Sick Achilles tang

WaheedNaidoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guy, I really need some help, I have my Achilles for 2 months now and he has broken out with a really bad case or either Ich or Velvet I am not sure, I noticed it Yesterday and started a Formulin treatment however it’s worse today, he stopped eating this morning, I did a freshwater dip on him to see if anything came off him however his clean, I am not sure if Formulin is going to work because it’s pretty bad and the rest of the fish in my quarantine are starting to show signs of the same, should I continue with the formulin or stop and switch to a Cupramine, if show what’s a safe way to get the formulin out of the system that’s quick.
Thanks

OP
OP
W

WaheedNaidoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13E44CBD-607F-4911-8991-0B75B4283100.png

OP
OP
W

WaheedNaidoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guy, I really need some help, I have my Achilles for 2 months now and he has broken out with a really bad case or either Ich or Velvet I am not sure, I noticed it Yesterday and started a Formulin treatment however it’s worse today, he stopped eating this morning, I did a freshwater dip on him to see if anything came off him however his clean, I am not sure if Formulin is going to work because it’s pretty bad and the rest of the fish in my quarantine are starting to show signs of the same, should I continue with the formulin or stop and switch to a Cupramine, if show what’s a safe way to get the formulin out of the system that’s quick.
Thanks
Treatment is Formulin (Formaldehyde 37%)
Tank is around 80l, doing 2ml every second day with a 50% water change.
At the time of this message we on the second dose.
Salinity 1.026
Temp 25 degrees Celsius

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just woke up.
Video above now works,will tag @jayhemdal as he expert and i never medicated any saltwater fish.
What i read is if can count the small white dots then its usually ich if to many to count then velvet,but other signs like swimming into current and loss off apetite etc

Carbon is usually a good way of removing medications and off course water changes but again will leave for experts to advise you.
Wish you good luck.

Btw whats all them dots on the tank wall? Is it trapped air bubbles

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment is Formulin (Formaldehyde 37%)
Tank is around 80l, doing 2ml every second day with a 50% water change.
At the time of this message we on the second dose.
Salinity 1.026
Temp 25 degrees Celsius
Hi,

Sorry - I just woke up. This looks to be a severe case of Cryptocaryon, marine ich. Achilles tangs are know for this. Formalin is not the preferred treatment, and the dose you are using would need to be done daily, with water changes.

Here is the issue: switching to copper would be the best course of action, however, copper takes three days to start to work, and this fish may not have three days. Knowing that the chances are slim, here is what I would do: change 50% of the water, taking care to siphon the bottom of the tank all over (to remove excess ich tomonts). Then, change 50% of the water again. Then, using a good copper test kit and add Cupramine, add a half dose, wait a couple of hours, measure the copper to ensure you are at a half dose, then add the amount needed to get to a full dose. Then, test copper and ammonia every day. However, if you added formalin in the last 12 hours, you may need to change 100% of the water total, as formalin reacts with Cupramine.

Jay

OP
OP
W

WaheedNaidoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Sorry - I just woke up. This looks to be a severe case of Cryptocaryon, marine ich. Achilles tangs are know for this. Formalin is not the preferred treatment, and the dose you are using would need to be done daily, with water changes.

Here is the issue: switching to copper would be the best course of action, however, copper takes three days to start to work, and this fish may not have three days. Knowing that the chances are slim, here is what I would do: change 50% of the water, taking care to siphon the bottom of the tank all over (to remove excess ich tomonts). Then, change 50% of the water again. Then, using a good copper test kit and add Cupramine, add a half dose, wait a couple of hours, measure the copper to ensure you are at a half dose, then add the amount needed to get to a full dose. Then, test copper and ammonia every day. However, if you added formalin in the last 12 hours, you may need to change 100% of the water total, as formalin reacts with Cupramine.

Jay
Thank you so much Jay, i broke down the qt and did a clean of the entire tank with RO water and did a 100% water change, I’ve gotten the copper up to 0.3ppm, now I guess all I can do is hope and pray

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Jay, i broke down the qt and did a clean of the entire tank with RO water and did a 100% water change, I’ve gotten the copper up to 0.3ppm, now I guess all I can do is hope and pray

That sounds good - but a full dose of Cupramine is 0.50 ppm, so you need to get to that level ASAP.

Jay

OP
OP
W

WaheedNaidoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good - but a full dose of Cupramine is 0.50 ppm, so you need to get to that level ASAP.
Hi Jay,

I managed to get the copper levels up to 0.5ppm a few hours later, unfortunately I came to check up on him this morning and he didn’t make it through the night. Thank you so much for all the help and the advise, if you don’t mind I’d like to reach out to you in a few months time on the best way to qt an Achilles tang when I try again, my heart to broken because I managed to save him previous through a Fluke outbreak. Thanks to everyone who put comments, I appreciate the help.

R2R is the Best

Back