ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little Red Sea 450
0420ED63-14BC-4D1F-8FAB-E1376F4BACC3.jpeg
Hey you dont happen to have any pictures of how you set up your control panel by chance? Im looking to do something similar with mine today !

Otter Water Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put chaeto in there and no surprise. No tumble at all. That’s ok. Maybe a small cheap pump to get it going otherwise do you think it’s probably fine to just let it sit and manually flip here and there?

Coming from someone who's chaeto overgrew it's "tumble zone" a couple years ago - mine has been totally happy NOT tumbling and grows very well. I have a small drop-in fuge box in my sump and occasionally make sure there aren't dead pockets expanding unchecked for too long. I try to strike a balance with my drop-in fuge of small amounts of frequent maintenance to my chaeto growth rather than letting it go unattended to for large lengths and then removing a significant amount of overgrowth or decaying chaeto/detritus. Working for me! I pull 2-3cups of chaeto each week from my 425xl system.

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from someone who's chaeto overgrew it's "tumble zone" a couple years ago - mine has been totally happy NOT tumbling and grows very well. I have a small drop-in fuge box in my sump and occasionally make sure there aren't dead pockets expanding unchecked for too long. I try to strike a balance with my drop-in fuge of small amounts of frequent maintenance to my chaeto growth rather than letting it go unattended to for large lengths and then removing a significant amount of overgrowth or decaying chaeto/detritus. Working for me! I pull 2-3cups of chaeto each week from my 425xl system.
Thanks for the info! So far it seems like mine is happy and growing. Only been about a week so will keep a close eye on it. I like the idea of pulling a few cups from it weekly vs a big trim monthly.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the floor piece of the dry side of my 525 a structural component?

I am thinking of placing it on the floor to get a few extra inches of height.

anyone think this is a bad idea?

8A77FDF2-C89F-4669-BA86-8D41D205A2DB.jpeg
281BD676-1EC9-4C19-BC58-DA08814474CC.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the floor piece of the dry side of my 525 a structural component?

I am thinking of placing it on the floor to get a few extra inches of height.

anyone think this is a bad idea?

8A77FDF2-C89F-4669-BA86-8D41D205A2DB.jpeg
281BD676-1EC9-4C19-BC58-DA08814474CC.jpeg
What do you need two extra inches of space for? I would and did install that panel. I found no issues with height and space needed.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a specific red sea reefer build thread where the guy custom painted the tops of this aquamaxx reactor plates orange. Anyone have any insight on this?
@Brent Behringer this video isn't about AquaMaxx reactors but ReeferGil paints parts of his Skimz skimmer Apex orange:

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I recently ordered a Red Sea XL 300 as an upgrade to my nano tank! I am now picking up small bits here and there (more sand, rocks, extra heater, etc) to prep. I am also in need of a few larger upgrades to my equipment. I was hoping you guys could give me a thumbs up or down on these few things before I send the orders in in the next couple weeks.

Ecotech Vectra S2 - Red Sea lists 660gph return pump suggested. This is listed for 1400. So, it will run at roughly 50%.

Red Sea RSK 300 Protein Skimmer - The total volume of the tank is 80g. This skimmer is rated for that at a heavy load. I also saw a table that shows this is ideal for SPS at up to 80g. I am RIGHT at that size, but I am assuming it would be fine. I currently have some bits of SPS here and there, but definitely not dominated. Red Sea's promotional video with the 200/300 had the RSK600 in the sump of their XL 300, though.

MP40QD - With 1/2 glass, the MP10s won't quite work very well from what I understand. I assume these will be great for this tank.

Super excited and very appreciative of any help!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys and gals I need some help ordering a part from Fish Tanks Direct. I either misplaced or lost the red rubber washer that goes to the return outlet nozzle assembly. Part #42188 ?!? It butts up against the bulbous part of the outlet.

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay guys and gals I need some help ordering a part from Fish Tanks Direct. I either misplaced or lost the red rubber washer that goes to the return outlet nozzle assembly. Part #42188 ?!? It butts up against the bulbous part of the outlet.
Maybe these help?

SniffanyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the 525 - its a really really nice tank right out of the crate. There are several build threads on the forum regarding the different equipment choices that work well with these setups. Did you have a skimmer in mind yet, or still just kickin the tires?

Where can I find said forums? LOL I’m interested in seeing what’s working well for others. I have my 525 tank and cabinet built. Had to reorder one of the pipes underneath which got here this past week. I’m so ready to get aquascaping done to start adding water. TIA!

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These BRS fittings in your link look like slip to slip. I am not sure how your reefer 450 is different than others but you need slip to threaded. I don't understand why you are not just doing what Broadfield did? Is your reefer 450 somehow different than his and my 425xl. Perhaps you should load a picture so we can understand what the issue is.

If it is like ours, then all you have to do is remove the barbed fitting from the reefer return union. Purchase the slip to 3/4 inch threaded adapter, wrap 15 turns of teflon tape around the threads and tighten it down onto the reefer union. It works, many of us on this thread have done this. Here you can see mine on the down pipe from the display, you can't see my return in this picture but its identical, and I'm going to do the same on my emergency drain when I get a couple fittings I'm missing.
IMG_8408.JPG IMG_8424.JPG IMG_8425.JPG IMG_8411 2.jpg
I was planning on doing a similar mod on my xl425 once it arrives on delivery from my LFS. Did you have to purchase part 42221 or 42222 that I keep seeing in many build threads, or does the standard plumbing have the removable barb on all 3 drains that just needs the 3/4" thread to 1" slip piece?

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on doing a similar mod on my xl425 once it arrives on delivery from my LFS. Did you have to purchase part 42221 or 42222 that I keep seeing in many build threads, or does the standard plumbing have the removable barb on all 3 drains that just needs the 3/4" thread to 1" slip piece?
Its changed since back then- red sea ships it glued together I believe. Either piece will work but you need to be able to remove the barb fitting. 42221 is preferable.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe these help?
@RaymondsWorlddd I don't believe it's the o-ring set. O-rings aren't washers. This is a rubber washer it's in a circle but it's not quite symmetrical per say. If you lay it flat on one side it's wider on one side than the other.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back