Sick clown fish

lone reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic I’ve had a pair of clown fish for about a year, today the larger of the 2 was very lethargic and breathing hard. I have a few other fish in the tank all quarantined and never seen a sign of parasites and haven’t added anything new to the tank in months. Other livestock
White tail tang
Firefish
Flame angel
Pair of mandarins
Black cap basslet
Alk 8.1
Salinity 35-36ppt
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 6-7
Po4 .03
All other fish seem perfectly normal
I set up a qt and added half a packet of general cure into 5 gallons of water in a 10 gallon qt. The fish swims erratically then stops lays down and breathes hard. Not sure if she’s got much time left but any help would be appreciated!

image.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish is a victim of aggression as you can see by shredding fins and heavy breathing due to stress. There are also bite marks on the fish and cloudy eyes. I would suggest quarantining the fish and treating with Ruby rally pro OR seachem Kanaplex with added aeration.

OP
OP
lone reefer

lone reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is a victim of aggression as you can see by shredding fins and heavy breathing due to stress. There are also bite marks on the fish and cloudy eyes. I would suggest quarantining the fish and treating with Ruby rally pro OR seachem Kanaplex with added aeration.
It does look like aggression, just very strange because it’s been with the same fish for a year and I’ve never seen any aggression like this. Especially towards the clown fish. The tang would chase the flame angel some when I first introduced it but that was also months ago. I’ve already got it in the qt but with general cure. Would it be best to leave it in here for 48 hours, then transfer to a new qt with kanaplex? Or go ahead and setup another qt now and transfer asap? Just wondering if moving it immediately would be a good idea because it would stress it more than it already is?

OP
OP
lone reefer

lone reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or can I just put some kanaplex in with the general cure?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic I’ve had a pair of clown fish for about a year, today the larger of the 2 was very lethargic and breathing hard. I have a few other fish in the tank all quarantined and never seen a sign of parasites and haven’t added anything new to the tank in months. Other livestock
White tail tang
Firefish
Flame angel
Pair of mandarins
Black cap basslet
Alk 8.1
Salinity 35-36ppt
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 6-7
Po4 .03
All other fish seem perfectly normal
I set up a qt and added half a packet of general cure into 5 gallons of water in a 10 gallon qt. The fish swims erratically then stops lays down and breathes hard. Not sure if she’s got much time left but any help would be appreciated!

image.jpg

+1 on there being aggression on this fish. there may be another issue at the same time though. If you return the fish to the tank, that will continue. The fish looks “shocky” in the treatment tank, not sure why….

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back