NotSoCivil_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RSR 350 V3, thinking about cutting out the filter sock area and installing a Clarisea filter roller.

1. How hard it is to cut out that area and what did you use to do it with?
2. Any pics or tips on doing this modification?
3. Can you do this with the sump in place or do you drain the sump and remove?

Thanks,

Digging an old post back up. Were you able to do this successfully? Would love to see pics/examples. I can't seem to find anyone that has done it.

Thanks!

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure I share how I installed the Clarisea Sk3000 on the 350 v1. I didn’t remove the sock holder or any complicate re plumb. I didn’t want to have to move my dosing container but mostly I just want to install as quickly as possible with minimal work. I simply barb from the main stock drain with 1” tube to the inlet of the Clarisea.
1854C21A-23A6-4B6B-BD89-7A8735216279.jpeg

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure I share how I installed the Clarisea Sk3000 on the 350 v1. I didn’t remove the sock holder or any complicate re plumb. I didn’t want to have to move my dosing container but mostly I just want to install as quickly as possible with minimal work. I simply barb from the main stock drain with 1” tube to the inlet of the Clarisea.
How long have you had it in place? Hoes it working?

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it in place? Hoes it working?

Just installed it yesterday. It’s working great. Just chugging along and move the roll every few minutes. I haven’t noticed a big change in clarity yet since I was running socks before but the thought of not changing socks again is awesome.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven’t mustered up the courage to spend $300+ on an @crystalreefaquatics sump even though I really really want to. With that said I added an acrylic sheet with weirs to raise the water level in the fuge. Should be getting my fuge light tomorrow and only thing I’ll be missing from there would be a Tunze 9004.

95394c9a92f4ae2cda299f1a5f6fb09a.jpg

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading a lot in this thread.... I just picked up a used Reefer 170 that I should start setting up next week. I don't see very many people utilizing the sumps as refugiums? Why?

I was planning on a fug instead of a skimmer, not really room to do both. This will be my 4th tank to set-up and I have tanks with & with out skimmers. My smaller tanks seem to do better without a skimmer.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading a lot in this thread.... I just picked up a used Reefer 170 that I should start setting up next week. I don't see very many people utilizing the sumps as refugiums? Why?

I was planning on a fug instead of a skimmer, not really room to do both. This will be my 4th tank to set-up and I have tanks with & with out skimmers. My smaller tanks seem to do better without a skimmer.

Check out my post above. Most full-size skimmers eat up too much room and in my case was over skimming my tank so I removed it in favor of putting together a bigger fuge. I am planning on running a nano skimmer in the overflow chamber for gas exchange and CO2 scrubbing to keep my ph stable. Other than that unless you’re really heavily stocked a skimmer may not be needed.

Edit: it’s a 170.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NotSoCivil_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the photo! I have the V3 sump - realized there isn't enough footprint room in the sock area if I wanted to plumb it in. Otherwise I think I am looking at potentially losing my refugium if I wanted to make it happen. Trade-offs...

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my post above. Most full-size skimmers eat up too much room and in my case was over skimming my tank so I removed it in favor of putting together a bigger fuge. I am planning on running a nano skimmer in the overflow chamber for gas exchange and CO2 scrubbing to keep my ph stable. Other than that unless you’re really heavily stocked a skimmer may not be needed.

Edit: it’s a 170.

Thanks... you posted that as I was going backwards through the thread... went all the back to summer of last year and stopped :)

So is your fug in the same section as your return pump?

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... you posted that as I was going backwards through the thread... went all the back to summer of last year and stopped :)

So is your fug in the same section as your return pump?

No, that pump is for the Carbon reactor I’m running. It pulls water out of the fuge and then exits back into the baffle before the return pump.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha... guess I'll see and figure out more when I set it up next week...

But still, I don't see very many reefers with a fug... just skimmers & all kinds of other stuff hooked up down there.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those with the Reefer 170, where do you mount your pumps/wave makers? on the side or on the back? middle, front or back if on the side? I have 1 MP10 to add to mine, figured that'd be enough flow... not doing sps

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those with the Reefer 170, where do you mount your pumps/wave makers? on the side or on the back? middle, front or back if on the side? I have 1 MP10 to add to mine, figured that'd be enough flow... not doing sps

When I run 2 mp10s I put them in the back. Right now I’m running a single one and I have it on the side glass towards the center line of the front third of it as high as possible without pulling in air.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried looking in this thread but it's gotten so long now I missed it. I have a RSR 525 and want to move the sump out from under the tank into the room behind the display tank. What size are the pipes? I recall it's metric, right? But extra teflon tape if you get a standard close enough makes up for the minor difference. That's how I changed out the stock return valve. I want to have everything, and extras, on hand when I tear everything down to move the sump. I want to minimize the trips to Home Depot looking for adapters and parts. Thanks.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy at the LFS said there is a differetn return available that's a larger diameter for the Reffer series. I'm referring to the 90 right where the return line from the sump makes the turn to return water to the dispolay. He says that 90 is a smaller diameter and restricts the flow. I looked at mine last night and it does look smaller than the tube coming up to feed it.

Any thoughts on this?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back