CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a wyze cam. Amazing for 25 bucks. Mounted magnetically in my sump and powered via USB.

Perfect to keep an eye on things when I’m away. I can even set up notifications for movement in certain areas such as a skimmer overflow.

Has night vision too!

7b037f88840089bf112f48cfce84e9bf.jpg

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my Reefer 250 finally situated. I'm not super happy with it's overall appearance in the room, but it's the only option. I have to keep the stand a bit to the right side of the wall there as the outlet behind the stand would be blocked otherwise (I contemplated running a new outlet, but the SO wouldn't want another hole in the wall). The extra room on the left of the stand does allow me to place a little cabinet for extra storage though. Hopefully with that it'll even out the tank/location a bit.

20190410_193129.jpg

I was happy that the stand went together really well. Seems very sturdy and fit together really well (no misaligned parts/etc). My only issue now is that the tank/stand isn't level. It's leaning about 1/4" forward and to the right (I'll try to take some pictures of the level on it). I was originally hoping the feet on the stand would be screws for leveling, but it would seem they aren't. How do you guys go about leveling these stands with the feet attached? I don't want to remove the feet in case of a spill/etc, and I feel like shims would be very obvious (especially right on the corner people see the most/easiest). Just looking for any ideas to level it while still be aesthetically pleasing/etc.

Hopefully I'll start a build thread sometime soon.

Bonus pic of the IM Nuvo 20 on the other side of the room that the Reefer 250 will be replacing.

20190409_182741.jpg

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my Reefer 250 finally situated. I'm not super happy with it's overall appearance in the room, but it's the only option. I have to keep the stand a bit to the right side of the wall there as the outlet behind the stand would be blocked otherwise (I contemplated running a new outlet, but the SO wouldn't want another hole in the wall). The extra room on the left of the stand does allow me to place a little cabinet for extra storage though. Hopefully with that it'll even out the tank/location a bit.

20190410_193129.jpg

I was happy that the stand went together really well. Seems very sturdy and fit together really well (no misaligned parts/etc). My only issue now is that the tank/stand isn't level. It's leaning about 1/4" forward and to the right (I'll try to take some pictures of the level on it). I was originally hoping the feet on the stand would be screws for leveling, but it would seem they aren't. How do you guys go about leveling these stands with the feet attached? I don't want to remove the feet in case of a spill/etc, and I feel like shims would be very obvious (especially right on the corner people see the most/easiest). Just looking for any ideas to level it while still be aesthetically pleasing/etc.

Hopefully I'll start a build thread sometime soon.

Bonus pic of the IM Nuvo 20 on the other side of the room that the Reefer 250 will be replacing.

20190409_182741.jpg

If you are replacing the IM Nuvo 20 you should consider placing the Reefer 250 in it's place and not the original location shown in your picture. It appears to be a more open space as the chair isn't right next to it and will show better.
Also regarding your leveling issue you need to keep the feet on the cabinet and the side of the room where the IM Nuvo 20 is located may be more even.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190409_182741.jpg

Hey there - Long time lurker, first time poster.... about your Reefer 250 leveling concerns- I had the exact same trouble with my RSR250. It was slightly lower on the front left side, and the back right corner also needed elevating to level it from left to right, front to back, and diagonally corner to corner. I also wanted something aesthetically pleasing so that it didn't look awkward. I wanted to avoid shims as you mentioned.

I wound up finding black, rubber washers from Home Depot in the aisle that has all the other stainless steel washers. I tried rubber and stainless steel washers, but found that the rubber ones worked better because they compressed with the weight of the tank on the stand and they didn't stand out (visibly) like the stainless steel ones. Plus, they won't ever rust. I put the washers in between the stand and the feet, so they were barely noticeable - especially if you go with black rubber ones like I did. It was a lot of trial and error adding them to get it right, but eventually I was able to level and square up all sides/corners of the tank.

About the accessibility to the outlet.. Red Sea recommends you leave a 4" space behind the glass and cabinet. Perhaps if you do that, it might allow you to reach the outlet that was previously covered up and also allow you to center the tank on the wall however you wanted it.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are replacing the IM Nuvo 20 you should consider placing the Reefer 250 in it's place and not the original location shown in your picture. It appears to be a more open space as the chair isn't right next to it and will show better.
Also regarding your leveling issue you need to keep the feet on the cabinet and the side of the room where the IM Nuvo 20 is located may be more even.

I had considered it, but a few issues there. The flooring around the Nuvo 20 isn't great, it wobbles/creaks when you walk past it and it's next to a more high-traffic area. Also that area of the room doesn't have any sort of wall/support in the basement (whereas the other side where I have the 250 now has a wall along the basement right under it, if that makes any sense). The chair and other furniture in the room will be moved once the 20 is taken down, opening up the space around the 250 to be more appealing. I also wanted to leave the 20 up until the 250 cycles/I'm happy with everything in it. This could all change and I'm going to play around with the room a bit this evening to see if anything else would work better. Putting the 250 on that side of the room might allow me to center it on the wall since the chiller opening in the 250 stand may align with the outlet on that wall...

I never actually measured the level of the flooring on the side of the room where the 250 is now, will take a look at that tonight. Just wondering if it's the flooring or the tank/stand itself. The flooring in that room is newer, and we checked it's level when we put it in (was a few years ago though, so things could have changed since then).

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there - Long time lurker, first time poster.... about your Reefer 250 leveling concerns- I had the exact same trouble with my RSR250. It was slightly lower on the front left side, and the back right corner also needed elevating to level it from left to right, front to back, and diagonally corner to corner. I also wanted something aesthetically pleasing so that it didn't look awkward. I wanted to avoid shims as you mentioned.

I wound up finding black, rubber washers from Home Depot in the aisle that has all the other stainless steel washers. I tried rubber and stainless steel washers, but found that the rubber ones worked better because they compressed with the weight of the tank on the stand and they didn't stand out (visibly) like the stainless steel ones. Plus, they won't ever rust. I put the washers in between the stand and the feet, so they were barely noticeable - especially if you go with black rubber ones like I did. It was a lot of trial and error adding them to get it right, but eventually I was able to level and square up all sides/corners of the tank.

About the accessibility to the outlet.. Red Sea recommends you leave a 4" space behind the glass and cabinet. Perhaps if you do that, it might allow you to reach the outlet that was previously covered up and also allow you to center the tank on the wall however you wanted it.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

That's a wonderful tip on the washers, I hadn't though about something like that! I did try some of those felt pads for chairs/etc on hardwood floors, but they were white and very obvious. I'll take a look for some of those rubber washers this weekend and give them a try if I still need to level once I perfect the location.

Didn't know about the 4" recommendation, which reminds me I haven't even opened the paperwork that came with the tank! I'll try moving the tank/stand around a bit today to see if anything looks better. It may even be a bit more level that way.

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered keeping the Nuevo 20 as a QT or simply a second display tank?

Of course! If I had it my way, I'd have a room full of tanks. Unfortunately I don't always get my way though...

I have an old Nuvo 8 in the basement I had originally thought to use as a QT tank, but I may hang on to the 20 for that reason. I don't think the 20 can stay where it is (with the 250 in the same room), I doubt the SO would approve, but I may move it to the basement for QT (which would be helpful near my mixing area/etc).

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that the total weight of the Reefer 250 (water, tank & cabinet) is 830 pounds. Make sure that wherever you decide to place it that the floor will be able to support that amount of weight!
Certainly. I was originally somewhat afraid of the weight, but that's why I prefer the wall I've placed it on versus the other side. The wall to the left of the 250 is sitting on our concrete foundation, and the wall behind the tank is directly over top another wall parallel to it in the basement. I didn't have any sort of engineer come out and inspect, but I believe it shouldn't be an issue.

I've started a build thread here in case anyone would want to follow along, thanks for all your help so far!

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a wonderful tip on the washers, I hadn't though about something like that! I did try some of those felt pads for chairs/etc on hardwood floors, but they were white and very obvious. I'll take a look for some of those rubber washers this weekend and give them a try if I still need to level once I perfect the location.

If you need a picture let me know. The rubber washers were in those bins that have all the odds + ends / unique pieces. There were some that were super flat, and about 1-1.5" diameter and there was some that were only 0.5" diameter and pretty much matched the size of those rubber feet perfectly. Once I had it all leveled you couldn't even tell they were there. Hope it works out! I'll check your build thread out for updates.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know about the 4" recommendation, which reminds me I haven't even opened the paperwork that came with the tank! I'll try moving the tank/stand around a bit today to see if anything looks better. It may even be a bit more level that way.

You could probably get away with only 2 inches depending on your light mounts or pump mounts. I wound up putting my Red Sea 3.75 inches from the wall to accommodate my light mount setup. At first I didn't like the gap but I got used to it and now think it looks better a few inches away than right up against the wall. Personal opinion, though. Should be easier to clean up spills behind the tank now too.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get away with only 2 inches depending on your light mounts or pump mounts. I wound up putting my Red Sea 3.75 inches from the wall to accommodate my light mount setup. At first I didn't like the gap but I got used to it and now think it looks better a few inches away than right up against the wall. Personal opinion, though. Should be easier to clean up spills behind the tank now too.

My 250 is only about 1 1/2” away from the back wall. I intentionally placed it close as I wanted to minimise the protrusion into the living space but if I ever have cause to empty it partially I will be moving it out another inch or so as it is very tight back there. So I definitely recommend a little more space than a little less.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through a few pages of this, and have searched for it, but who all have installed a roller mat (any brand) on a V3 250. Preferred brand of choice, and did you have to modify the sump to do that? Pictures of setup if you have them.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with drilling holes in the partition wall inside the Red Sea Reefer cabinets? Such as the 450, 425, 750, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and what their experiences are please & thanks!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with drilling holes in the partition wall inside the Red Sea Reefer cabinets? Such as the 450, 425, 750, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and what their experiences are please & thanks!

Yep, I used a hole saw to m0unt a 1" bulkhead and a 3/4" bulkhead. The 1" bulkhead is right behind where the pipe comes through and I use it to pass my cables through from one side to the other.

fullsizeoutput_45ed.jpeg

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I used a hole saw to m0unt a 1" bulkhead and a 3/4" bulkhead. The 1" bulkhead is right behind where the pipe comes through and I use it to pass my cables through from one side to the other.

Thanks so much! Appreciate it. Did you have any concerns with doing that and affecting the structure of the stand? The stand looks and feels pretty solid, I'm sure I'm just being overly cautious.

Also wondering if anyone has any experience with those dang cam-locks? A couple bent on me without much torque, and I wonder if the stand has some fault tolerance in it or if it really matters once those things are cinched tight? I'm going to email Red Sea to ask how much the stands are designed to hold, but I would guess (WAG) it's engineered to hold 1.5-2x the weight. Anybody have any input on that?

Cheers everyone.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! Appreciate it. Did you have any concerns with doing that and affecting the structure of the stand? The stand looks and feels pretty solid, I'm sure I'm just being overly cautious.

Absolutely zero concerns... you could make a ton of holes and not affect the structural integrity of it. If it makes you feel any better, I have degrees in physics and mathematics... and do custom fabrication for a living. A lot of things I do are a balance between design, weight and strength.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely zero concerns... you could make a ton of holes and not affect the structural integrity of it. If it makes you feel any better, I have degrees in physics and mathematics... and do custom fabrication for a living. A lot of things I do are a balance between design, weight and strength.

Appreciate the input, thanks again! Planning to put 2-3 holes in that partition wall for plumbing and I thought it's better safe to ask. I figured someone here has already tried it.

What's your take on those cabinets, based on your educational background? Those cam locks don't exactly inspire confidence.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back