Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Red Sea xl425 a week ago. One of the cabinet doors had a small nick but built it anyway. Put the tank on the stand and while cleaning the glass I found a small scratch in the glass. The crate was perfect in and out. The only way I see how it got scratched would be at the factory. I emailed Red Sea and a couple days later I was told a new door and tank will be shipped.
Very happy about them replacing it and how they handled it. Bummed I have to wait longer but got plenty of work while I wait.
5db1d3d5b4f909fd395913cabc016b34.jpg
it’s about 1 1/4 long
Wow that’s incredible, Bc I see a scratch in mine and know I never touched my front glass only a 1/2” but I should have looked over mine a little better! Glad to see they are sand up and replaced it!

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - I am in the planning stages for a 425xl. Did you find any links/information about what specifically they are changing with the sump? One of things holding me back was my desire for a refugium and was waiting on some reviews of third party units.

They are adding baffles for a refugium. No info on the web other than another member posting that their new tank has it. No info on when it will be released in US. Already shipping international, UK was first release market.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are adding baffles for a refugium. No info on the web other than another member posting that their new tank has it. No info on when it will be released in US. Already shipping international, UK was first release market.
At least for those of us who just recently purchased a tank, egg crate is cheap!

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I am thinking of purchasing either a Reefer Peninsula 650 or the Reefer 750 XXL. These are both big tanks. My only concern is the stand. For my past tanks, I have built...overbuilt my own stands. The reefer stands don't look nearly as strong as what I have built in the past (2X4 framing and 3/4" Oak Plywood). Should I be worried about the reefer stands or are they plenty strong? Any issues with water damage or anything I should be aware of? I have looked into a custom tank and a metal stand, but the price difference is too much for me. Thank you in advance.

Dave
They don't look strong and solid, but I can confirm (being on my second Red Sea tank) that they do hold up quite well!

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the skimz 157 that I’m happy with for the price. Hear really good things about the ALR line which where not out when I bought mine, but the top dog and best Pax Bellum! Wanted the Pax which was out at the time, just could not justify spending that money (close to 1k) when people make them DIY. Mine is growing cheto at a good rate, just keeps it contained, clean and light to a minimum, instead of growing cheto and having it rolling over into your sump on other filters ect. Think it’s worth the money to buy one! Not to mention the right light could run you the same price as the whole skimz unit, just my 2 cents!

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I'll maybe wait a bit longer to see the new specs. I'm also looking at the Crystal Reef Aquatics refugium sump replacement for the 350 (which will fit the 425 just fine) but would rather not spend the money if RS comes out with something similar.

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I'll maybe wait a bit longer to see the new specs. I'm also looking at the Crystal Reef Aquatics refugium sump replacement for the 350 (which will fit the 425 just fine) but would rather not spend the money if RS comes out with something similar.
I personally didn’t like the way the water flowed threw the sump, so hope they change the sump reguradless. Went with a custom triggers, think that might be the best money I spent in general.

13588506-671B-4469-A2CD-8EEBFE8DCA18.jpeg

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally didn’t like the way the water flowed threw the sump, so hope they change the sump reguradless. Went with a custom triggers, think that might be the best money I spent in general.

13588506-671B-4469-A2CD-8EEBFE8DCA18.jpeg
Is that the sump area for the 750xxl (sorry I'm new around here!)? Really nice.

I do go back and forth on refugium v. algae reactor. Refugium more flexible, more biodiversity and maybe less maintenance? Reactor definitely cleaner. Either way I'm not a huge fan of the small ATO they put on top of the current 425xl sump as I don't plan to use it for that purpose and can't think what I would use it for (not even sure it would fit a reactor).

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the sump area for the 750xxl (sorry I'm new around here!)? Really nice.

I do go back and forth on refugium v. algae reactor. Refugium more flexible, more biodiversity and maybe less maintenance? Reactor definitely cleaner. Either way I'm not a huge fan of the small ATO they put on top of the current 425xl sump as I don't plan to use it for that purpose and can't think what I would use it for (not even sure it would fit a reactor).

Yes that’s the sump area on the XXL 750, 44” sump is the largest u can fit!

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup!

Quick question: Does your second return pump run back to the sump inlet?
Yes, threw the manifold, one value goes threw the electrical side to a cabinet on the side of my tank, goes to the chiller and UV, then back to the sump and dumps into the first compartment where the protein skimmer is. Check put my build if you want has everything in there with pictures!

njohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, threw the manifold, one value goes threw the electrical side to a cabinet on the side of my tank, goes to the chiller and UV, then back to the sump and dumps into the first compartment where the protein skimmer is. Check put my build if you want has everything in there with pictures!
Thanks for the info. I will be sure to check out your build thread.

evoIX_njreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In with a red sea reefer for the past almost 2 months now. Still slowly but surely building up to house a full on SPS tank. Right now I am battling the balancing act of ~5ppm Nitrates and .05ppm PO4. I dropped PO4 near undetectable using a Hanna ULR and started seeing pale coloration in a number of corals. New growth and tips but color was fading.

I was wondering if anyone has changed the overflow piping . I think the overflow style makes it annoying as it requires continuous adjusting. I switched over the main drain to a gate valve and the issue occurs every few days. Not bad but enough that it makes noise and becomes annoying.

They should have just allowed us to do a bean animal style drain as it is more efficient and silent IMO. I've used it in all my other tanks without issue. Never had the toilet sound after it was set.

I would assume this is an issue because the emergency drain is too small to switch over to durso and the emergency drain would be used more often than the main drain.

Either way, the overflow setup is silent for a few days before noise eventually shows up so you are C ONSTANTLY tinkering with it.

Also, since I have the RSR 350, I wish they added a better size for the sump area. I loved my trigger Ruby30s from my last build and could not reuse it because of space limitations.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back