IMG_1480.JPG

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My redo:
2x6 top frame, doubled front beam, 3/4" plywood top.
2x4 ladder frame for bottom, 1/2" plywood top.
White Formica laminate on both tops.
1/2" plywood back & sides.

new_stand-jpg.485512

Painted & ready to go in:

img_6832-jpg.497763

And with panels put on - resting on trim and held to stand by magnets:

img_6890-jpg.501318
Very Awesome.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Phaquer I want to see more of the structure to your solid hardwood stands! That is some fine woodworking. lol I'm tired of seeing 2x4 stands wrapped in plywood.

merfish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don't. Was to busy building it to think about that. Tank was coming in and I needed the stand done yesterday. You know how that goes.
Thank you for responding. I am building my stand now and yours is my inspiration/blueprint. The wife and I really like the decorative touches you used. Did you make the trim pieces or buy them? (I'm thinking untreated 4x4) I'm far from being a carpenter but I do what I can. I wish I could build it from a picture like you did but I'm not that good yet. Care to share your secret?

Tom Lipare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Thanks for the reply back. I would say make temples of the brackets that way they are all the same, give or take...
I would say not to rush and watch what you re doing. The brackets are pieces of 1 x 5, glued together them cut out and sanded. I think the hardest part for me was getting it painted. Several coats of a good exterior paint will hold up better than interior paint. Brackets are screwed from the back. I also caulked the inside of the stand. So glad I did that since I have forgotten about it when I was filling it one day. Ended up with about 4 inches of water in the lower section of the stand. Better than on the floors.
If you have any questions let me know. I will try to help.

Tom

SD_Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the cabinet that I built. The beam, doors and counter are made from reclaimed barn wood. Feel free to PM me with questions. Thanks for looking.

Here is a FTS Including the beam which came out of a 150 year old barn in Penn.​

Another FTS​

Before water went in - You can see how the counter turned out. The counters use to be barn floors, in the same barn the beam came from. I left the boards with heavy distressing.​

Here is a close up of the doors. The doors were made from barn fencing that came from Kentucky. All 4 doors can be removed to make maintenance easier.

Here is a shot with the front doors removed. I used 2x8 headers across the top to avoid a center beam. Makes access to the sump very easy.​

Here is a shot with all the doors removed and the trap door that conceals my cords​

That might be the best stand I've ever seen. And I love the history of being made from old barns. Well done sir

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back