Show us your Cirrhilabrus isosceles, Pintail Fairy Wrasse

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Salty1962, Jul 17, 2017.

1. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I've had a couple different specimens now. The first one was a bit of a timid puppy, and the second one is more like a ornery chihuahua.

bhuyett, Salty1962 and leahfiish like this.

2. LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice Well-Known Member

He didn't start out bad but the prettier he gets, the meaner he gets. He's mostly a jerk to the anthias and chromis. He also lives with dart fish, gobies, 2 angels, butterfly, tang, and clowns. He's the only wrasse for now, he used to live with a leopard that was there before him but I lost the leopard in a move last winter.

Salty1962 likes this.
  3. el rookie

el rookie Active Member

20160328_104210-1-1.jpg

4. Brogratz

Brogratz Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I love love love powder blue tangs, can't wait to get my peninsula tank so I can finally get one :). I also love the wrasse, definitely one of my favorites. I can't get pics of mine because he's so shy unless I am feeding.

el rookie likes this.
  5. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Mine has a death wish. Twice now I have quickly removed the screen cover to feed my eel ..... bloop .... pintail on the carpet.

Brogratz likes this.
  6. DarthSimon

DarthSimon Apex Control Freak R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Curious how long your guys took to acclimate and come out. I have a new male and female. Bought as a pair. The first 24 hours they both seem to be very timid and shy,
    They are eating though.... They hang out under rocks and dart around. They shoot out for food and then back to caves to hide. Once every 15-20 minute I can see one of them in a small area. They quickly go back. They are in the tank wit a Super Male Lineatus, Female Rhomboid, Male Magma and Leopard.... The other wrasses don't seems to be showing any aggression. Seems like any sign of a fish, they take cover. I suppose good sign they came out for food after 24 hours right?

20170820_213943797_iOS.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    AbominableBro likes this.
  7. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Showcase Editor Partner Member Expert Contributor

It's not unuaual for pintails to take a little while to get comfortable to a new tank, especially if there are other established wrasses.

However, I would recommend to start looking for a new home for one of your 2 pintails. Fairy wrasses do not form bonded prs. Gender is based on social situations, which includes a degree of posturing, chasing, and aggression. Also, in captivity female fairy wrasses almost always transition to male, even if a male is already present, and unless the tank is huge, almost always results in one of the 2 ending up dead.

It is important to point out in your case that you don't have a male/female pr, but rather 2 males. I strongly suggest rehoming 1.

8. DarthSimon

DarthSimon Apex Control Freak R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Thanks for info... They were sold to me as a pair. The specimen on right side has much more coloration under lights. Yet I understand and will watch this closey. It's funny my LFS wouldn't break them up. I only wanted the so called male. It would have been the same price without.

It's funny no other fish in tank are chasing them.
    They just seem to be skiddish.... The male is a tad more social and will venture out a little bit. The female is pretty recluse.

9. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Showcase Editor Partner Member Expert Contributor

Those are 2 males.

MamaLovesHerReefTank likes this.
  10. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Yup. There is no female in that picture.

MamaLovesHerReefTank likes this.
  11. sil40sx

sil40sx Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just got mine and very excited. I don't know if male or female. I think its a male, but get mixed results when searching pictures online. TIA!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  12. ChiCity

ChiCity Valuable Member R2R Supporter

It’s a young male, and a very beautiful one too!

13. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Not a problem, Sil40sx - this is the kind of thread that could use a bump now and again. Especially with a well-photographed young beauty like that one!

~Bruce

saltyhog and Keenan like this.
  14. sil40sx

sil40sx Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Thanks, and thanks for clarifying.

Thank you!

Maritimer likes this.
  15. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Valuable Member

lets bump this up :)

I am thinking of getting one of these. Are they a very active fish like most wrasse or timid?

16. Xanthurum

Xanthurum Active Member

I don't have any good close up pics.

20180307_205741.jpg

OrionN and codydemmel4 like this.
  17. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

They're active, usually out & about, but they can be intimidated by aggressive fish.

~Bruce

18. MIKE NY

MIKE NY Active Member

[​IMG]

HairyGary, Maritimer and dragon99 like this.
  19. mic209

mic209 Active Member

My first fairy wrasse, got him last week. [​IMG]

20. bluedevils6653

bluedevils6653 Active Member

looks good!

Draft saved Draft deleted