Shrimp Cycling + Filtration Questions

calimel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus (my family had tanks when I was a teen). 20 years later, a lot has changed! We used to cycle with damsels, now that’s frowned upon. I just set up a 29g 1 week ago, with an Aqua Clear 50 HOB filter, hyydor Powerhead, and a mix of dry and live rock. To kick off the cycle, I added Fritz’s Turbo Start and also a shrimp (from my local seafood counter) for 3 days. Ammonia and nitrites are up. After removing the Decaying shrimp, do I now need to add another so the bacteria have something to feed on...or just let nature take its course? Also, is it advisable to purchase a canister filter for a tank this small? Thanks!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!!! I ran my 55 gallon with a hob filter for the first year before I went with a sump you should be fine with a hob. I would test ammonia daily and see if it drops. And go from there.

OP
OP
calimel

calimel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!!! I ran my 55 gallon with a hob filter for the first year before I went with a sump you should be fine with a hob. I would test ammonia daily and see if it drops. And go from there.
Thanks! What made you switch to a sump?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What made you switch to a sump?
I ordered a apex and trident and was sick of seeing all the equipment in my main display tank, much cleaner look. Have tons more room for equipment now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back