CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the 3/4" NP to 1" slip adapter, has anyone used a 32mm to 1" slip adapter instead? What size thread BSP thread would you need for part 42222--is it 32mm or 25mm?

https://www.coralvue.com/metric-male-coupling

Those will not work, they are actually the reverse. The metric side is the slip side. Broadfield investigated this and posted it long ago earlier in his thread.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the 3/4" NP to 1" slip adapter, has anyone used a 32mm to 1" slip adapter instead? What size thread BSP thread would you need for part 42222--is it 32mm or 25mm?

https://www.coralvue.com/metric-male-coupling

Do yourself a favor and go with what has proven to work. I tried manipulating the way it works with various techniques and am now ordering parts to follow the suggested solution. None of the adapters from metric to standard are compatible. Fabricate a piece and you'll be rich.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm testing the plumbing of a used 350, and I'm having issues with the overflow.

Should I be able to completely stop the flow with the stock gear, or just reduce it? I'm thinking I might actually need to replace the pipe, or should I just throw on the gate valve and be done with it? I'm nervous to try that route, even though this thread LITERALLY has all the steps for it. This is just my first tank, and I'm a bit gunshy about making modifications.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm testing the plumbing of a used 350, and I'm having issues with the overflow.

Should I be able to completely stop the flow with the stock gear, or just reduce it? I'm thinking I might actually need to replace the pipe, or should I just throw on the gate valve and be done with it? I'm nervous to try that route, even though this thread LITERALLY has all the steps for it. This is just my first tank, and I'm a bit gunshy about making modifications.

Although it is intimidating (Reefer Series) at first, it will be well worth the effort in the end. Everyone had their first tank and the jitters but that's how you learn and being familiar with your system is essential in this hobby. I just recently got a used 450 that has gone through a lot of custom work and it took me weeks to get it all sorted. This forum and the instructions you spoke of have helped immensely and after all my stressing it ends up being pretty straight forward. If you decide to go forward follow the link below and just do as it says and you will be fine. It's not very difficult at all and has proven successful for many. If you need anything at all you have found the right place. Good luck and happy reefing!

Simple Instructions

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it is intimidating (Reefer Series) at first, it will be well worth the effort in the end. Everyone had their first tank and the jitters but that's how you learn and being familiar with your system is essential in this hobby. I just recently got a used 450 that has gone through a lot of custom work and it took me weeks to get it all sorted. This forum and the instructions you spoke of have helped immensely and after all my stressing it ends up being pretty straight forward. If you decide to go forward follow the link below and just do as it says and you will be fine. It's not very difficult at all and has proven successful for many. If you need anything at all you have found the right place. Good luck and happy reefing!

Simple Instructions

Waiting on three different shipments now. Not one distributor has parts including Red Sea. I'm sitting on this.

20180625_150014.jpg

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's rough buddy. I feel you pain. I've got a used 350 set up in my garage that I can't do much more with than leak test. It's killing me.
I set up mine with just the tank (no sump) for almost a month now--still working through the plumbing before I am able to bring the sump online.

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a 425 xl. Jumping back into the hobby. Suggestions for lighting a primarily SPS dominate tank. Electricity usage is a concern (NY in the summer is $$$). Prefer the look of LED but back when I got out of the hobby LED was not quite a proven technology for SPS. Had success with T5 but would like to give LED a shot if people are having success to keep electrical costs down and prefer the shimmer. Thoughts?

If I do go LED would you all recommend 3 XR15's or will I not get the coverage I need and should I go with 2 XR30 Pro?

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a 425 xl. Jumping back into the hobby. Suggestions for lighting a primarily SPS dominate tank. Electricity usage is a concern (NY in the summer is $$$). Prefer the look of LED but back when I got out of the hobby LED was not quite a proven technology for SPS. Had success with T5 but would like to give LED a shot if people are having success to keep electrical costs down and prefer the shimmer. Thoughts?

If I do go LED would you all recommend 3 XR15's or will I not get the coverage I need and should I go with 2 XR30 Pro?

I started out with two Ai hydra 26hd and it honestly did not have enough spread i ended up going with 2 xr30 pro’s and love it! Ample spread and par.. mine are currently running 40@ ab+.. I imagine once your sps grow out some 3 xr15’s are not going to be enough for your tank.. if I were you I would probably go with either 4 xr15’s or 2 xr30’s

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could look at hybrid like aquatic life. Best of both worlds.

Crystal Reef Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI everyone, We will be releasing a V3 version of our Red Sea Replacement sumps for the 250 and 350 in the coming week. Red Sea recently changed the configuration. We are always available for custom requests as well. Happy reefing!

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing lights So on a white reefer 250 what colour combo?

White AI Prime silver brackets
White AI Prime black brackets
Black AI Prime with black brackets

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished my Red Sea mesh lid ... not overly impressed ... waited weeks for my "joggles" and seems they aren't necessarily useful .. certainly don't line up with my preferred light location if I follow the plan ... will persevere as lost an Occelaris this week to tile surfing ....

My lights are 1/3 1/3 1/3

Last edited:

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing lights So on a white reefer 250 what colour combo?

White AI Prime silver brackets
White AI Prime black brackets
Black AI Prime with black brackets

Personally I would go with white AI primera with silver brackets. I feel they match better the nice white finish of the stand

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with 8x54 watt Sunpower. Will start with that and maybe add some Reefbrite strips in the future. Likely will be 100% SPS and focused on growth / coloration so feel more confident in using the Sunpower to get there! Excited to get this build started.

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for the folks that have plumbed in a gate valve on the drain pipe. I finally did it on my tank yesterday and so far the water in my overflow is still fluctuating. So should this be an immediate fix or does it still take time to settle? I had the level perfect last night but this morning it was going down the emergency pipe. Got it lowered down but now this evening it's gone too low. Been dealing with this issue with the stock valve for over 2 years between the 250 and now the 425 so I'm really hoping this will solve the issue but it doesn't look promising just yet.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back