Sick Clownfish, Internal Parasite?

Catherine01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'd appreciate if I could get some help for my sick clown. I've had her for about a month now, I noticed about 2/3 days ago she's staying in the same spot in the tank, not moving around too much and not eating at all.

I've been keeping a close eye on my other clown and her as well to see if her condition worsens or improves. She has been "exploring" a bit more and moving around, but still won't eat and is generally in the same spot.

Her poop is also suspicious, which I have a picture of. The white color and lack of eating, as well as the fact all other inhabitants in the tank seem to be doing fine leads me to believe its not related to tank parameters. But, the parameters are: Salinity: 1.026, Ammonia/Nirtate: 0.

I do have a quarantine tank but it's not fully set up. I've recently purchased extra equipment for it but I don't have any cycled media ready immediately. I placed some extra filter sponges in my filter in my display tank that I can take out and use in the event something like this happens, but the sponges have only been in there like a week.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to approach this and treat her/the entire tank as well? Should I definitely move her to a QT? Would the medications effect my snails/shrimp/coral if I leave her in the display? Thanks very much.

IMG_1985.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should bind the medication to food using Focus, which makes it relatively reef-safe. Just turn off flow to feed, feed small amounts so that the fish eat nearly all - you don’t want a bunch of “leftovers” floating around. And put a bag of carbon in a high flow area for good measure.

General Cure would be my recommendation, since it treats both flagellates and intestinal worms. 2 scoops GC + 1 scoop Focus + 1 tablespoon frozen food (thawed and drained). Mix well and let sit for 20-30 mins before serving. Refrigerate leftovers, and feed for 2-3 weeks or until white stringy poop is resolved.

OP
OP
C

Catherine01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the information. I'm currently looking at where to obtain the meds you mentioned, I'm in the UK so it seems they may be a bit hard for me to find. In the meantime, if anyone knows alternatives that may be easier to find I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll hope someone around me carries what I need

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the information. I'm currently looking at where to obtain the meds you mentioned, I'm in the UK so it seems they may be a bit hard for me to find. In the meantime, if anyone knows alternatives that may be easier to find I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll hope someone around me carries what I need

What meds are a available in your area?

Looking for something with metronidazole, praziquantel, and/or fenbendazole preferably.

I believe @Humblefish spent some time in the UK, I would send him a pm and see if he has any recommendations.

OP
OP
C

Catherine01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I messaged a couple LFS, they mention they have some medications from "nt labs" medication as well as "Waterlife Sterazin" or "prazipro". I haven't been able to actually go to the store and look as of yet but those are the brands they gave me. Thanks as well for the extra information, I'll keep that in mind

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is praziquantel, but is in liquid form so might be a little more difficult to soak properly. That would address intestinal worms, but not internal flagellates.

OP
OP
C

Catherine01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, this is one of the brands the LFS says they have, not sure if the product is the exact one they stock, but it seems to fit what I need: https://www.ntlabs.co.uk/browse-products/indoor/marine/anti-fluke-wormer/ It has fenbendazole in it as you mentioned. Do you think this would be suitable? Unfortunately it appears to be harmful to inverts so I'd have to move the clown over to the QT.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually flubendazole not fenbendazole, but it’s still a veterinary dewormer- so should hopefully help! I put a message in to humble as well, to see if he has any other recommendations.

OP
OP
C

Catherine01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops haha :D my mistake! I do hope it helps, I'll see if this is the same product the LFS has, if not I'll just have to get something else and see if it works. Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep an eye out as well for more recommendations

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

Catherine01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! This information has been really helpful, I was able to find some of the meds mentioned on Amazon and ordered them. Luckily today shes seems to be doing much better and has an interest in food + is moving around the tank

Back