James-reefer2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone have the link of how the controller board built? This thread is too long and there is no search function , hard to find, Tks advance!
07D106F0-070B-4FB6-B88D-3C4E4D032403.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried looking in this thread but it's gotten so long now I missed it. I have a RSR 525 and want to move the sump out from under the tank into the room behind the display tank. What size are the pipes? I recall it's metric, right? But extra teflon tape if you get a standard close enough makes up for the minor difference. That's how I changed out the stock return valve. I want to have everything, and extras, on hand when I tear everything down to move the sump. I want to minimize the trips to Home Depot looking for adapters and parts. Thanks.
You need red sea part 42221. Unscrew the nipple, and screw on a 3/4” threaded pipe adapter. Then you can plumb the tank anyway you want. Disregard that the identification description doesn’t call out your specific tank. Your only after the coupling.

James-reefer2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need red sea part 42221. Unscrew the nipple, and screw on a 3/4” threaded pipe adapter. Then you can plumb the tank anyway you want. Disregard that the identification description doesn’t call out your specific tank. Your only after the coupling.
I think it’s this one 42222

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s this one 42222

The right part is the #42221.

The 42222 come now glued with the connector, so you cannot unscrew like the old one.
On the left "new" version and on the right the "old" one.
1563715457536.png

But all have the same ref in the connector itself
1563715440603.png

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 170 - So I just broke the valved down pipe & it is out of stock on marineandreef. I broke the "nut" that is used to tighten it to the down pipe that comes through the bottom of the tank.

So looks like I'll be replacing it all.

Now, what size is it? I understand it is probably metric. Should I swap it out for std & install a good gate valve?

Is it 3/4? Which I guess would be 20mm? Is it a metric union coupling I need to hook to the down pipe?

If I am changing it out to std and it is 3/4" I already have the pipe, 90's & a gate valve. Just need to be able to hook up to the bottom pipe.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking in the thread. Is the only way to hard pipe by using the 42221 part?

Yes and no. Some will sand or mill down pvc to glue to the stock plumbing. Few different ways but require more skill and tools.

Easy way is with the adaptors. I order 3 more because I will be redoing my return pump to display and figured a few spares may come in handy.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 170 - So I just broke the valved down pipe & it is out of stock on marineandreef. I broke the "nut" that is used to tighten it to the down pipe that comes through the bottom of the tank.

So looks like I'll be replacing it all.

Now, what size is it? I understand it is probably metric. Should I swap it out for std & install a good gate valve?

Is it 3/4? Which I guess would be 20mm? Is it a metric union coupling I need to hook to the down pipe?

If I am changing it out to std and it is 3/4" I already have the pipe, 90's & a gate valve. Just need to be able to hook up to the bottom pipe.
What do you mean you broke the nut? If you screw the nut too tight there is no stopper. It just simply slips back to the begging of the threads. Tighten it just so it is tight and holding on to the upper pipe with the o-ring in place. The nuts on the bottom pipe are designed to slip off the threads of the top pipe. If there wasn't this slip they could be tightened too tight. Is this what you are talking about "broke the nut?" be sure the o-ring is seated properly.

@BantyRooster97 Have you tried Fish Tanks Direct for Red Sea Parts? On their sight go to Aquarium Supplies > Replacement Parts > Red Sea Replacement Parts.

See @RandyC build thread post #37 on a conversion union to slip right over Red Sea part #42221 no need to use teflon. Glue the part on.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess when I was tightening it, I turned too hard... the actual nut cracked and is now broken. It cannot be tightened down now.

On a side note, I did not have o rings on any of the piping. Is there supposed to be? Keep in mind this is an older 170, like mid 2017 or so.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess when I was tightening it, I turned too hard... the actual nut cracked and is now broken. It cannot be tightened down now.

On a side note, I did not have o rings on any of the piping. Is there supposed to be? Keep in mind this is an older 170, like mid 2017 or so.
All pipes NEED o-rings or everything will leak like a sieve.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of what I thought when I was putting it together. Guessing the o ring should be on the pipes that lead down from the tank, so the seal is inside the tank.?

Guess when I bought the tank the guy did something with the o rings.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upon closer inspection, there are o rings, they are just black.

Update, called Amanda @ Red Sea and she was able to get me part # R42221 so I can replumb my tank today. She was AWESOME to deal with!!

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, water testing my 170, filled the overflow box up and I have 2 small drips (1 from the return pipe & 1 from the main drain).

How do you seal this thing up? I tried not to over tighten. I even added teflon tape to the main drain (it was leaking yesterday during my first attempt to hook it all up).

What is the secret? The videos online make it look so easy!

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question but I want to be sure before I start replumbing and moving the sump for my 525. When using PVC pipe do you use primer and glue or just slip fit everything? I ask because I'm not sure if either the primer or the glue is toxic to a reef tank. I wouldn't think the glue is since the frag glue is similar but what about the primer? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Thanks.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question but I want to be sure before I start replumbing and moving the sump for my 525. When using PVC pipe do you use primer and glue or just slip fit everything? I ask because I'm not sure if either the primer or the glue is toxic to a reef tank. I wouldn't think the glue is since the frag glue is similar but what about the primer? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Thanks.
It's safe for You, it's safe for the reef tank. Prime and Glue everything that is SLIP.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back