Sick Clownfish after 2 days

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a trio of clowns when I noticed last night that one clowns fin was torn (I think it was from a sudden blast from the wave maker which is closeish to the rock work) I inspected them in the shop and they were all fine. I then took him out and placed him into the sump to let it heal. I've woken up to a massive white/grey ICH like lump between his fins below his mouth. The other 2 are fine as well as the other fish with no sign of disease or infection symptoms. I'm thinking it's stress induced because my water parameters are fine:

All: 8.7 dkh
Cal: 426ppm
Mg: 1300 ppm
Salinity: 35 ppt
Phosphate : 0.2
Nitrate: 4.25 (that's where it always sits even with water changes ect)
Ammonia : 0
Temp: 25 degrees Celsius

All my fish are peacefully, the other 2 clown and a trio of Seahorses, so there isn't any bullying

It's to large to be ICH, but there are smaller spots popping up on his body.
I'm thinking lymphocytes or Velvet. View and photos will be shared

Attachments

• VID20210117193130.mp4
    33.9 MB
OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video above Not the best video but the end is clearer

you can see the torn fins and where the lump has started

Attachments

• VID20210117200729.mp4
    4.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - that is very serious, and probably fatal. I see two issues - one is the ripped fins, probably from the other clowns fighting with it. When you move clownfish, even if they had been in the same tank at the store, you can upset their group dynamics and fighting can result. The other issue is tough to see, but it looks like raised scales and is possibly an internal fungal infection. The thing I can't resolve is why the fish would have developed that so quickly, and not shown any signs of that at the store....

With a moribund (dying fish) like this, there is always the desire to do something for it, but I've learned over the years that in cases like this, it really is fruitless to try, and euthanasia is the only course of action. I hope I'm wrong though....

Jay

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok,
Thanks for the response.
I chose the healthiest looking fish in the store and for a day or so they were all doing great. It's still a fairly new tank and I'm going to send off a water test to see if there is anything in the water that could have caused this infection.
I'm going to leave him in another tank Im about to shut down just for a day or two to see if it gets better. If it gets worse I think culling is the right option.

Thanks Jay

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and is there any risk for the fish in my system. I've been watching their swimming patterns, breathing and their scales incase it is something like ick or Velvet for a few minutes every hour.

Once again thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back