Sick clown

kmelliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established tank of 10 years. No new fish in quite awhile. I have a pair of clowns over 10 years old. One became pale and quit eating last week. A few days later he began swimming back and forth non stop at the top of the aquarium and breathing rapidly. He’s since settled back down. However he’s still not eating and breathing fast. I really just thought it might be his time as he’s quite old but now it’s been over a week and he’s still hanging in there so now I’m wondering if there is something wrong that is treatable.

image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Some additional background information would be helpful, as well as a short video of the fish. Here is a link to some information:

Just to start things off - your tank is stable, with no new fish, so that points towards some chronic age-related issue like Mycobacterium. The other fish doing well also points to a non-contagious issue. However, the rapid onset that you saw, with the partial recovery is NOT a sign of a chronic issue.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kmelliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Some additional background information would be helpful, as well as a short video of the fish. Here is a link to some information:

Just to start things off - your tank is stable, with no new fish, so that points towards some chronic age-related issue like Mycobacterium. The other fish doing well also points to a non-contagious issue. However, the rapid onset that you saw, with the partial recovery is NOT a sign of a chronic issue.

OP
OP
K

kmelliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it must be age related as well but two weeks and he’s still alive but no improvement/not eating. I feel so helpless just watching him that way.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it must be age related as well but two weeks and he’s still alive but no improvement/not eating. I feel so helpless just watching him that way.
Sorry - I think you should research Mycobacterium - that is what often is the direct cause of death for "elderly" fish. It isn't treatable though.

Jay

Back