Show us your Cirrhilabrus isosceles, Pintail Fairy Wrasse

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, mine is kind of a jerk. But he looks nice so he gets away with it.
I've had a couple different specimens now. The first one was a bit of a timid puppy, and the second one is more like a ornery chihuahua.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's awesome. Who are his tank mates?

He didn't start out bad but the prettier he gets, the meaner he gets. He's mostly a jerk to the anthias and chromis. He also lives with dart fish, gobies, 2 angels, butterfly, tang, and clowns. He's the only wrasse for now, he used to live with a leopard that was there before him but I lost the leopard in a move last winter.

el rookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160328_104210-1-1.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has a death wish. Twice now I have quickly removed the screen cover to feed my eel ..... bloop .... pintail on the carpet.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how long your guys took to acclimate and come out. I have a new male and female. Bought as a pair. The first 24 hours they both seem to be very timid and shy,
They are eating though.... They hang out under rocks and dart around. They shoot out for food and then back to caves to hide. Once every 15-20 minute I can see one of them in a small area. They quickly go back. They are in the tank wit a Super Male Lineatus, Female Rhomboid, Male Magma and Leopard.... The other wrasses don't seems to be showing any aggression. Seems like any sign of a fish, they take cover. I suppose good sign they came out for food after 24 hours right?

20170820_213943797_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how long your guys took to acclimate and come out. I have a new male and female. Bought as a pair. The first 24 hours they both seem to be very timid and shy,
They are eating though.... They hang out under rocks and dart around. They shoot out for food and then back to caves to hide. Once every 15-20 minute I can see one of them in a small area. They quickly go back. They are in the tank wit a Super Male Lineatus, Female Rhomboid, Male Magma and Leopard.... The other wrasses don't seems to be showing any aggression. Seems like any sign of a fish, they take cover. I suppose good sign they came out for food after 24 hours right?

20170820_213943797_iOS.jpg
It's not unuaual for pintails to take a little while to get comfortable to a new tank, especially if there are other established wrasses.

However, I would recommend to start looking for a new home for one of your 2 pintails. Fairy wrasses do not form bonded prs. Gender is based on social situations, which includes a degree of posturing, chasing, and aggression. Also, in captivity female fairy wrasses almost always transition to male, even if a male is already present, and unless the tank is huge, almost always results in one of the 2 ending up dead.

It is important to point out in your case that you don't have a male/female pr, but rather 2 males. I strongly suggest rehoming 1.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for info... They were sold to me as a pair. The specimen on right side has much more coloration under lights. Yet I understand and will watch this closey. It's funny my LFS wouldn't break them up. I only wanted the so called male. It would have been the same price without.

It's funny no other fish in tank are chasing them.
They just seem to be skiddish.... The male is a tad more social and will venture out a little bit. The female is pretty recluse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for info... They were sold to me as a pair.

It's funny no other fish in tank are chasing them.
They just seem to be skiddish.... The male is a tad more social and will venture out a little bit. The female is pretty recluse.
Those are 2 males.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a young male, and a very beautiful one too!

Thanks, and thanks for clarifying.

Not a problem, Sil40sx - this is the kind of thread that could use a bump now and again. Especially with a well-photographed young beauty like that one!

~Bruce

Thank you!

Back