boomopret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no SPS in my tank yet. I want a bird's nest, my parameters are good for it but without a way to confirm my PAR levels I am leery ( about SPA in general), but this tank was built around getting a Mandarin. I do run these on Apex, and the flexibility is great, I am very new to Apex so I am still learning how to fully utilize what it can do. I can't run both at more than like 40% cause for me it's too much flow. So I am working on alternating flow patterns. I hope to set it up at some point to run 3 different patterns, on alternating days. Still not sure how to program this yet lol.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield sweet. How do you like them? Are you sps heavy or mixed reef? Is it controllable via apex?

I love them for the price, small footprint and ease of control. I'm getting 500 par about 6" BWL. I am running a mixed reef with around 7 sps at the moment. Seeing good growth out of all of them. I have the following sps so far:
  • Green Birds Nest
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Rainbow Monti
  • Blueberry Acro
  • Strawberry Shortcake Acro
  • Purple Milli
  • Green Slimer Acro
The Primes are not controllable from the Apex, but they have WiFi built in. So I actually like it better. No need for any modules or anything. My old Hydra 52's were controllable through the Apex, but it didn't give me the control that the AI interface does on the Primes.

gpinto81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield thanks for the details, I certainly like the ease of control you mention, I see you have 5 on a 5 foot tank, I was thinking going for 3 to start - what are your thoughts?

DrayB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just starting to mod the sump section for neater wiring and better isolation of pumps reactors etc etc.
the first parts i ordered arrived within 4 days of me hitting order but some of the other bits have taken nearly 2 weeks and still not arrived :(

tank power grid.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

yes its a mess, but just wait :)

i also made a couple of changes to the sump...

11236449_10153815341092481_1101065792368676913_o.jpg

and yes....i forgot to remove the plastic wrap....this will soon be gone as well :)

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield thanks for the details, I certainly like the ease of control you mention, I see you have 5 on a 5 foot tank, I was thinking going for 3 to start - what are your thoughts?

3 Primes on what? I didn't see you list which Reefer you have!?! I apologize if I missed it.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just starting to mod the sump section for neater wiring and better isolation of pumps reactors etc etc.
the first parts i ordered arrived within 4 days of me hitting order but some of the other bits have taken nearly 2 weeks and still not arrived :(

and yes....i forgot to remove the plastic wrap....this will soon be gone as well :)

I look forward to seeing this thing all organized. It's amazing to see all of the different methods Reefer owners use to plumb, organize, choose equipment etc. The very reason I created this thread!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries... Reefer 350

I recommend 4, but you can always add more later if you only do the three. I'm honestly thinking about adding two more. What type of coral are you trying to keep?

DrayB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look forward to seeing this thing all organized. It's amazing to see all of the different methods Reefer owners use to plumb, organize, choose equipment etc. The very reason I created this thread!

i would mind a more detailed look at the way you have done your doors and hinges :) whats behind them etc etc

gpinto81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend 4, but you can always add more later if you only do the three. I'm honestly thinking about adding two more. What type of coral are you trying to keep?

Mainly Zoas, Brains, Trumpets, Candy Canes, birdsnest, and some acro...

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly Zoas, Brains, Trumpets, Candy Canes, birdsnest, and some acro...

I would do 4 then... better coverage. Especially if you are wanting to do some acros etc. A Bird of Paradise Birdsnest doesn't need as much light, but others will want a little more. Like I said though, you can easily add more if you just start with 3.

gpinto81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield thanks for the feedback! I am just anxious to get it all started... we move into our new home in less than 3 weeks and the first thing I plan on doing is ordering the 350... already started the ordering part, got a RO/DI systems, gyre, apex, etc... but now I have to "patiently" wait lol

Fishphi784

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Thought I would poll the owners about lighting for a 350. Would you prefer 2x radions XR30w or 3 hydra 26s aligned perpendicular to the back wall. I though the hydra 26s might be better in terms of reducing shadowing but I have and like ecotechs and you can add wide angle lenses. Either way, I'll be posting my build here in a few months. Everyone's tanks look awesome!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Thought I would poll the owners about lighting for a 350. Would you prefer 2x radions XR30w or 3 hydra 26s aligned perpendicular to the back wall. I though the hydra 26s might be better in terms of reducing shadowing but I have and like ecotechs and you can add wide angle lenses. Either way, I'll be posting my build here in a few months. Everyone's tanks look awesome!

You honestly can't go wrong with either. Heck, they are owned by the same company at this point. I have always owned AI products myself, but wanted to try the Radions. Part of me says to do the Radions since you have owned them and are familiar with them. You wouldn't have to re-learn a whole new fixture and how each color of LED affects your corals compared to that of the Radions. The other part of me says to try the new Hydra 26 HD's since they have WiFi built in and the ability to overdrive LED's

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, maybe a stupid idea but id figure id see what you guys think!
In the sump, the water flows over the baffle, through the sponge, and into the return chamber. Ive never been a fan of sponges in my tank. So my thoughts are this, remove the sponge (or cut a few inches off the sponge the whole way across) and put a couple thinly filled bags of rox carbon over the top. That way all the water that goes to the return is forced to flow through the carbon and such.
(really i am trying to get a tad more export without a reactor as i dont really have room.)
Thoughts?

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really like that idea. Would that work?
Im not sure, i would need to find some form of media bag that is long and skinny, (in my head i picture something thats like 1 or 2 inches in diameter and 6+ inches long, kind of like the shape of a condom but ya know.. media bag. lol

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, maybe a stupid idea but id figure id see what you guys think!
In the sump, the water flows over the baffle, through the sponge, and into the return chamber. Ive never been a fan of sponges in my tank. So my thoughts are this, remove the sponge (or cut a few inches off the sponge the whole way across) and put a couple thinly filled bags of rox carbon over the top. That way all the water that goes to the return is forced to flow through the carbon and such.
(really i am trying to get a tad more export without a reactor as i dont really have room.)
Thoughts?

While not ideal, I guess it would be better than nothing. I will say that running carbon in that fashion would be better than running GFO in the same manner. GFO should be lightly tumbled in a reactor so it doesn't clump... producing better surface area contact. Whereas carbon is much softer and could easily breakdown to dust if tumbled.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back