Show off your crabs in your tank!

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I added an Emerald crab to my tank last week. It was doing great...cleaned off an entire rock full of algae in 3 days! I was very happy!

Two days ago I found it dead inside of a hole in my rock. I'm not sure what happened to it.

My guess is:

- It tried to molt and for some reason couldn't. It had been turning white the last time I had saw it which (from my understanding) is usually when they are getting ready to molt. Or it was killed after it had molted...but I didn't find a molted shell anywhere.

- It was killed by the thing that keeps making popping noises in the tank. Is it a pistol shrimp? Is it a mantis shrimp? I don't know...but it pops all the time and the pops have become increasing louder over time (so it must be getting bigger) and I have yet to see exactly what it is that is doing it. :confused:

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald and anemone crabs—hanging together.
D70B3EB0-4066-46C2-B87E-0DF545C55121.jpeg

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked crabs growing up, maybe it's because of my love for SpongeBob (with Mr. Krabs being on the show). Anyway, I want to see pictures of your crabs or your experience with crabs!
I had a ruby mithrax crab named Mr. Krabs, lol! He was really evil though, maybe I should have named him Plankton. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I'll see if I can find a picture. He unalived my harlequin serpent star and kept snapping at fish, so he was evicted, along with my hermits. I love crabs too but they have been menaces in my tank!

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my one and only crab, an orange sponge crab ‘marcocoeloma trispinosum’ he lives in my nano with a painted frogfish, he has been pretty good with leaving corals alone apart from the Kenya tree which he has torn apart and put on his back. His name is Sid btw.
E7A7313A-D2BB-4B76-82C0-D4E672425DFF.jpeg

Last edited:

Wolf8895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Emeralds and about a dozen dwarf hermits. I love watching them meander about the tank. Except one of my hermits has decided to camp constantly on my tenuis. I can't tell if I killed it or the crab has it constantly aggravated. Either way, it's brown and I haven't seen any PE since I got it a few weeks ago.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my one and only crab, an orange sponge crab ‘marcocoeloma trispinosum’ he lives in my nano with a painted frogfish (check out my build thread to see more of him) he has been pretty good with leaving corals alone apart from the Kenya tree which he has torn apart and put on his back. His name is Sid btw.
E7A7313A-D2BB-4B76-82C0-D4E672425DFF.jpeg

He is really cool! Is he considered one of those "decorator crabs"? He's apparently trying to camoflauge himself as an urchin, haha.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is really cool! Is he considered one of those "decorator crabs"? He's apparently trying to camoflauge himself as an urchin, haha.
yeah they are usually sold as Decorator or Sponge crabs, but these are closer related to pitho crabs than they are to Spider decorator crabs.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pitho crab!! have you experienced them bothering corals at all?
No. I've had 3 pithos. Two died for unknown causes. This third one seems to be fine but doesn't do much. Not much algae for her to work on, so I feed her a cut square of nori every day. I've only ever seen her bothering my pink nepthea, but I don't know if she was picking at the coral or just trying to climb up a bit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back