MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 250 :)

20200102_200231-01.jpeg 20200103_172243-01.jpeg 20200104_215822-01.jpeg 20200104_220309-01.jpeg 20200105_185925-01.jpeg

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using Clarisea sk3000 on your v3 sump reefer 250? I am curious how you install it. Thanks
I plan to use it with Nyos Torq and Nyos 120 skimmer. Will these all fit?

Last edited:

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using Clarisea sk3000 on your v3 sump reefer 250? I am curious how you install it. Thanks
I plan to use it with Nyos Torq and Nyos 120 skimmer. Will these all fit?

Yes! I am in the process of doing a very similar build. In fact, I just finished modding my Reefer 250 v3 sump and posted detailed photos and instructions on how to remove the filter sock holder and baffle in my build thread. I'm also waiting on my Nyos 120 skimmer from BRS and will be going with either 2 x Aquamaxx XS or 2 x Biotek Media reactors.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really need a good drop in filter roller that works on the stock reefer sump. Any company makes that would take my money.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I am in the process of doing a very similar build. In fact, I just finished modding my Reefer 250 v3 sump and posted detailed photos and instructions on how to remove the filter sock holder and baffle in my build thread. I'm also waiting on my Nyos 120 skimmer from BRS and will be going with either 2 x Aquamaxx XS or 2 x Biotek Media reactors.

I watched your video and will be following your build. Thank you for the detail steps on how to mod the sump to fit Clarisea :) You are not using Nyos Torq? I will it is easier to use drop in reactor like Torq instead of doing more plumbing.

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not using Nyos Torq? I will it is easier to use drop in reactor like Torq instead of doing more plumbing.

Because sump space is so tight in the Reefer 250, I decided to go with suspended reactors to free up space. I also figure that if I'm going to be hard plumbing the return line anyways, it's not that much incremental work to just suspend the reactors. This allows me to run two separate reactors and leverage my return pump manifold to save some electricity. Here's roughly how I am thinking of laying out the sump. As you can see, I retain the full use of the original refugium chamber and can can still use the ato for another refugium or a quarantine tank.

20200119_054625.jpg

I might suspend one of the reactors on the left cabinet side towards the front of the stand if space is too tight on the back wall. I'll finalize that when my pvc fittings come in and I can dry fit it all out.

While I don't love the way the traditional media reactors attach their lids to their bodies with all the nylon screws, with the Torq, I don't like the idea of letting the water just overflow around the tube. I'm concerned it will be noisy and messy, especially if you are running refugium lighting in your sump that will encourage algae growth.

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because sump space is so tight in the Reefer 250, I decided to go with suspended reactors to free up space. I also figure that if I'm going to be hard plumbing the return line anyways, it's not that much incremental work to just suspend the reactors. This allows me to run two separate reactors and leverage my return pump manifold to save some electricity. Here's roughly how I am thinking of laying out the sump. As you can see, I retain the full use of the original refugium chamber and can can still use the ato for another refugium or a quarantine tank.

20200119_054625.jpg

I might suspend one of the reactors on the left cabinet side towards the front of the stand if space is too tight on the back wall. I'll finalize that when my pvc fittings come in and I can dry fit it all out.

While I don't love the way the traditional media reactors attach their lids to their bodies with all the nylon screws, with the Torq, I don't like the idea of letting the water just overflow around the tube. I'm concerned it will be noisy and messy, especially if you are running refugium lighting in your sump that will encourage algae growth.

Have you had a look of reefer 300 skimmer? It comes with a drain tubing and bigger collection cup that allows you to drain the skim to a bigger container so you can wait longer between clean up.

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had a look of reefer 300 skimmer? It comes with a drain tubing and bigger collection cup that allows you to drain the skim to a bigger container so you can wait longer between clean up.

This was probably one of my biggest equipment debates. I'll talk about this more in my build thread later, but in the end there were a few reasons I went with Nyos 120 over the Redsea RSK-300:

1. Nyos has a smaller footprint and I am trying to maximize floors space in the sump.
  2. I'm not sure how well the neck cleaner is going to hold up over time. As I understand there's a flap that wipes the neck and that seems like something that will need replacing down the road. Also, if you use the Redsea 300 the way it's designed, you then need to find a place for a skimmate cup in the tank. I've also had problems in the past with the skimmate tubing getting clogged, especially if you are running your skimmer on the dry side.
  3. I thought the gearing on the water level control seemed a little over-engineered.
  4. I've heard the air diffuser on the stock RSK 300 is loud.
  5. I don't think I will like the build/feel of injection molded plastic vs. CNC machined acrylic. In the past I had a Royal Exclusiv Bubble King Mini 160 and the heavy beautiful acrylic just looked and felt like quality. The Nyos is not quite up to that build quality, but still really good.

As I mentioned, it was a close call for me and I almost went with the Redsea 300... It sounds like a great skimmer and I believe a lot of people are happy with it. In the end, I prefer the way the Nyos looks and fits in my sump and I'll share a more informed review after my tank gets wet and has been running for a few weeks.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well fellow RS reefers owners I traded my brand new 750XL for the 650P. long story there but I got a call from a LFS ( not so local about 6hrs away ) saying he has a clt that tank busted a seem and needs replacement APSP ( tank was not RS) he new that I was in the market for a peninsula tank as after I bought the 750 we ended up buying a fixer upper home with a nice place for a peninsula tank. so long story short 3 of us move the tank out at 3;30 AM in a wyoming snow storm that dumped over 12" of snow.

crazy what we do in this hobby...so now I am reeferless but once the reno done a nice new 650P is getting setup woot woot.

~on that note can anyone tell me the inside dems of the sump area need to se if the 40W penair UV will fit inside.
thanks!

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have my sump pretty much plumbed! Just need to cement a couple more joints and soft plumb the return pump to the manifold (for noise reduction) and I am hoping this puppy is ready for water. I'll be posting a full breakdown of the exact parts I used and photos of the various broken out sections over the weekend in my build thread.

20200131_225752.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back