Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the Red Sea Reefer series tanks are getting more common in hobbyist's homes, I thought it would be nice to have a one-stop place to share and discuss them. I love mine and I think it's one of the nicest setups for the money. It's far less expensive than an Elos and even cheaper than Innovative Marine SR series. I love setups that allow for user customization and I like checking out what others are doing with theirs. I think Red Sea really hit big with this one and the # of sales proves that. So please post up pics of your setups and feel free to discuss mods, tips, equipment etc.

I'll start out with a sump pic of my 450:

Sump by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6030 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Current state of my Reefer 450:

FTS by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_5293 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I'm also going to leave this here so it's easy to find... my very cheap solution to splitting the return:

PART LIST:

1/2" NPT Connector for 1/2" Loc-Line
Y Fitting for 1/2" Loc-Line Modular Hose
1/2" Loc-Line Modular Hose - 6 segments (you can split this in half or buy two of them if you want really long arms)
(2) Round Nozzles for 1/2" Loc-Line Modular Hose (you may choose to do the flare or straight-flow nozzles, but I like these the best)

1. First remove the Red Sea fitting out of the end of the return nozzle... it's just pressure fit with Teflon tape.
  2. Then simply wrap the threaded section of the NPS fitting with about 10 wraps of Teflon tape.
  3. Next twist/slide into the Red Sea nozzle... it should go in somewhat snug.
  4. Then pull it back out and wrap it again with about 10 wraps of Teflon tape.
  5. Go ahead and twist/slide it back in... done.
  6. Lastly, snap on the Y fitting and your selection of Loc-Line segments and nozzles.

Our very own @pelphrey recently put together a nice instructional video on this also.

Last edited:

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these on both my tank. Love the socks and CAN'T beat the price. I use the 4x8 with ring. May get the 4x12 next time around. Ordered 10 but currently only using 3 in a rotation. I get 3-4 days with them. Was them out with a hose outside and let them air dry. This way they'll last longer. Although you could collect a few nasty ones and throw them in the washer.

http://www.aqua-socks.com/aqua-sock-store.html

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Would like to know what other filter socks everyone is using. The Red Sea ones suck pretty bad, gets clogged in one day now

The Vertex ones are confirmed to be a direct replacement, but they area also impossible to find.

I, like a lot of others, modified the tray and mount to house standard 4" socks... you have no idea how great it is to be able to use standard 4" socks!

IMG_4297 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vertex ones are confirmed to be a direct replacement, but they area also impossible to find.

I, like a lot of others, modified the tray and mount to house standard 4" socks... you have no idea how great it is to be able to use standard 4" socks!

Can you tell us exactly how you did this? Dremel?

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4297 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I completly agree the frustration of the "non-standard" socks is making me consider building a similar "rack" style filtration that IM has for their fusion tanks. I think i am going to make it out of acrylic, i am just not sure what I want out of it, so i am sitting on it.

srpntmage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to show yet, but I have a Reefer 250. It's going to be my second tank, with the first being a highly modified Biocube 29.
Just got it set up, and am buying components now.

So far I have:

Ecotech Vectra M1 Pump
Maxspect Gyre 130
Eshopps s-150 Skimmer
Smart ATO top off
Two BRS Deluxe Media Reactors
Zen Reef Frag Rack
Zen Reef Glass Cleaner

Need to buy still:
Kessil a700 panel light
Apex Standard System
Precision Marine ATO Container
A bunch of plumbing
Arag Alive Fiji Pink sand
Reef Cleaners Dry Rock
More filter socks
A Biopellet reactor of some sort

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us exactly how you did this? Dremel?

I used a die grinder with a drum sander attachment. You have to open open up the grey trays and then of course the black holders that the trays slide into. I did the trays first, then dropped the 4" socks in and used a scribe to trace around the diameter of the sock onto the black holder. Then proceeded to enlarge the holder to the scribed line.

NOTE: I am not using the Red Sea ATO reservoir. So I simply pull my socks out through the top. If you still want to maintain the slider functionality, then you will need to grind more of the black holder so the tray/sock can slide into place... essentially make a "U" shape in the black plastic.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to show yet, but I have a Reefer 250. It's going to be my second tank, with the first being a highly modified Biocube 29.

That's a nice list of goodies! I look forward to seeing it up and running.

whatchamacallit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there's no way to mod the 170 ones because they are basically all the way to the edge.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there's no way to mod the 170 ones because they are basically all the way to the edge.

That's a bummer... do you have a closeup overhead picture of the area? I would be interested in seeing how tight it is.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red sea reefer 170

That's looking great! I love the 170's... I wish I had the money and time to maintain a second reef tank.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... Toying between the 250 and 350... Any learning lessons?

Personally, I would do the 350. That extra foot of viewing length will come in handy for more aquascaping layouts and a little more room for fish to stretch out.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger the better. Ultimately itsnever big enough. So go with the biggest you can.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I love my 450, but I would of bought a 6 or 7 footer if Red Sea made one!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back