Shrimp are shaking and acting unusual

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can't figure out what is going on with our tank, especially our shrimp. I noticed today that a couple of our peppermint shrimp were out and that's not like them. Then looking around more I saw that they weren't swimming well. I was able to pick them almost immediately up with my hand. I put them in my sump. Five of them! We probably have about 7 or so in there. My favorite cleaner shrimp is also acting like she can't keep still. Moving her legs all around and keeps cleaning them. She is definitely not herself! Swimming erratically :( Nothing has changed! Our numbers have been pretty consistent for months now. Just checked the nitrates-20 (have been for about 4 months now), no ammonia, no nitrites, and I will attach our Apex numbers. What could have happened?? The only thing that keeps coming to my mind is someone did something to our tank when we showed our house for sale this past Saturday. And I don't want to believe that! My fish all seem ok so far but it's just the shrimp right now. Any ideas??

Screenshot_20210420-180132_APEX Fusion.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is high (35ppt) and temp should stay between 77 and 78

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is high (35ppt) and temp should stay between 77 and 78

agree, the temp at 75.8 isn't so much the issue, yes it's on the low side but not dangerous but from the graph it looks like at one point it was much lower.

Might have nothing to do with the salinity or temp but it's a game of discounting the obvious and see what is left, which could be the issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
can be a pre-molt or breeding behavior as with peppermint shrimp, these shrimp exhibit a very high activity level, swimming in a racetrack manner around the tank. Once breeding and hatching is complete the mother shrimp will exit its exoskeleton even as another shrimp is right on top of it waiting for its chance to mate by grabbing the soft-bodied “female phase” shrimp and contacting it crossways from underneath. As simultaneous hermaphrodites, these very same two shrimp may have their male/female roles reversed.
It is proposed that some levels are causing this. You are actually in safe range for these shrimp.
They require iodine in their water for their ectoskeletons.

Ranges:

pH : 8.1 - 8.4

Temperature : 75°F - 82°F (25°C - 28°C)

Specific Gravity : 1.023 - 1.026

Carbonate Hardness (dKH) : 8 - 12°

OP
OP
MaxtheCat

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temps have been pretty consistent around 75. The graph shows that the lowest it got was 75.3. That's what the bottom number means on the graph. High of 75.8, low of 75.3. They have been here since almost starting this tank March of last year so everyone is used to it.

We have had the peppermints for about 5 or 6 months now and all were just about adult size when we brought them home. Nobody has died, but I put the peppermint in my sump to watch them and they seem to be eating in there. My cleaner shrimp is acting the most unusual and being extra fidgety. She is moving much more than usual. Everyone has molted before and I find exoskeletons often. But, I don't test for or add iodine so will look into that.

We have an auto water change to replace 4 gallons of water per day. Wouldn't that really help keep levels good for everyone? I tested the TDS of the r/o just in case there was copper and it tested at 0. Everything has been pretty consistent for months now! Found out that the salinity had been slowly rising over time because this batch of new saltwater must not have mixed as quickly as the Tropic Marin we had been using. I think he tested the salinity after mixing it in the 55 gallon drum and then didn't again after that. We made the salinity in the drum to 1.025 hoping it will bring the salinity back down sloooooooowly with the auto water changes?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are all doing this because they are molting, SO HELP ME GOD, I'm jumping off a cliff
Sorry if I missed it but is your alk stable?
Mine has done the shaking thing the odd time previously, I now managed to keep my alk stable and noticed the shrimp look a lot different to how it normally looks before a molt, it’s shell became very red and blotchy, it’s feelers had red lines across them, just thinking it may be an alk thing?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many who think that running iodide in the 0.03-0.06 range helps shrimps to molt in addition to be beneficial to softies in general.

Thats assuming molt is what’s going on.

Mine only “shake” when casting off the eggs, which might be every two weeks or so.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i keep 4 peppermint and 3 cleaners.
I do see them more active at times and more “lazy” at times. Don’t know why lol.

I keep them in a softie tank- and to be honest that tank I only test once a month- and they do fine.

but I did notice when I started dose iodine (1/2 recommended dose since I can’t test for it) the shrimp and also zoas seemed to improve. I see a mult from the shrimp more often- once I started dosing-

just food for thought.

side note- this tank had a drop in dkh to 5.5- (before I realized) but shrimp were fine.

sainity/temp has been stable.

just wanted to share my experience. I don’t think dkh it a huge factor with the shrimp. But I could be wrong.
Good luck and happy reefing!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think dkh it a huge factor with the shrimp. But I could be wrong.
Good luck and happy reefing!
I’ve wondered how shrimp make their new shells?
Anyone know if it’s mainly from food or the water?
I’m thinking it would be the water?

Back