Show Us Your T-Slot Aluminum Stands !

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks. I actually went with alufab. They are in my state, responded very quickly and I have my stand already designed and ordered. Should be here in a couple weeks. And it was less then framingtech by quite a bit.

AluFab, yep this was the company Tidal Gardens used.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I ended up just rolling the dice on my own design that I had worked up and ordering the extrusions and hardware from tnutz. I ordered the leveling caster base plates off another site I found, and the leveling casters themselves and some 1/2 inch marine board HDPE and 3/4 inch marine board HDPE for bottom and top shelves off amazon.

I had found and downloaded one of the extrusion design programs and used that to model my design.

Tnutz.com is absolutely amazing with prices. They cannot be beat!

I've ordered a ton of profiles, gussets, and other accesories for some of the stuff I built myself....in addition to the two stands I got from FramingTech.

Silvas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering which program you used? I am going to try and design a hanging light fixture once u get the frame. I know all the dimensions just have to figure out the drilling and countersink parts.
I got it from FrameXpert's site here https://www.framexpert.com/products/framedesigner/download/
There's 2 versions, one that's specific to MayTec, and one that's specific to 80/20 (this really only matters for the BOM and everything it can generate, other than that they appear to be the same software with the same basic operation and same look and feel). The one I used to finalize the design was the one for MayTec.

From there, I worked up my design (though it doesn't have proper load testing or anything, which is why I said I rolled the dice on my design) and then just counted up the number of anchor connectors I needed, the lengths of the profiles and which profiles I used, and various other hardware. I made sure to consider placement of the anchor connectors so that I didn't have clashes or conflicts, and then used the diagrams on the extrusion pages on tnutz to determine where to have them counterbore the extrusions.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from FrameXpert's site here https://www.framexpert.com/products/framedesigner/download/
There's 2 versions, one that's specific to MayTec, and one that's specific to 80/20 (this really only matters for the BOM and everything it can generate, other than that they appear to be the same software with the same basic operation and same look and feel). The one I used to finalize the design was the one for MayTec.

From there, I worked up my design (though it doesn't have proper load testing or anything, which is why I said I rolled the dice on my design) and then just counted up the number of anchor connectors I needed, the lengths of the profiles and which profiles I used, and various other hardware. I made sure to consider placement of the anchor connectors so that I didn't have clashes or conflicts, and then used the diagrams on the extrusion pages on tnutz to determine where to have them counterbore the extrusions.
Perfect thanks!!

Silvas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably be fine especially if you're not building for a huge tank - they do load calcs etc and machine for internal connectors, something you cannot do without special jigs and proper bench drill.

What size tank and which profiles did you buy?
Currently it's a 36x24 tank, but I wanted the stand to be 48x24 both for some additional room for equipment and so I can move to a 48x24 tank in the future if I want. Most of the stand is made from 1530 heavy duty extrusions, with a couple pieces of 1515 heavy duty.

2021-07-26.png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Currently it's a 36x24 tank, but I wanted the stand to be 48x24 both for some additional room for equipment and so I can move to a 48x24 tank in the future if I want. Most of the stand is made from 1530 heavy duty extrusions, with a couple pieces of 1515 heavy duty.

2021-07-26.png

You should be fine. 1530 is a beefy profile. You can also pick up a few gussets for corners to strengthen it.

FramingTech used 45x45 (mm) profile on my 48x18x? stand and 45x45 and 45x90 (mm) on my 83x32x46 stand.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully you'll have better results from Tnutz than me? I sent my order back and will look elsewhere. Their prices are great, just wished they put a little extra time in my order and care during the cutting process. My black anodized extrusion had scratch and scuff marks everywhere, as if they didn't clean the saw bed before each cut? Sent the wrong color corner gussets and the wrong size nuts and screws. The inside corner connectors didn't even fit the slot size. Their customer service was extremely slow and I had to send them several emails before I got a response. Just be ready to finish the ends of your bars, because it looks like they just cut and place in the box for shipping. Plus, I had to wait 3 weeks for the order to arrive. I really hope my experience is a one-time thing, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Sorry to derail the thread a little, but want others to be aware of my experience, especially when you're going to spend a good amount on materials.

Silvas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you'll have better results from Tnutz than me? I sent my order back and will look elsewhere. Their prices are great, just wished they put a little extra time in my order and care during the cutting process. My black anodized extrusion had scratch and scuff marks everywhere, as if they didn't clean the saw bed before each cut? Sent the wrong color corner gussets and the wrong size nuts and screws. The inside corner connectors didn't even fit the slot size. Their customer service was extremely slow and I had to send them several emails before I got a response. Just be ready to finish the ends of your bars, because it looks like they just cut and place in the box for shipping. Plus, I had to wait 3 weeks for the order to arrive. I really hope my experience is a one-time thing, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Sorry to derail the thread a little, but want others to be aware of my experience, especially when you're going to spend a good amount on materials.
Yeah, that was one thing that made me hesitate for 3 weeks - I've read a lot of good experiences with Tnutz and a lot of bad ones too. It seems really hit or miss. I went with the clear anodized extrusions rather than black, for the cost savings and also because I believe scratches and such are going to show up a lot less on those than on black, so that will help some. Hopefully they send me the right hardware.

In the end, I ended up pulling the trigger because I emailed fandl2080, framingtech, and alufab all within a day of each other and so far I've only gotten 1 response back from framingtech, which I replied to that I was wanting to move forward, then nothing; I did get a response from alufab after a week or so but the design they sent me wasn't something I liked, and the price they quoted me was astronomical - by the time I put panels on it I was going to be comfortably over 2k, nevermind the cost increases after changing the design; and I still haven't heard anything after 3 weeks from fandl2080.

I'm not really up for this endeavor taking until the end of the year just to get a design hammered out and ordered and such, and that's the trajectory it was looking like it was going to be on.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that was one thing that made me hesitate for 3 weeks - I've read a lot of good experiences with Tnutz and a lot of bad ones too. It seems really hit or miss. I went with the clear anodized extrusions rather than black, for the cost savings and also because I believe scratches and such are going to show up a lot less on those than on black, so that will help some. Hopefully they send me the right hardware.

In the end, I ended up pulling the trigger because I emailed fandl2080, framingtech, and alufab all within a day of each other and so far I've only gotten 1 response back from framingtech, which I replied to that I was wanting to move forward, then nothing; I did get a response from alufab after a week or so but the design they sent me wasn't something I liked, and the price they quoted me was astronomical - by the time I put panels on it I was going to be comfortably over 2k, nevermind the cost increases after changing the design; and I still haven't heard anything after 3 weeks from fandl2080.

I'm not really up for this endeavor taking until the end of the year just to get a design hammered out and ordered and such, and that's the trajectory it was looking like it was going to be on.
Gotcha! Yeah, you're better off with clear than black. In my case, I'm updating my canopy, so I have to stick with black. I originally ordered 30 series because of my existing mounting hardware, but I'm probably going to go 10 series and 3D print some outer shims to fit into the slots for the uprights. Alufab seemed really high to me too, especially when you look at the prices of everything. I'll probably order from F and L, just because I can drive to San Diego (from LA) and save on shipping, plus it will give me an opportunity to check out some shops in the area. Keep us posted, I really like seeing these stands built out.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

That's really the opposite to the experience I've had with them. I ordered 5 times and had one issue, they send casters that are mounted with 4 bolts instead of one with a post that mounts straight into the profile. Phone call later they issued a return label I shipped it back and they replaced with correct ones. Outside of that, I would not hesitate to order again and given that I didnt finish everything yet with my build I will be back for sure. If I had to complain, they have smaller selection of the 45-profile accessories than FramingTech but some stuff is less than half the cost.

Below just so you dont think I dont have experience with them.

1627405842588.png

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's really the opposite to the experience I've had with them. I ordered 5 times and had one issue, they send casters that are mounted with 4 bolts instead of one with a post that mounts straight into the profile. Phone call later they issued a return label I shipped it back and they replaced with correct ones. Outside of that, I would not hesitate to order again and given that I didnt finish everything yet with my build I will be back for sure. If I had to complain, they have smaller selection of the 45-profile accessories than FramingTech but some stuff is less than half the cost.

Below just so you dont think I dont have experience with them.

1627405842588.png
Good to hear, but unfortunately they lost me as a customer. Believe me, I really wanted it to work out, but they really didn't seem to care that much about my order and I put customer service as number one on my list of criteria when buying goods (and services). I hope my case is isolated, but I have my doubts. It probably helps that you live in the same State?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1627433706188.png

Mine is pretty simple with doors. Just need to get some materials to slide into the slots and for the top. 1200 including shipping.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and the fun begins. Post it when built.
no pics when completed? come on man you're slacking...haha

I am still looking at Tslot stands all these years later. for a custom tank its hard to beat. that said PNP system like RS and WB have great prices on complete systems.

I am dreaming of a large 300+ gallon tank with one of these stands.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had acrylic cut for the tank. Front and sides in 1/8" acrylic from canalplastics.com. Went with a Frosted/Ice colorway so that there was still transparency as I think showcasing t slot was kinda fun!

I used buttonfix products to attach the panels to the stand. The button (green) is mounted to the stand via t nuts and the adhesive mount (black) is attached to the acrylic. The panels slide on and off vertically for ease of access.

IMG_8628.jpg
IMG_8629.jpg

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am planning on getting a t slot stand for a new tank ,150 gallons… curious what everyone puts underneath their tanks between the aluminum, looks like pvc maybe?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back