extremetang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize you weren't asking myself, but I don't have the bubble trap installed anymore (the sponge filter before the return chamber). Someone else on this forum once said "Let it flow!" and I tend to agree. From my understanding the sponge filter helps to eliminate micro bubbles and also filters out some particulate. Using filter floss in my cups so particulate doesn't seem to be an issue in my setup. Likewise with the microbubbles. I don't really notice any in the display, or at least none that bother me.
Thanks that’s helpful. I’ve been debating on whether or not to leave it in there bad have had equal mixed response

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FF758779-21FF-4A10-8F08-A2D6B6BD9331.jpeg

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. What doser are you running?
Thanks dude, reefdoser evo4, Tank’s only been running 7 weeks so still adding and tidying, cable ties are coming out today and I’ve lost room for my Seneye tablet Cause I added 3 more wave makers at the weekend. Might have to expand the controll panel again lol.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Barks Q: Did you repurpose your stock ATO to a deep sand bed? Spotting something like that in the picture above. Loving the idea if that's accurate.

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Barks Q: Did you repurpose your stock ATO to a deep sand bed? Spotting something like that in the picture above. Loving the idea if that's accurate.
Yes mate,
it wasn’t really planned, I bought 40kg of redsea live reef base sand costing £120 and it blew everywhere with just 1 6000 lph pump on half so I made the decision to remove the sand which was a nightmare.
i gave half of it away and put the other half in the ato as it’s useless anyway.
i don’t think the grain size is small enough but I thought I would see what happens. From what I can see it’s done nothing in a month, I would of expected bubbles within a couple of weeks, although Copepods are flying around in there hundreds.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm you really got me thinking if that's something I should do or not. I contemplated using the refugium partition and putting in sand, so maybe it's the same idea. It might be worth it just for copepods, no?

How come it was a nightmare to take the sand out?

PS-We were just in the UK in January. Been plenty of times. Love the countryside!

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm you really got me thinking if that's something I should do or not. I contemplated using the refugium partition and putting in sand, so maybe it's the same idea. It might be worth it just for copepods, no?

How come it was a nightmare to take the sand out?

PS-We were just in the UK in January. Been plenty of times. Love the countryside!
Hi,
if you were already thinking about using a partition to do it then this is a better way as you can easily remove it if it goes wrong or in a few years if it’s great and you change tanks it’s up and running.
i think as all the reasearch suggests it’s an old idea that works if the particle size is correct and it isn’t disturbed but there is better more controllable ways there’s days.
hehe ok, yes I grew up surrounded by it, now I just want to be diving in sharm all the time.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fine of a particle size? You said you tried Red Sea sand but I'm not familiar. I have a bag of oolite sand to use, so perhaps that will be fine enough.... I'll do some more research. Thanks for sharing your experience, mate!

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fine of a particle size? You said you tried Red Sea sand but I'm not familiar. I have a bag of oolite sand to use, so perhaps that will be fine enough.... I'll do some more research. Thanks for sharing your experience, mate!
Hi bud.
Link to dsb info
The sand i tried is 0.25mm to 1mm
Redsea live reef base ocean white.
Im leaving it in for another month to see.
Cheers
Barks

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi bud.
Link to dsb info
The sand i tried is 0.25mm to 1mm
After reading this article it suggests a grain size that is half of .25mm. The oolite sand I have is the same as yours, 0.25-1mm. The article seems to suggest .125 for a grain size. Maybe that's the issue?

Excerpt: "Most sediment-dwelling organisms appear to have similar precise preferences. However, most will also live at least marginally well in mixed-sediments with sizes around their optima, and most sediment particle size optima seem to be in the range of 0.050 to 0.200. Consequently I suggest a range averaging about 0.125 as a good compromise. It isn't specifically the best for most infaunal species, but it will allow a diversity of species to live pretty well. "

I might still pursue this idea and try to find the appropriate sand for the project. Seems really intriguing.

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this article it suggests a grain size that is half of .25mm. The oolite sand I have is the same as yours, 0.25-1mm. The article seems to suggest .125 for a grain size. Maybe that's the issue?

Excerpt: "Most sediment-dwelling organisms appear to have similar precise preferences. However, most will also live at least marginally well in mixed-sediments with sizes around their optima, and most sediment particle size optima seem to be in the range of 0.050 to 0.200. Consequently I suggest a range averaging about 0.125 as a good compromise. It isn't specifically the best for most infaunal species, but it will allow a diversity of species to live pretty well. "

I might still pursue this idea and try to find the appropriate sand for the project. Seems really intriguing.
Good luck Bud,
dosent have to be sand, just read up and be careful.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to order a Reefer 350, it seems pretty obvious but I can't find the information and want to be sure, plumbing is included right?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all plumbing is included for overflow and return.
+1all you need with the new tank to get the cycle started is a return pump, Salt, RODI water, Sand or Rock for the bacteria to live in and ideally a bacteria in a bottle product And of course time. No need for plumbing parts accept maybe a bit of hose to connect your return pump to the tanks plumbing.

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone put a roller mat in their 250/XL 300 with the v3 sump? I’d love to see pictures.

Here's the Clarisea SK-3000 in my Reefer 250 v3 sump. My build thread has a walk through on how to mod the sump to fit the Clarisea in. Works perfectly.

20200227_055219.jpg

20200217_173523.jpg

20200210_065154.jpg

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all plumbing is included for overflow and return.

Thanks!

+1all you need with the new tank to get the cycle started is a return pump, Salt, RODI water, Sand or Rock for the bacteria to live in and ideally a bacteria in a bottle product And of course time. No need for plumbing parts accept maybe a bit of hose to connect your return pump to the tanks plumbing.

Thank you, just need some hose and I'll be good to go!

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have one of the new versions with the plywood stand? I just received my 425XL and the stand is still the particle board version. If someone has access to the box that the stand comes in, I would be very grateful if they could send me photos of the labels on the box.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back