0   0   0
There's no other thread to post these kind of things:D

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so this seems to be the IT place for all things shrooms and shroom knowledge... Library of Alexandria of shrooms...

That said, I can't for the life of me get any of my shrooms to grow either in size from their purchase frag size or split etc... like they are alive but not thriving. My parameters are fine (torches, zoas and acros grow well) so I'm thinking it's most likely flow or light. I do run dirty/heavy nutrients. Is your tank literally like no flow to promote growth? What's the trick here?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this seems to be the IT place for all things shrooms and shroom knowledge... Library of Alexandria of shrooms...

That said, I can't for the life of me get any of my shrooms to grow either in size from their purchase frag size or split etc... like they are alive but not thriving. My parameters are fine (torches, zoas and acros grow well) so I'm thinking it's most likely flow or light. I do run dirty/heavy nutrients. Is your tank literally like no flow to promote growth? What's the trick here?
Ill chime in see if I can get you some help granted I'm not as good at shrooming as @LRT but i've got a few tricks up my sleeve. Ive found that almost no flow near stagnant water does help for a period of time (several months) but then the shrooms began to go down hill. When you say dirty/heavy nutrients what do you mean? High to me is is 50+ no3 and nearing 1ppm po4. Generally I don't care about high phosphates in a softie tank because they don't really inhibit growth due to there being no skeletal structure. As far as I can tell this is true. High phosphate will promote zooxanthellae in coral and should boost growth rates. Have you ever seen lps with huge polyps but refuses to grow? Probably due to high po4, high phosphate inhibits calcification of the corals skeletal structure.

It can be difficult to keep a mixed reef at times theres alot more going on than flow and the amount of light. But id suggest very little to almost no flow for a period of time and moderate amounts of light (maybe play with your photoperid). Ive found acros thrive in a very stable environment. Where as mushroom like things changed up every so often.

When you say your mushrooms arnt growing id like to ask how much time have you given them? Have you tried things like a large water change (40%)? For whatever reason when I do one I'll get my mushrooms to split. Many people say it drives they're nems to split aswell. I guess these are just a few thought/ideas but like I said I'm no @LRT !!!

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ill chime in see if I can get you some help granted I'm not as good at shrooming as @LRT but i've got a few tricks up my sleeve. Ive found that almost no flow near stagnant water does help for a period of time (several months) but then the shrooms began to go down hill. When you say dirty/heavy nutrients what do you mean? High to me is is 50+ no3 and nearing 1ppm po4. Generally I don't care about high phosphates in a softie tank because they don't really inhibit growth due to there being no skeletal structure. As far as I can tell this is true. High phosphate will promote zooxanthellae in coral and should boost growth rates. Have you ever seen lps with huge polyps but refuses to grow? Probably due to high po4, high phosphate inhibits calcification of the corals skeletal structure.

It can be difficult to keep a mixed reef at times theres alot more going on than flow and the amount of light. But id suggest very little to almost no flow for a period of time and moderate amounts of light (maybe play with your photoperid). Ive found acros thrive in a very stable environment. Where as mushroom like things changed up every so often.

When you say your mushrooms arnt growing id like to ask how much time have you given them? Have you tried things like a large water change (40%)? For whatever reason when I do one I'll get my mushrooms to split. Many people say it drives they're nems to split aswell. I guess these are just a few thought/ideas but like I said I'm no @LRT !!!

Thank you... I'll give that a shot. I've had a mythical bounce eclutus for close to a year now and it looks the same as when I got it. Probably the size of a quarter? Same with a jawbreaker. Some other shrooms I've lost... I had a reeftide joker bounce I lost, a tsa infinity gauntlet I lost... etc

Last I check my phosphate was 55. On a hanna (I used reefroids like 2x a week and red sea ab+, also acropower) I've also used benepets etc. I'll check again tomorrow and update you on the latest parameters.

I do have two xr15s over the tank (9" over the water?) It's the BRS recommended settings over a 48" tank. Think it's the AB schedule. I do have a par meter if you want the exact par...

Thank you.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys sorry for my long absence here lately. Really miss chatting it up and keeping in touch with my peeps and going to try and do my best to keep thread updated moving forward. Really not sure where to start lol. Real work life crept up, had to smash out some schooling, lil man met a girl and kind of lost his mind for a bit and working on him.
For the most part I've pretty much totally abandoned my reef. Walked in to fish room the other day for first time in not sure how long. Mama been holding it down through it all though.
Getting ready for a move and another crazy upgrade and want to make sure I document that for my crazy reef geek friends here.
Otherwise enjoy. I'll try and snap better pictures. Still feeling bad and need to get some bonding time in with my critters. Lil clown is almost bigger than big clown now. They really missed me. Powder brown is doing cartwheels when he sees me haha. Gmk is literally nearly growing out tank at this point. Tried to grab a shot of @SBB Corals crazy shroom corner.
Some pics for now lol..
20220924_093647.jpg
20220924_093624.jpg
20220924_093618.jpg
20220924_093609.jpg

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back @LRT we missed this, good luck with the move I can't wait to see the new tank.

• Hugs
Reactions: LRT
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back @LRT we missed this, good luck with the move I can't wait to see the new tank.
Thank you:) Really looking forward to upcoming move and upgrade. Not sure how big I'm going but do have the wife talked into going all in if you will. Fully automated to make reef life a little more enjoyable and less like work. Work time I don't have right now as it is lol.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to share something really cool that we came across in some of our journeys recently.
Really puts things in perspective when you can leave the desert, drive hour and a half away, find a nice little camping spot cliff side and look down on the ledge your standing on and find sea shells, coral skeletons and what appears to be an ancient reef at your feet. All this had to be under water at some point:)
We also found a nice little crop of turkey tail "shrooms" to come back for in a cpl months:)
20220730_143639.jpg
20220730_142946.jpg
20220730_142946.jpg
20220730_143002.jpg
20220730_162256.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was in fish room and snagged some pix. Glass dirty, GMK growing all over back wall. Those things still worth anything? Lol Bunch of the old school killers are dropping babies now. Tank does way better when I leave it alone lol
20220927_183003.jpg
20220927_182955.jpg
20220927_182939.jpg
20220927_182928.jpg
20220927_182912.jpg
20220927_182906.jpg
20220927_182846.jpg
20220924_093647.jpg

DB402020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take some GMK's :).Your mushroom collection is insane dude. Jealous.

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang son! Looking great.

Gmk have halved in price in the last year. Probably time to get to snippin and shippin.
Seems like most corals have, which makes sense because prices and demand were highest when people were stuck at home spending their stimulus on corals, but now in a recession it is so much harder for everyone to afford designer corals.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like most corals have, which makes sense because prices and demand were highest when people were stuck at home spending their stimulus on corals, but now in a recession it is so much harder for everyone to afford designer corals.
I've only been out of the Buying game for like... 6 weeks and I didn't see that to be right, at that time.

The high price points have shifted. Everything bounce mushrooms gave way to high gold Indo torches. Those are now coming in mariculture and prices halved, while open brain corals have tripled. Acantho, cynarina, Scoly, Trachys all multiples in price in two years.

All that to say, I don't see prices have come down overall. Just shifted focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back