XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is up and cycling. Thank you all for the help thus far. It’s no Broadfield but it’s my first setup.

I have build thread. Always listening to advice. Please give me your input and insights. Have lots to learn.

XLOR8T’s Red Sea Reefer 525XL
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/XLOR8T’s-Red-Sea-Reefer-525XL.388591/

b54007358a6d0bd2adf7acd2a8c606dd.jpg

305c5c4490fb08ba584858f88af4d023.jpg

1fe9c4f20694c235f9935633e5fd1389.jpg

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been itching to upgrade my 29 cube and since I'm buying a new home I think this is the perfect time to upgrade. I'm eyeing up a spot in the new house that currently has a half room divider (between kitchen eating area and living room) that is begging for a peninsula tank. I'm taking a long look at the Reefer peninsula 650 (or maybe 500 if I don't have room).

I'd appreciate feedback from any owners of these tanks, especially the peninsula versions. I don't want the hassle and wait of a custom tank and I don't want to deal with building a stand. I'm confident in the aesthetics of these tanks and it seems like they are fairly priced for what you get. I want to make sure the returns are quiet though.

I suspect I will place the sump and large fuge in the basement to allow for ease of water changes. I won't want any powerheads on the viewing end of the peninsula so I will probably rely on 2 large gyres (and maybe a few smaller pumps) on the return end to provide flow. I'm also playing around with the idea of a small closed loop routed under the rock/sand to the far end just to keep water moving back towards the overflow. It will be a mixed tank but SPS dominant.

I already have a Kessil A360N so I am considering buying the aquatic life t5 combo and adding 2 more 360s (probably Ws) to it. My reefkeeper will likely be swapped out for an Apex or Prolux.

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been itching to upgrade my 29 cube and since I'm buying a new home I think this is the perfect time to upgrade. I'm eyeing up a spot in the new house that currently has a half room divider (between kitchen eating area and living room) that is begging for a peninsula tank. I'm taking a long look at the Reefer peninsula 650 (or maybe 500 if I don't have room).

I'd appreciate feedback from any owners of these tanks, especially the peninsula versions. I don't want the hassle and wait of a custom tank and I don't want to deal with building a stand. I'm confident in the aesthetics of these tanks and it seems like they are fairly priced for what you get. I want to make sure the returns are quiet though.

I suspect I will place the sump and large fuge in the basement to allow for ease of water changes. I won't want any powerheads on the viewing end of the peninsula so I will probably rely on 2 large gyres (and maybe a few smaller pumps) on the return end to provide flow. I'm also playing around with the idea of a small closed loop routed under the rock/sand to the far end just to keep water moving back towards the overflow. It will be a mixed tank but SPS dominant.

I already have a Kessil A360N so I am considering buying the aquatic life t5 combo and adding 2 more 360s (probably Ws) to it. My reefkeeper will likely be swapped out for an Apex or Prolux.

Congrats on the new house. So far i love the reefer. But if you are planning a basement sump and fuge you may want to consider keeping it all in the cabinet just invest in high end DC pump/recirculating skimmer and a silent return pump. The Cor pumps from Apex are super silent.

I bought a Reef Octo Super Reef 2000 and it’s the loudest item I have and I’m going to have to look and see if the pump is interchangeable with a varios pump from the high end units to get it to be silent.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new house. So far i love the reefer. But if you are planning a basement sump and fuge you may want to consider keeping it all in the cabinet just invest in high end DC pump/recirculating skimmer and a silent return pump. The Cor pumps from Apex are super silent.

I bought a Reef Octo Super Reef 2000 and it’s the loudest item I have and I’m going to have to look and see if the pump is interchangeable with a varios pump from the high end units to get it to be silent.

I was thinking of the basement route for water changes but I'm second guessing myself. I may just build a nice WC cart.

I currently don't run a skimmer. I might do the same with this. The sump might be large enough to run as a fuge if I light it well.

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of the basement route for water changes but I'm second guessing myself. I may just build a nice WC cart.

I currently don't run a skimmer. I might do the same with this. The sump might be large enough to run as a fuge if I light it well.

Just get a DOS for the new apex and use as auto water changer. Never have to lug buckets around. I also ran a python to my basement and use it for larger water changes.

It’s on my build thread. Running a Jebao 12000 pump in basement and it works like a charm.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a DOS for the new apex and use as auto water changer. Never have to lug buckets around. I also ran a python to my basement and use it for larger water changes.

It’s on my build thread. Running a Jebao 12000 pump in basement and it works like a charm.
I'll take a look. Do you have the dos pulling clean water from a reservoir in the basement?

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a look. Do you have the dos pulling clean water from a reservoir in the basement?

I’ll be installing the DOS in the basement. They are better at pushing than pulling up. I use 2 40Gal brutes 1 is RODI and one is Salt water

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How are those DOS pumps? I have my automatic water changer I do daily (stenner double head pump) in my laundry room about 40 feet away from my tank, and up threw my attic then down so a good 50-60 feet away and vertical. Would it pump that? Also how fast will it change out the water?
My stenner does about 2 gallons in 8 mins.

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are those DOS pumps? I have my automatic water changer I do daily (stenner double head pump) in my laundry room about 40 feet away from my tank, and up threw my attic then down so a good 50-60 feet away and vertical. Would it pump that? Also how fast will it change out the water?

Supposed to handle 24’ of vertical head pressure and max flow rate of 1.3Gal/hr but if you’re doin 10% / week done continuous it’s like 1.3 Gal/day so it’s done slow and constant.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/dos-2/dos-awc/

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Dos does a phenomenal job at my AWC. Only problem I ever had was I had some slime in my sump area where the waste line was located and it gummed up the lines. I quickly noticed it being my atk started to go high. Cut some fresh line and was back in business...

Horizontal pressure would be fine at those lengths. The 24 feet is for vertical.

bombero11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help guys
Cracked the nut thay screws the overflow pipe to down pipe w the baffle, I have a extra nut but don’t know how to place it back on the pipe since the lip is in the way. Any help would be great
Talked to Red Sea and they said just to buy a whole other pipe

AA2B950F-6C06-4961-8591-3F57E7DE0ABD.jpeg

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help guys
Cracked the nut thay screws the overflow pipe to down pipe w the baffle, I have a extra nut but don’t know how to place it back on the pipe since the lip is in the way. Any help would be great
Talked to Red Sea and they said just to buy a whole other pipe

AA2B950F-6C06-4961-8591-3F57E7DE0ABD.jpeg

Unless you Frankenstein it there is no way to get it on

And my personal opinion
for the price of a new one (plus shipping) just buy the barbed (return part) and put a gate valve

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very nice

Personally i would not put a gate valve on the end of the return line it would add unneeded pressure on the whole line

My recommendation would be get a controllable dc pump
If you really want to use a gate valve use it as close to the pump as possible so pump, gate valve, union, etc...

I understand putting a flow monitor on your emergency line is there any way you can put it vertically and not protrude out so much i feel like it’s going to get in the way

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back