Sick Annularis Angelfish?

aznb1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have had this Annularis Angelfish for some time now but have noticed it has been acting a little off. He usually will demolish some food, but lately hasn’t had a appetite at all. I am wondering if it has caught a disease or parasite and would like to treat it if that is the case.

It is normally an active swimmer but is swimming very slowly from rock to rock. He doesn’t seem to be breathing heavy or have any marks, or show signs of ick or velvet, but I have never experienced it with an angelfish before so wouldn’t know what signs to look for. I will say he does still look fine physically but he mood seems off.

Some things to note:
-water parameters are just fine

-I have been trying new foods and adding supplements such as garlic to their food recently as last week. So that could be what is affecting his behavior

-I just recently added a new live rock which I dipped with Seachem Reef Dip before adding it to the display tank. (Only did this because an anemone was attached to the rock when purchased. So I decided to dip the rock and add it to my DT).... this is how I think he could have caught something if he did

-I also added 2 more fish into the tank but can’t see how it would stress it out any since the angel is by far the largest in the tank. Both fish got a FW dip and went into my display and they both seem to be doing very well. So I don’t think they could have transferred anything over.

If anyone has any thought or input I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the bad videos. He is very hard to get a picture or video of.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.MOV
    46 MB
  • IMG_0228.MOV
    74.6 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I have had this Annularis Angelfish for some time now but have noticed it has been acting a little off. He usually will demolish some food, but lately hasn’t had a appetite at all. I am wondering if it has caught a disease or parasite and would like to treat it if that is the case.

It is normally an active swimmer but is swimming very slowly from rock to rock. He doesn’t seem to be breathing heavy or have any marks, or show signs of ick or velvet, but I have never experienced it with an angelfish before so wouldn’t know what signs to look for. I will say he does still look fine physically but he mood seems off.

Some things to note:
-water parameters are just fine

-I have been trying new foods and adding supplements such as garlic to their food recently as last week. So that could be what is affecting his behavior

-I just recently added a new live rock which I dipped with Seachem Reef Dip before adding it to the display tank. (Only did this because an anemone was attached to the rock when purchased. So I decided to dip the rock and add it to my DT).... this is how I think he could have caught something if he did

-I also added 2 more fish into the tank but can’t see how it would stress it out any since the angel is by far the largest in the tank. Both fish got a FW dip and went into my display and they both seem to be doing very well. So I don’t think they could have transferred anything over.

If anyone has any thought or input I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the bad videos. He is very hard to get a picture or video of.
I cant see the Movie - I would be concerned about disease - given the new additions. You have made a couple changes so its hard to say 'its A or B'. I might suggest going back to the food you were feeding before - and watch very carefully for any disease symptoms. Hopefully - with time - it will either improve - or things will become more clear. PS - I have seen 'odd behavior' when I have just added new fish - so it may be just that?

OP
OP
A

aznb1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another movie I have attached. Liked I said physically he seems fine, but just odd behavior. I am hoping for the best.

Attachments

• 63287400955__DA82D81B-3016-4EB3-9A67-7D45F7088474.MOV
    2.5 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is another movie I have attached. Liked I said physically he seems fine, but just odd behavior. I am hoping for the best.
Unfortunately (at least on my Mac) - videos arent visible with safari. Can you describe what it is doing?

OP
OP
A

aznb1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be laying a little more sideways vs upright and is not as forthcoming as he used to be. He would always be the first to eat and usually come out from the rocks when someone comes up to the glass as he was probably the most curious. Now he is just chilling underneath the rock work not doing much swimming at all.

The reason I am so concerned is because I do not have as much experience with a large angelfish as this one. He was gifted to me as an adult and I have had him for a few months now no problem but all of a sudden he has stopped eating. And usually with saltwater fish I have always gone with the assumption if they don’t eat something is wrong. That is why I have so much concern for the fish. I may be over exaggerating if the angelfish is usually that picky or finicky as I am not used to these personality behaviors from saltwater fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess - is that he may have a parasite - due to the addition of 2 new fish (especially if just added) - I'll tag the reefsquad - to see if they can give any advice/insight - do you see any spots - or cloudiness of the fins? When were the other fish added?

@ReefSquad #reefsquad @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see much in the videos - the fish is acting pretty shy, but that may just be a function of you trying to get it on camera.

Just an FYI - single dips of fish, or of LR/coral when moving them from one tank to another only limit, but do not eliminate parasites. It's estimated that a FW dip removes 90% or so of the parasites on a fish at the time, but the remaining 10% get carried over and can easily start the disease back up again.

The big issue here is Neobenedenia. This fluke has eggs that take up to 30 days to hatch, and are resistant to FW and chemical dips. All it takes is one viable egg and the fluke can infect your fish. To make matters worse, the eggs have sticky tendrils, so they hook onto rocks, coral and even fish nets moving things from tank to tank.

I don't see the classic frayed fins and cloudy eyes that people see with later stage Neo, but it may just be getting started. Annularis are notorious for being susceptible to it; along with pyramid butterflyfish, lookdowns and a few others - but most fish can catch it.

Catching that fish would be a chore, but a FW diagnostic dip is the way to find out if it has Neo. You dip the fish, then look at the bottom of the dip container for dead flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
A

aznb1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 i just recently added a Naso and a purple tang. Purple I added about 2-3 weeks ago. The Naso I added last week. Both fish seem to be pretty healthy. They both came in a little rough from shipping but have made a speedy recovery and are both doing really well.
If it is a parasite what would I need to look for as far as medications? Would a simple copper treatment be suffice in a Qt tank? I don’t see any damage to the fins or any cloudyness. He actually still looks very healthy. He is just not eating which is why I am so confused. He has not eaten for about 2 days now. Even when I try to give him his old food I used to give

@Jay Hemdal that is what I am trying to figure out. This is my first angel of this species and I don’t know if it’s a personality trait or not with these fish or if it’s something that could actually be wrong. I can definitely catch him and do a FW dip if it’s necessary, I just wanted to hear people’s input first and see which direction to go in.

OP
OP
A

aznb1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also note I have seen random head shakes. Not very often. Very seldom but something I have noticed with his behavior.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MnFish1 i just recently added a Naso and a purple tang. Purple I added about 2-3 weeks ago. The Naso I added last week. Both fish seem to be pretty healthy. They both came in a little rough from shipping but have made a speedy recovery and are both doing really well.
If it is a parasite what would I need to look for as far as medications? Would a simple copper treatment be suffice in a Qt tank? I don’t see any damage to the fins or any cloudyness. He actually still looks very healthy. He is just not eating which is why I am so confused. He has not eaten for about 2 days now. Even when I try to give him his old food I used to give

@Jay Hemdal that is what I am trying to figure out. This is my first angel of this species and I don’t know if it’s a personality trait or not with these fish or if it’s something that could actually be wrong. I can definitely catch him and do a FW dip if it’s necessary, I just wanted to hear people’s input first and see which direction to go in.
Since @Jay Hemdal is already giving his opinion I will let him continue - its always 'odd' when you add new fish - sometimes behavior is because of the new fish - sometimes its a disease...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also note I have seen random head shakes. Not very often. Very seldom but something I have noticed with his behavior.
Head shakes could be a reaction to flukes, but can also be a threat reaction to other fish.
The fish has good body mass, it can go some time without food. You could wait another day or two to see if any more definitive symptoms develop. What about trying live clams or mussels on the half shell?
A FW dip can help show flukes, but handling the fish is going to stress it more.
Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back