adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I put my Vectra S1 pump into "feed mode" and that 10 minute feeding time ends the water level in the tank does not return to the same level as before and I have to play with the Red Sea valve allover again!

Calibrate your S1. I have mine calibrate and it always returns back to the position prior to using feed mode.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 250 diaphragm valve is driving me nuts. I can set the height of water in the overflow to half an inch below the top of the emergency drain and it will hold this level for hours. Then suddenly the water level will rise and literally gush down the emergency drain. If I slowly open the valve and touch at a time, nothing happens (i'm waiting in between adjustments). The only way to get the levels to drop is to open the valve a good quarter turn, then the level drops in an instant and I can re-tune to the get the level right again.
Then a few hours later the whole process repeats.
The very big problem that this creates is that every time the water level rises suddenly, my ATO dumps a load of RO into the sump. Keeping my salinity constant is impossible.
This has been getting steadily worse for the last couple of months, the first 6 months of the Reefers life the system was perfect.
I have cleaned the valve and my return pump several times and it has made no difference.
Please help, I will soon have no hair left to pull out.

The first problem is that you're running your water level to low. You want the water level to be just slightly trickling down into the emergency overflow. When done right their will be zero sound and then you'll never have to worry about salinity swings since your level is already set to the emergency overflow it won't ever cause the ATO to lick on if your diaphragm closes.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gaurantee you're calibrating won't. When you calibrate the return do you dial it up to where it fills the overflow then dial it back so the level doesn't raise or fall?

When I did it the water level was just slightly trickling down into the emergency overflow. I usually have it set to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch below the top of the emergency overflow.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did it the water level was just slightly trickling down into the emergency overflow. I usually have it set to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch below the top of the emergency overflow.

You definitely want it to be at a slight trickle. The thing is if you get it to the proper flow where it's at a trickle then back it off all youre doing is setting the flow to hold at a set point but that isn't enough to get you back to the set point.

Here's mine going into feed and then back out of feed mode.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here running MP10s on a 170? I hear conflicting reports that the heads will torque off because the glass is to thick and others saying it's fine. I plan on running two on alternating currents at about 1,200gph.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone here running MP10s on a 170? I hear conflicting reports that the heads will torque off because the glass is to thick and others saying it's fine. I plan on running two on alternating currents at about 1,200gph.

Youll be fine with the 170. I have the nano and the glass is basically the same thickness. I run two on my back wall and there is no issues. As a matter of fact plenty of people even run them on the 250 back wall or sides. Just secure it to the glass via the cord hanger to add support and youll be good!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per Neptune a single Wav at 1% is 1800 gph. The reefer 250 is 54 gal display so for an SPS tank like he wants you want a 40x - 60x flow turnover rate. Meaning they need anywhere from 2100gph - 3240gph. If they are set on alternating currents it will be completely fine to even run then at 3% or 4%. If they're both going to be continuous then both at 1% will be fine.
@adrianr514 @Scurvy So what kind of scenario would you recommend for having a single WAV on a REEFER 250? It is an SPS tank so I would want 40x - 60x flow turnover rate and the display tank volume is 54 gallons then it would need 2100 gph - 3240 gph, so this is what I'm quoting you above. So what percentage range would give me those flows with a single WAV instead of two WAVs in your example above? And also would you put a single WAV on an end wall of the display tank or the back wall in a corner angling toward the front wall?

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@adrianr514 @Scurvy So what kind of scenario would you recommend for having a single WAV on a REEFER 250? It is an SPS tank so I would want 40x - 60x flow turnover rate and the display tank volume is 54 gallons then it would need 2100 gph - 3240 gph, so this is what I'm quoting you above. So what percentage range would give me those flows with a single WAV instead of two WAVs in your example above? And also would you put a single WAV on an end wall of the display tank or the back wall in a corner angling toward the front wall?

I still haven't decided what powerhead to go with, myself. Leaning towards a Maxspect 330. I was thinking that if you mounted two WAVs low off the side walls close to the back, and angled towards the overflow to disperse it across the tank you might wind up with something acceptable. Will experiment when tank arrives

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have calibrated the S1 and the water never returns to the same level. :(
@Westside Guy I don't know if you have a controller or not but if you do you would want to turn you ATO off when you go into feed mode or maintenance mode until your the modes are over, your return is back to previous flow rate, and your overflow level is the same as before.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The hard part is finding what the wavs max outflow is and also is the power linear? Neptune rates it at ~4000+. That could put it absolutely anywhere. So hypothetically if it maxs out at 4100 you would divide that by 100 if the power is linear. In this situation it would mean that every 1% = 41gph.

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hard part is finding what the wavs max outflow is and also is the power linear? Neptune rates it at ~4000+. That could put it absolutely anywhere. So hypothetically if it maxes out at 4100 you would divide that by 100 if the power is linear. In this situation it would mean that every 1% = 41gph.

It just occurred to me that I can use my other system as an experiment...

I just set a WAV in my other tank at 5%, plugged in 66 gallon for DT size, excluded all other flow in the FLO app, and the Apex software estimates about 30-32 turnovers per hour with just the one pump...

After a little more experimenting, it turns out that even running it up to 20% only gets you 35 turnovers per hour, so I'm guessing that there is very little ability to significantly adjust flow at the lower settings.

Last edited:

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll be fine with the 170. I have the nano and the glass is basically the same thickness. I run two on my back wall and there is no issues. As a matter of fact plenty of people even run them on the 250 back wall or sides. Just secure it to the glass via the cord hanger to add support and youll be good!

Thanks. I'm trying to replace the ones I have right now and just haven't found anything that I would want other than mp10s

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating a Wav setup for my 350 mainly for the simplicity of adding to the Apex.

Technically capable of adding 1-10v control to my Eco Drifts but it's far from an elegant solution.

Or do I wait for the RS ReefWaves?

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna be honest here... I love my gyres... I started with gyre xf230s in my xl425... In the beginning, they were awesome. The more I added to the tank though, the less effective they were starting to get. I just swapped out the 230s for 250s and what a difference. I really wanna try the apex wavs, but very hesitant with the mixed reviews on them... I have gyres on all 3 of my tanks currently. I would say the only thing that sucks about them, is cleaning them. I have so many spare parts that I just swap out all the paddles and cages real quick and throw the ones I just pulled off in a bucket of vinegar water for a few days and scrub with a toothbrush. Then I have those ready for next swap... I do have to admit that on the reefer if you do have multiple wave patterns setup during the day, the overflow does seem to get out of wack occasionally and will also effect optical sensor for topoff, which I have in my return section... very annoying. I have bean animal and herbie overflows in my other tanks and they keep up with the change in wave patterns all day long... Currently breaking down my reefer xl425 to either sell it or start over. Ive been saying it for awhile and I wish I would have listened to myself and others, but I wish I went bigger... By the time you fill the 425 up with rock and livestock and powerheads, it gets really crowded very quick

Last edited:

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a while back about how the water level in my overflow was suddenly rising. Well, things have changed.
I adjusted the flow valve so the last small turn was to open it slightly rather than my normal method of the last adjustment closing it a touch. Now my water level holds fine, just below the emergency overflow. But a couple of times a day it is like the flow valve has suddenly been opened a lot. Water flows into my sump at a heck of a rate and my overflow empties. My Tunze alarm is triggered and then the water level returns slowly to normal over a couple of minutes. This is an improvement because my ATO doesn't trigger and I can keep my salinity constant.
I still have no idea what would cause this though.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My juvenile clowns competed quarantine and a couple days in the acclimation box- All good. I let them free into the display but used the "tube slide" technique I saw on melev's reef and another poster I can't recall. Worked great- All clowns now happy in the BTA and no issues going on third day.

I shot a quick video that's on my build-

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/astroreefers-425xl-build.327975/page-7#post-6136747

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back