pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. Took me days to read!

I have three quick questions:
Do right angles in hard plumbing affect flow?
Should the fuge/cheato reactor be the first in line from the overflow water?
How do you manage multiple reactors with different flow requirements?

I believe you'll see a flow reduction in anything unless it is a straight line, 90's more so than 45's. The question is how much and will it make a difference. I have the @Crystal Reef Aquatics triton sump and the refugium is the first chamber, if you plan to use a reactor I don't think it will make much difference where you pull the water from. As far as managing flow you can run a manifold off your return pump and use valves to control flow to each reactor. Alternatively you can use a return pump for just the return and an oversized pump can run your reactors, you'd still create a manifold and use valves to control the flow.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update on my build thread. It’s finally ready for water! This build has dragged for over a year but it’s finally heading to the marine biology stage!

I installed the insert Broadfield made for me and organized all the electrical and controller parts. Broadfield Customs did a great job. Outstanding workmanship and attention to detail.

Making water, wet soon...
270ca995c8619800f50c8caddce754cc.jpg

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update on my build thread. It’s finally ready for water! This build has dragged for over a year but it’s finally heading to the marine biology stage!

I installed the insert Broadfield made for me and organized all the electrical and controller parts. Broadfield Customs did a great job. Outstanding workmanship and attention to detail.

Making water, wet soon...
270ca995c8619800f50c8caddce754cc.jpg

Looking super sick man! Thanks again for all of your patience throughout the process.

Jcovercash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone with a 625/750 removed the sump baffled all together? I am wanting to take mine out when I set my tank up because my skimmer is rather large and put a nyos media reactor in the sump also.

I plan to drill the stock ato and turn it into a refugium but would run the sump with only the baffle at the return section. Anyone see any issues with this?

Jcovercash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone with a 625/750 removed the sump baffled all together? I am wanting to take mine out when I set my tank up because my skimmer is rather large and put a nyos media reactor in the sump also.

I plan to drill the stock ato and turn it into a refugium but would run the sump with only the baffle at the return section. Anyone see any issues with this?

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If its anything like the 525XL which I assume it is looking at the Red Sea sump videos. The baffle is a piece of glass you can put into one of two positions. Large refugium area, or small refugium area. The glass can be placed into a pair of slides that are plastic which are siliconed onto the glass. So you can run the sump without the baffle. The plastic is also pretty easy to get a razor blade under and cut off the glass if you don't ever plan on using the baffle.

Jcovercash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its anything like the 525XL which I assume it is looking at the Red Sea sump videos. The baffle is a piece of glass you can put into one of two positions. Large refugium area, or small refugium area. The glass can be placed into a pair of slides that are plastic which are siliconed onto the glass. So you can run the sump without the baffle. The plastic is also pretty easy to get a razor blade under and cut off the glass if you don't ever plan on using the baffle.

Yea I have the tank and sump already. I just wasn't sure if there would be an drawbacks to removing it on the way water flows, bubbles, etc.

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved my new tank downstairs. The tank has some sticky residue on the inside of it. Probably from the sump and other things that were in it during shipping. What should I use to clean it off?

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved my new tank downstairs. The tank has some sticky residue on the inside of it. Probably from the sump and other things that were in it during shipping. What should I use to clean it off?

I would spray it with some water and vinegar and then just use a clean razor blade. Careful on corners and around sealant

Palluk33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys quick question I’m about to get my red sea reefer 350 wet[emoji6] i’m using V2 sump
What is the best place for apex probes and dousing tubes?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys quick question I’m about to get my red sea reefer 350 wet[emoji6] i’m using V2 sump
What is the best place for apex probes and dousing tubes?

I like my temp probe close to the drains, this way it detects the temp of the water from the display. Otherwise it doesn’t really matter which chamber you put them in!

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a Clarisea 5000 to my 425 XL V2.

Can anyone confirm that the downpipe is 32mm? Plumbing to the Clarisea is this size but I can't find anywhere that confirms this is the size of the downpipe on the Red Sea Reefer. I believe the plumbing is metric on these tanks but want to confirm.

Thanks as always!

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a Clarisea 5000 to my 425 XL V2.

Can anyone confirm that the downpipe is 32mm? Plumbing to the Clarisea is this size but I can't find anywhere that confirms this is the size of the downpipe on the Red Sea Reefer. I believe the plumbing is metric on these tanks but want to confirm.

Thanks as always!

I had to change the plumbing altogether. I went with 1" and even then, I had to wrap the pipe a few times with teflon tape to fit snug in the unit.
BTW, I have a V3 but the plumbing is the same size as V2. The fitting on the SK-5000 says 1".
Best upgrade I've ever done.
New1.jpg

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to change the plumbing altogether. I went with 1" and even then, I had to wrap the pipe a few times with teflon tape to fit snug in the unit.
BTW, I have a V3 but the plumbing is the same size as V2. The fitting on the SK-5000 says 1".
Best upgrade I've ever done.
New1.jpg
Thanks for the help! I just can't keep up with changing filter floss lol I need one of these. Just ordered a unit.

So you changed your entire down pipe to 1"? How'd you get that to attach to the fitting coming off the bulkhead?

Assuming you just wrapped some teflon tape around the pipe and slipped it on to the clarisea? I believe its a slip fitting?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, help calm my nerves please! I didnt put anything under my rock in my reefer nano. Its directly on the glass and its a barebottom tank. I added another piece of rock today and it looks great, but it got me thinking. The pieces that are touching the glass are no where near perfectly flat. Its like the rock has little “feet” extending out from it and holding it up. Its nice and spread out but there is probably only 10-15 of these “feet” supporting about 15 pounds of rock. Is that ok? Should i plan to pull the rock and put something down between the rock and glass?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, help calm my nerves please! I didnt put anything under my rock in my reefer nano. Its directly on the glass and its a barebottom tank. I added another piece of rock today and it looks great, but it got me thinking. The pieces that are touching the glass are no where near perfectly flat. Its like the rock has little “feet” extending out from it and holding it up. Its nice and spread out but there is probably only 10-15 of these “feet” supporting about 15 pounds of rock. Is that ok? Should i plan to pull the rock and put something down between the rock and glass?
Should be just fine.

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! I just can't keep up with changing filter floss lol I need one of these. Just ordered a unit.

So you changed your entire down pipe to 1"? How'd you get that to attach to the fitting coming off the bulkhead?

Assuming you just wrapped some teflon tape around the pipe and slipped it on to the clarisea? I believe its a slip fitting?

Yep, I was doing the filter floss thing too and it just wasn't working out. You can click my build link to see how I did it and here is a link to the adapter I used to thread into the Red Sea adaptor https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html. However, I would just go 3/4" instead of 1", the adaptors at the drains are choked down to 3/4" plus if you were to look up flow rates for a 3/4" pipe, it's more than enough to handle turn-over. I got the 3/4" fitting here. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/schedule-80-male-pipe-adapter-1-3a6c2c9231df58107434b942fa600b22.html

Here is the Red Sea Adapter you'll need. You'll need to order these direct from RedSea.
Adaptor-1.jpg

Adaptor-3.jpg

You'll thread a pipe adapter where you removed the barbed fitting.
pipe fitting.PNG

Then you'll hard plumb from there.
Very easy!

Last edited:
Back