00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success hard plumbing the Reefer 350 v3 sump? The stock ATO looks like it limits space near the pipes.

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a red sea reefer 750 with a varios 8 return. My question is, how do I know if I have my return pump running at the right setting? I am currently running it on the 3rd setting, can anyone with this pump/tank combo chime in? I have a split return nozzle (the random flow generator one) from vividcreativeaquatics but still find I need to point a powerhead at the surface to avoid having stuff accumulate on the surface of the water.

Open your drain valve wide open. Max the pump then start closing drain valve until you get water just below the emergency drain or barely trickling down to get quiet operation.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open your drain valve wide open. Max the pump then start closing drain valve until you get water just below the emergency drain or barely trickling down to get quiet operation.

So my system is currently operating silently so noise isn't an issue, I am just wondering if I should have more turnover through my sum/ more surface agitation just from my return without needing to use a powerhead. Does everyone run these at max output?

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like 3-5 times flow. On a 750 depending on what you used for plumbing, you will need the varios 8 running pretty much full tilt

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome yeah my readings are looking good no amonia also nitrite levels that are below harmful. Just getting some diatom no cyano or other algae blooms like it states.
So I had to test my PH and KH today my PH is solid at 8.2 but my KH at 11.5 and have not dossed any of the KH Coraline grow yet. Did you experience any elevated KH levels through your cycle? Also using red Sea pro salt.

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to test my PH and KH today my PH is solid at 8.2 but my KH at 11.5 and have not dossed any of the KH Coraline grow yet. Did you experience any elevated KH levels through your cycle? Also using red Sea pro salt.
Man that’s elevated kh is not related to your cycle.. it’s the salt your using if you look at the bucked salts usually tell what their parameters mix up at.. if you plan on keeping coral I would suggest switching to blue bucket Red Sea or another brand.. I use live aquaria’s salt mix and like it

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that’s elevated kh is not related to your cycle.. it’s the salt your using if you look at the bucked salts usually tell what their parameters mix up at.. if you plan on keeping coral I would suggest switching to blue bucket Red Sea or another brand.. I use live aquaria’s salt mix and like it

+1 I used blue bucket. Those KH levels will come down if you switch and you will have dry rock fish and inverts so the drop will only be though water changes not much consumption. You only need KH coralline if you have live rock to maintain KH since coralline on that rock will consume it.

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a new red sea reefer 170. Is there any space saving cheap water resevoir I can use as ATO that will fit in the space along the sump inside the cabinet. I think the width is ~4.5". Thanks

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys fill up your ATO reservoir?
When I was using the stock one I used a funnel with about a foot or so of hose on it. That way I could bend the hose a bit to clear the opening under the tank and guide it into the reservoir without spilling. That became very annoying and I ended up going with an external ATO.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was using the stock one I used a funnel with about a foot or so of hose on it. That way I could bend the hose a bit to clear the opening under the tank and guide it into the reservoir without spilling. That became very annoying and I ended up going with an external ATO.
Yeah, it's a great design until I realized that filling it was awkward. Maybe I'll run a small pump from my basement area to fill it.

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a great design until I realized that filling it was awkward. Maybe I'll run a small pump from my basement area to fill it.

If you’re going down that road just get a Tunze or Apex ATO. You will be very happy!! I use the apex ATK. Not having ATO in the cabinet have me lots of room to work.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going down that road just get a Tunze or Apex ATO. You will be very happy!! I use the apex ATK. Not having ATO in the cabinet have me lots of room to work.
I actually had one ordered but returned it. I was honestly hoping to save money somewhere on this money pit. TBD I guess.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had one ordered but returned it. I was honestly hoping to save money somewhere on this money pit. TBD I guess.

Honestly, in my opinion... solving the ATO situation was the very first and important thing to do before you begin... I decided to have my reservoir away from my cabinet and fed directly into the return chamber with the water level sensor in the pump chamber... Once I figured that out you have so many more options...

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may as well post this here. Do you guys think this is a major problem? The end panel on my stand seems to have bowed out a little? Also, I can see the supporting screws between the panel and the horizontal support piece.

The tank is still perfectly level so.... When I hold my 6ft level next to the panel it doesn't look like there is too much deflection. 2k pounds of water and glass make me nervous though.

20180812_214347.jpg

20180812_215527.jpg

20180812_214343.jpg

20180812_225609.jpg

Always always found that cutting corners in this hobby sets you up for failure. That’s some of the best money you can spend! :)
Sigh. Yeah you guys are probably right. The stock ATO seems like a great solution, if a bit awkward to fill and having a low volume.

Last edited:

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may as well post this here. Do you guys think this is a major problem? The end panel on my stand seems to have bowed out a little? Also, I can see the supporting screws between the panel and the horizontal support piece.

The tank is still perfectly level so.... When I hold my 6ft level next to the panel it doesn't look like there is too much deflection. 2k pounds of water and glass make me nervous though.

20180812_214347.jpg

20180812_215527.jpg

20180812_214343.jpg

20180812_225609.jpg

Sigh. Yeah you guys are probably right. The stock ATO seems like a great solution, if a bit awkward to fill and having a low volume.

It’s looks like the left side may have bowed, but the right side door can definitely be adjusted.

I didn’t notice until now, but on my 750xxl the doors cover the side panels so bowing (if it’s happening) won’t be noticed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back