Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I cannot choose between two options so maybe you guys could help me out.
I'm planning on buying a 525XL and it will be a Mixed Reef.

I have two options for lightning;

3x Radion XR30 G4 Pro
5x Radion XR15 G4 Pro

I like the idea of creating multiple zones with the XR15's for SPS and LPS.

Thanks! :)

I vote for the 3x Radion XR30 G4 Pros.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another factor I learned about when talking to @Scubabum the fans on the 30's never shut off. I have two 15's and the fans rarely ever come on!

That's because with the 30 you only have 1 fan driving two lights for 180w and with the 15s you have 1 fan per 90w. So from a heat standpoint the fixtures will be less hot on the 15s over the 30s.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@adrianr514 @Scurvy So what kind of scenario would you recommend for having a single WAV on a REEFER 250? It is an SPS tank so I would want 40x - 60x flow turnover rate and the display tank volume is 54 gallons then it would need 2100 gph - 3240 gph, so this is what I'm quoting you above. So what percentage range would give me those flows with a single WAV instead of two WAVs in your example above? And also would you put a single WAV on an end wall of the display tank or the back wall in a corner angling toward the front wall?
Sorry, I missed the tag. If I were to go with a Wav on a 250 it would have to go on a side pane. I don't think you'd get the angle you’d need to go more lengthwise with the flow mounting on the back glass. Flow would be crushing the front glass.

You would probably be forced to angle it from back on the side panels towards the opposite front corner but it would probably need to be mounted more towards the middle of tank than the top if that makes sense? As for the actual GPH numbers at low speeds I couldn't give you an accurate number.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because with the 30 you only have 1 fan driving two lights for 180w and with the 15s you have 1 fan per 90w. So from a heat standpoint the fixtures will be less hot on the 15s over the 30s.

Yes, they also run when the leds are off. Just something to keep in mind!

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go with Octo Pulse 2's. I'll let you know how they turn out. Only requires an $11 10v adapter cable to be programmed by Apex. I have high hopes

Michael_NL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need 6 XR15s to match 3 xr30s.
If you could swing 6 XR15s then go with that as you can adjust the light spread more evenly across your reef.

Also watch this from BRS, they compare numbers and spread between multiple XR15s vs. XR30s.

Unfortunately I dont have the space to place six since I cannot hang them from the ceiling. I need to mount them with the RMS arms so that's a maximum of 5 on a Reefer 525..

I thought 3x XR30 would be too much light in a mixed reef situation because you have less control in brightness/intensity than in the XR15 combination. But maybe that's not case?

Another factor I learned about when talking to @Scubabum the fans on the 30's never shut off. I have two 15's and the fans rarely ever come on!

Yes that's definitely important since the tank is in the livingroom! Are they loud? Or not noticeable?

Thanks everyone! :)

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I dont have the space to place six since I cannot hang them from the ceiling. I need to mount them with the RMS arms so that's a maximum of 5 on a Reef

You can always do this. You'll need 4 RMS mounts, 2 tracks and 6 RMS slide mounts so you can have 3 lights in back and 3 lights in front. No ceiling mount required.
Also there are multiple track lengths to span across a 525.
121946d51a40fe49ae3bd7fe23b8cccd.jpg

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I cannot choose between two options so maybe you guys could help me out.
I'm planning on buying a 525XL and it will be a Mixed Reef.

I have two options for lightning;

3x Radion XR30 G4 Pro
5x Radion XR15 G4 Pro

I like the idea of creating multiple zones with the XR15's for SPS and LPS.

Thanks! :)

The xr 15
I personally have this and love the flexibility of the spread

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted here in quite some time... I'm happy to see the thread runs just fine without me lol.

I took a break from reefing a little while back... I'll get back into it at some point though. I thoroughly cleaned the tank and it has just been sitting dry. I ripped out my Apex insert and sold off my sump, plumbing, reactors, skimmer etc. Essentially putting the tank back to stock... empty and a barren cabinet. I didn't want to get away from having a tank though... and honestly, I didn't want the hassle of trying to sell my 450 lol. So I decided to try my hand at building a unique planted tank. Since most planted tank owners are super DIY and keep things simple overall, I figured I would go the opposite route and way over engineer it... which to me also means making it look cool everywhere. All new sump that I designed to have a cascade of three sock/media cup holders in line. Utilizing a filter sock at the first level, Seachem MatrixCarbon at the second level and lastly Seachem Purigen at the 3rd level. Custom Co2 diffuser and Pentair UV plumbed into the cabinet. Reusing my Apex to monitor it all and reuse my DOSs to perform daily, automatic water changes and dose fertilizers. Lastly reusing my Giesemann Spectra with a pair of 250 watt Hamilton 6500K MH bulbs.

Since the tank was completely drained, I wanted to come up with a different way to plumb the tank. I really wanted to put in standard bulkheads and plumb the entire overflow etc. But it just isn't feasible to safely get the Red Sea bulkhead assembly out, without cutting out the overflow and going at the bulkhead assembly from the side. I wanted to do something that the normal DIYer wouldn't be afraid to attempt. I also wanted to make sure the Red Sea standpipes would be removable for servicing, cleaning etc. So this is what I came up with:

I felt a planted tank deserved green plumbing. I still need to do my 1/4" dosing lines and water change lines... which all lead down to my basement. I will be doing something a little unique with all of those... as there will be 6-8 of them.

This is very nice work another great job done by you

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I dont have the space to place six since I cannot hang them from the ceiling. I need to mount them with the RMS arms so that's a maximum of 5 on a Reefer 525..

I thought 3x XR30 would be too much light in a mixed reef situation because you have less control in brightness/intensity than in the XR15 combination. But maybe that's not case?

Yes that's definitely important since the tank is in the livingroom! Are they loud? Or not noticeable?

Hey Michael, I saw I was tagged in this and I'll give you my thoughts. I have 3 XR30 G4 pro's on my Reefer 525XL mixed reef. My par is pretty even across the entire tank and I couldn't be happier. The fans are always on and during the day you hardly notice them. At night you can hear them but it's noting obnoxious but definitely not silent. I've run many lights over my 25 years of reefing and The Radion XR30's have been my favorite lights by far.

June.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Michael, I saw I was tagged in this and I'll give you my thoughts. I have 3 XR30 G4 pro's on my Reefer 525XL mixed reef. My par is pretty even across the entire tank and I couldn't be happier. The fans are always on and during the day you hardly notice them. At night you can hear them but it's noting obnoxious but definitely not silent. I've run many lights over my 25 years of reefing and The Radion XR30's have been my favorite lights by far.

June.jpg
Thats a Stunner!

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy carp that is a beautiful tank ;Drool Especially with the pop. Nicely done.

You all are making me want Radions . I do need new lights ;)

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've hard plumbed my reefer 350 using this replacement adapter. Would I use the same for a 625 xxl?

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-...Replacement-Return-Connector-16mm-R42221.html

Yes both use the same inner fitting number.
upload_2019-6-20_2-11-56.png

Only on the 650 the downpipe is glued directly over the part due the tube size. On the 750 emergency pipe it is also glued over the part but not sure on the 650.
So if you want to keep the tubing size you will need to use right connector to fit the tube size or glue directly over the part like RedSea did with the elbow.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes both use the same inner fitting number.
upload_2019-6-20_2-11-56.png

Only on the 650 the downpipe is glued directly over the part due the tube size. On the 750 emergency pipe it is also glued over the part but not sure on the 650.
So if you want to keep the tubing size you will need to use right connector to fit the tube size or glue directly over the part like RedSea did with the elbow.

Awesome, thank you very much. Pretty much going to just do the same thing for my 350 then with the extra teflon tape.

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for mounting power packs/adaptors for my lights and such in the cabinet? I’d love to strap them to the walls somehow instead of a clump on the base of the cabinet.

Back