if you try to hide it and then damage occurrs, you will be liable for all repairs/costs. Best to look at all the info first, I'd say, before deciding.

Just to add, assuming the condo association approves, the structure of the building will also play a factor of which size is safe. As in, if the if its mostly a concrete structure vs wood, I would feel more comfortable about the bigger tank options.

Edit: but since the term high rise was used, I would guess concrete structure

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First: I'm home sick today and read this whole thread. OMG, I have to take a nap now!
Second: I live on the fifth floor of a condo in NYC and building told me it was fine, floor would hold ect. Building is ten years old. We have a big freight elevator.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RSM650 on the 24th here, other than swindling to get the tank up side stepping no pets policy nothing has been an issue.
Hint - Corals aren't pets

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Red Sea Reefer 450, which has shipped and according to the Road Runner tracking, it should be ready for delivery next Monday. I happened to look up how the thing is delivered as it said lift gate required on the shipping info, and I noticed how bad their shipping reviews are. Should I be worried about getting stuck with a broken tank? I have had reports of them being late, not showing up, leaving the tank on the curb if no one is there, and refusing to wait for inspections of the package. Also, I ordered from Premiumaquatics and they had this on their website:
SHIPPPING NOTE: This item will ship via Freight. Once the freight truck arrives, you MUST inspect the contents completely before allowing the driver to leave. This is especially important opening the box with the glass tank. Damages must be written on the Bill of Lading prior to the freight driver leaving. Not doing this may result in the trucking company refusing to cover any damages under insurance. Which in turn, may leave you liable for replacement costs.

Has anyone denied a shipment of their red sea, and how crucial is that to put forward a claim if there is an issue with the tank?

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I ordered a Red Sea Reefer 450, which has shipped and according to the Road Runner tracking, it should be ready for delivery next Monday. I happened to look up how the thing is delivered as it said lift gate required on the shipping info, and I noticed how bad their shipping reviews are. Should I be worried about getting stuck with a broken tank? I have had reports of them being late, not showing up, leaving the tank on the curb if no one is there, and refusing to wait for inspections of the package. Also, I ordered from Premiumaquatics and they had this on their website:
SHIPPPING NOTE: This item will ship via Freight. Once the freight truck arrives, you MUST inspect the contents completely before allowing the driver to leave. This is especially important opening the box with the glass tank. Damages must be written on the Bill of Lading prior to the freight driver leaving. Not doing this may result in the trucking company refusing to cover any damages under insurance. Which in turn, may leave you liable for replacement costs.

Has anyone denied a shipment of their red sea, and how crucial is that to put forward a claim if there is an issue with the tank?"

You've ordered direct, from the tone of your post, so I would call the local Roadrunner station and ask to speak to the dispatcher. A lot of times if you start the discussion (play nice, kiss butt) ahead of time you can avoid issues. Coordinate the delivery with them.

You definitely want to be home when it shows up so you can look for hidden damage. I was at the LFS when mine was delivered. I would say that the packaging was pretty good, better than I expected, but the carrier beat the living crap out of it. We broke it down (made the driver wait which annoyed him) and checked to see if there was any concealed damage. There wasn't any so we signed for ti and loaded it into my pickup and I took it home. Getting it out of the truck and into the house is another story.

If the driver gives you grief about waiting, sign the bill and write on it concealed damage possible. Make the driver sign it acknowledging that. Take a LOT of pictures of the crate. Especially while it is still on the truck. That shows how it arrived before you took possession.

Good luck!

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
Has anyone altered the plumbing on there reefer tanks, and plumbed down to a bigger sump? I have a reefer 250 and want to run the plumbing down to my basement. Was curious what fittings you used? So far I plan on running Flex Hosing down, the overflows are 25mm and 32mm Metric. So I was gonna get these unions to convert to 3/4 and 1 Inch. The Return up to the tank already has the 3/4 inch barb fitting....

https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of setting up a go pro in the garage, but if the driver is a real rough-neck then that might not be pretty. good point about pictures on the truck, and if he doesn't want to wait, then I will try writing concealed damage possible. Thanks for the advice.

Do they drop it down to curb level and off load it or do I need to unload it from the truck? Trying to plan if I need to have my brother swing by to physically unload it from the truck.

@Elder1945 That's awesome! I saw your tank in another post and I must say, I'll be happy if mine looks half that good in a few years time.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Red Sea Reefer 450, which has shipped and according to the Road Runner tracking, it should be ready for delivery next Monday. I happened to look up how the thing is delivered as it said lift gate required on the shipping info, and I noticed how bad their shipping reviews are. Should I be worried about getting stuck with a broken tank? I have had reports of them being late, not showing up, leaving the tank on the curb if no one is there, and refusing to wait for inspections of the package. Also, I ordered from Premiumaquatics and they had this on their website:

Has anyone denied a shipment of their red sea, and how crucial is that to put forward a claim if there is an issue with the tank?

I bought my 750 from premium Aquatics. If it ships like mine it's literally encased in a 3/4" MDF box bolted to the skids. They would have really had to abuse it badly to break it. It also would have been evident most likely with damage to the crate.

I picked mine up from them in order to get it quicker. But I only live an hr from their warehouse. If you are taking home delivery I would pop the top and just make sure it's not broke.

If they refuse to wait make sure you note that when you sign off. Then they are still liable if it's damaged.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of setting up a go pro in the garage, but if the driver is a real rough-neck then that might not be pretty. good point about pictures on the truck, and if he doesn't want to wait, then I will try writing concealed damage possible. Thanks for the advice.

Do they drop it down to curb level and off load it or do I need to unload it from the truck? Trying to plan if I need to have my brother swing by to physically unload it from the truck.

@Elder1945 That's awesome! I saw your tank in another post and I must say, I'll be happy if mine looks half that good in a few years time.

Here is an example of why you take pictures and put on the BOL “concealed damage possible”. I then sent the pics immediately to Marine Depot and Red Sea.
IMG_3224.JPG

cc79493b8950ebab59c6bb40061c9db9.jpg
6832f07f984463aefd2682fb842a5731.jpg

Fortunately there was no damage.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they refuse to wait make sure you note that when you sign off. Then they are still liable if it's damaged.

Awesome, thanks for chiming in! I got the okay to work from home when it's being delivered or use PTO at my discretion so I will be there. Just hoping if I need someone to help me physically unload, that they can wait until later in the day when my brother gets out of work.

@mta_morrow So it's no joke that this company is not good at handling freight properly!! The original pallet was trashed and they didn't use the right size replacement pallet. I will definitely take pics! Did they wheel it in your garage for you with the pallet jack?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back