Sick clown fish need help diagnosing and course of action

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a spot on the clown fish yesterday but he was acting fine so didn’t think much of it. Today it looks like he is breathing fast, notice a couple more spots on the tail and side fins, and now he won’t eat. Attaching video link.
https://youtube.com/shorts/i1zQ_jKyY2U?feature=share
I haven’t introduced anything since early December and just started a seperate invert and coral QT tank so my fishes wouldn’t get sick . Need to know how to help him please!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a 10 gallon with HOB and heater.. could use some advise on how to get that properly going as well. DT water? Fresh saltwater? Media? I purchased some bio spira should I just toss that in?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed a spot on the clown fish yesterday but he was acting fine so didn’t think much of it. Today it looks like he is breathing fast, notice a couple more spots on the tail and side fins, and now he won’t eat. Attaching video link.
I haven’t introduced anything since early December and just started a seperate invert and coral QT tank so my fishes wouldn’t get sick . Need to know how to help him please!
Firstly, tank looks nice
I have a hard time following fish in motion
Does it act lethargic, has it stopped or slowed down with feeding and does the skin appear milky or hazy mainly at the facial area?
What is your ammonia-ph- salinity and water temperature?
WHAT TEST KITS ARE YOU USING?

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is just hanging out in the back towards the top of the tank. Breathing rapidly. I think he ate last night but definitely didn’t eat this afternoon. He came over to the food but then showed no interest. Nothing looks hazy or milky. Just one spot on his body and a couple on his fins. Ph ammonia and nitrite test results are attached. They are API and the salinity is 1.025 using a refractometer

Attachments

• 9982DF9A-D9DF-46E7-AB05-67625248BD0D.jpeg
    9982DF9A-D9DF-46E7-AB05-67625248BD0D.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 36

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in with this clown?
Are they showing any symptoms?

The rapid breathing points towards velvet, but not if other fish in the tank are fine. This fish seems a bit bloated - either it is very well fed, or it could have an internal bacterial infection.

Jay

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in with this clown?
Are they showing any symptoms?

The rapid breathing points towards velvet, but not if other fish in the tank are fine. This fish seems a bit bloated - either it is very well fed, or it could have an internal bacterial infection.

Jay
There is another clown, watchman goby, lawnmower blenny, royal gamma, and cardinal. None of the other fish show any symptoms. I do feed a decent amount so I would consider him well fed but something is definitely not right with him today he is acting like he is stuggling to swim and the breathing, And he does have a few white specs. One on body and a couple on fins

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is another clown, watchman goby, lawnmower blenny, royal gamma, and cardinal. None of the other fish show any symptoms. I do feed a decent amount so I would consider him well fed but something is definitely not right with him today he is acting like he is stuggling to swim and the breathing, And he does have a few white specs. One on body and a couple on fins
I’m not too worried about the spots. The rapid breathing and not eating are the really critical issues. If the other fish are all fine, it might be an acute kidney infection on this one clown - but that isn’t treatable.
I wonder - could you post a short video of the other clown? I just want to see if it may have some early symptoms….
Jay

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too worried about the spots. The rapid breathing and not eating are the really critical issues. If the other fish are all fine, it might be an acute kidney infection on this one clown - but that isn’t treatable.
I wonder - could you post a short video of the other clown? I just want to see if it may have some early symptoms….
Jay
https://youtube.com/shorts/6UudUxb86UQ?feature=share

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the critical condition clown, Would it be worth a try to do a freshwater dip and put him in the hospital tank to monitor more closely? Or is it better to just monitor him in the DT and not stress him out? Are there any vitamins/treatments I can try to rule out other possible causes? I just feel so awful for him.
Also my husband is going to kill me for talking him into buying another fish tank, to save a fish that might not even be treatable. ;Nailbiting

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the critical condition clown, Would it be worth a try to do a freshwater dip and put him in the hospital tank to monitor more closely? Or is it better to just monitor him in the DT and not stress him out? Are there any vitamins/treatments I can try to rule out other possible causes? I just feel so awful for him.
Also my husband is going to kill me for talking him into buying another fish tank, to save a fish that might not even be treatable. ;Nailbiting
A freshwater dip will offer temporary relief but not a gfix. A 45 minute dip in formalin based med such as quick cure often puts them in a sense of healing as would a 90 minute bath in Ruby Rally Pro. I like the ruby rally as it covers an array of health issues, not just brook or gram negative bacterial

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip will offer temporary relief but not a gfix. A 45 minute dip in formalin based med such as quick cure often puts them in a sense of healing as would a 90 minute bath in Ruby Rally Pro. I like the ruby rally as it covers an array of health issues, not just brook or gram negative bacterial
I look into those. Do they go in a QT for that?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I look into those. Do they go in a QT for that?
Quick cure/formalin - yes
Ruby rally pro- start with a 90 minute bath in bucket with airstone and you can use in display tank as it is reef safe

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick cure/formalin - yes
Ruby rally pro- start with a 90 minute bath in bucket with airstone and you can use in display tank as it is reef safe
I ordered some of the Ruby rally, just to do something at this point. It won’t be here until Sunday though. Should I do freshwater dips daily? Or is that too much?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back