Sick clown fish need help diagnosing and course of action

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some of the Ruby rally, just to do something at this point. It won’t be here until Sunday though. Should I do freshwater dips daily? Or is that too much?

Too much imo to be doing that daily.

This is my fav dip as fish seem to handle it well...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the critical condition clown, Would it be worth a try to do a freshwater dip and put him in the hospital tank to monitor more closely? Or is it better to just monitor him in the DT and not stress him out? Are there any vitamins/treatments I can try to rule out other possible causes? I just feel so awful for him.
Also my husband is going to kill me for talking him into buying another fish tank, to save a fish that might not even be treatable. ;Nailbiting
The other clown is kind of a chunky monkey as well, so the bloating angle is moot. I’d try the dip, but don’t expect immediate improvement, it may take a day or two.
Jay

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other clown is kind of a chunky monkey as well, so the bloating angle is moot. I’d try the dip, but don’t expect immediate improvement, it may take a day or two.
Jay
Thanks jay. I notice that the other clown breathing picked up as well. But maybe I’m just being paranoid? I’ve got the hospital tank cycling tonight while they both stay in the DT and I’ll evaluate in the AM. I guess I’m kind of at loss, since I haven’t added anything since December 5th and that fish is fine. Wouldn’t I have seen something before then? :(

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much imo to be doing that daily.

This is my fav dip as fish seem to handle it well...

Thanks! I read about this.. TBH I’m just nervous of doing something wrong with these dips and hurt them more than if there isn’t a clear sign of distress. I kind of feel like it’s lose lose. If I do the dip and they don’t make it, I’ll think it was my fault for doing it wrong, but if I don’t, and they get worse and don’t make it, then it will be my fault too :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I read about this.. TBH I’m just nervous of doing something wrong with these dips and hurt them more than if there isn’t a clear sign of distress. I kind of feel like it’s lose lose. If I do the dip and they don’t make it, I’ll think it was my fault for doing it wrong, but if I don’t, and they get worse and don’t make it, then it will be my fault too :(

My rationale is this: a healthy fish will always survive a properly done FW dip. If a fish dies after a dip, it was going to die soon anyway unless treated, and you don't know what to treat for here. I use dips as a diagnostic tool and to buy some time.

Jay

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rationale is this: a healthy fish will always survive a properly done FW dip. If a fish dies after a dip, it was going to die soon anyway unless treated, and you don't know what to treat for here. I use dips as a diagnostic tool and to buy some time.

Jay
T
Thanks jay. This morning his breathing seems more normal from what I can tell under the blues but I have seen him “yawn” a couple times. I’m going to wait until the whites come on to check for sure and offer a little food. I have a few questions I’ve been trying to research:

1. I tested the ph of my ro water last night to see about doing a freshwater dip. My ro ph is like 7.4 or less and my tank water is close to at 8. I tried doing a splash of tank water to buffer the ph but it didn’t do anything. I’ve read some people use baking soda to raise the ph. Is that what you would do?

2. I’ve been researching some vitamins I can add to the food to boost the immune system. Some people say garlic oil, some recommend products like vita chem or selcon. Do you recommend doing any of these or have some of your own, you would recommend?

3. what are your thoughts on the peroxide dip? It’s still considered experimental. Im waiting on Ruby rally to come on Sunday. But I don’t believe that treats Ich, if that’s what it is. I think if I understand the peroxide dip does treat ich?

4. and finally I’m a little worried about pulling this little guy out of the tank to wait it out in the hospital tank, when I don’t have a clear disease with a good course of action. That female is a witch and the previous owner told me she has a tendency to kill new additions to the tank. In your experience, will be ok adding the known clownfish back to the display or will it be adding a new fish. Obviously if a desease was super apparent, it wouldn’t even be a question. But in this scenario, if I can get him to eat, is it better to wait it out and see what or if it develops?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide dip does not treat ich. It helps with most everything else.

I am not a believer in long term use of garlic. It might help a fish that isn’t eating to try food. Selcon or fish oil is fine to dip pellets in. It doesn’t stick well to frozen. It probably won’t prevent illness on its own but can’t hurt.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the videos it doesn't seem like there's much surface agitation. Could just be a dissolved oxygen issue, epsecially if it's just a small tank with no skimmer.
Thanks for input :). I actually have everything turned off during those video in hopes to get the clearest images of the clown fish. and I do have a skimmer. Not that I think it is a super effective skimmer :). It's the coral life v2 that fits in the first chamber of the biocube. Here is a video of the flow in my tank with everything turned on. Excuse the food, I just fed them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/FPsaajLmX1M?feature=share
From the videos it doesn't seem like there's much surface agitation. Could just be a dissolved oxygen issue, epsecially if it's just a small tank with no skimmer.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the clownfish today with just the power head on after I gave them food. He did eat some. The white spots are still there and I can’t tell if I’m seeing more, or if I just wasn’t as hyper focused on them yesterday as I am today He seems to be acting ok those right?
https://youtube.com/shorts/h09-TOFKsc0?feature=share

I took some pictures yesterday and circled the ones I saw in the photos
EAF94A2D-A2A9-4F60-B017-919C24EC92DF.jpeg
0DAFD7D7-4CCF-4C3D-98A3-2A010A1BDC35.jpeg
58F54589-580E-4822-BCD0-3F295F5BBABF.jpeg

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the clownfish today with just the power head on after I gave them food. He did eat some. The white spots are still there and I can’t tell if I’m seeing more, or if I just wasn’t as hyper focused on them yesterday as I am today He seems to be acting ok those right?
https://youtube.com/shorts/h09-TOFKsc0?feature=share

I took some pictures yesterday and circled the ones I saw in the photos
EAF94A2D-A2A9-4F60-B017-919C24EC92DF.jpeg
0DAFD7D7-4CCF-4C3D-98A3-2A010A1BDC35.jpeg
58F54589-580E-4822-BCD0-3F295F5BBABF.jpeg
Aside from the one up top. The “spots” seem to be only in the clear parts of his fins

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update... the clown just ate with tonight feeding.. the breathing is still the same. I’m not sure what to think at this point. :(
I see you are using api test kits and you likely have higher numbers as API Test kits are notorious for false readings and have let down many reefers hence the very low cost for a master test kit
Change water and see if breathing slows down
I would suggest also to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use api tests and see what readings they come up with

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone that took the time to comment, suggest, provide insight while I was super concerned about my little clownfish. I received the meds I ordered and have been watching him very closely each day. Without doing any freshwater dips or medication intervention, his breathing as reduced to a normal rate, he is swimming more throughout the tank (he was mainly hanging out in the back towards the top for a few days unless it was feeding time) and all the spots that were on him have disappeared. I did add an extra feeding each day and did my regular water change on Friday. I cant say what the direct cause of him making a turnaround was but I remain hopeful that he will continue to feel better. I suspect possible Lymphocystis, maybe brought on by stress but i don't think that effects breathing. I feel silly that I now have a hospital tank running and no fish to treat. However, I learned a lot over these last several days and feel better having the various meds and knowledge on hand in case the need were to arise in the future. :)

Thanks again!

ohiomike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad that things have gone in a good direction for you. I have had my maroon clown since 2011 and I would be devastated if He was ill or in trouble.
Best of luck to you in the future,
ohiomike

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back