Show us your QT Tank(s)

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to QT but have been doing a ton of research and learning from everyone in multiple reef communities. I already received some great feedback on what I can do to my QT to make it a little more relaxing for the fish. I want to see everyone else's QT setups though to help inspire me and others.

I have a 37 gallon I'm using as QT. I will be painting the back and on side panel black after this round of QT and adding a small layer of sand to remove the mirror effect at the bottom. I may also add some fake plants and/or fake coral to give the fish more places to hide.

IMG_3124.jpg

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea painting the back and bottom does help with the mirror effect reducing stress. I keep a few pieces of live rock in mine along with the pvc pipe. Yours looks good to me.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use stable tanks as QT. What I mean is so many people sterilize their QT and start them fresh right before getting a new group of fish. They then contend with ammonia issues, cloudy water, etc. I prefer to have a very solid microbiome in my QT. If the previous QT fish were successfully released to your DT, no need to strip the QT...just leave it running with something in there to watch
Jay

OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use stable tanks as QT. What I mean is so many people sterilize their QT and start them fresh right before getting a new group of fish. They then contend with ammonia issues, cloudy water, etc. I prefer to have a very solid microbiome in my QT. If the previous QT fish were successfully released to your DT, no need to strip the QT...just leave it running with something in there to watch
Jay
I'm not quite at that point yet, but I'm curious as to what the best approach there is (sterilize and re-start or just continue using the QT as is).

When you re-use the tank as is, you just bring the copper levels down to zero, transfer the fish, then bring the copper back to 1.0 PPM for the next fish?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump! Let's see more of these!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
q system.jpg

This is our quarantine building under construction before our aquarium building was renovated. This would have been the summer of 2012 I think. These tanks were donated to us by a fisheries lab. The building extended about 2x this length behind the vantage point this picture was taken.

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back