Sick Clownfish not sure how to treat...

catballew68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what’s wrong with my clown. He has not eaten for four days and just floats at the top of the tank and does not swim like his partner much.
This seemed to time with adding a peppermint shrimp, who I have not seen since I put the tiny little guy in there, a pincushion urchin, and 5 small cerith snails. I also fed the tank with copepods and nano brine, all came from algae barn.
I feed frozen brine shrimp and Omni flakes, his partner clown is fine as well as well as my Gobi.
I tried soaking shrimp in garlic today and still not eating.
All my Params are normal.
Ph 7.8
NH3/nh4 0 ppm
NO 2 0 ppm
N03 0 ppm
Using carbon biocube filter
ChemiPure
SG 1.021
For treatment what I have done so far is: a freshwater dip and moved him to a hospital tank, I am not sure what is wrong with him so I don't know if I should treat with copper or an antibiotic.
Can anyone advise?
the videos where other fish are there were before I moved him to hospital tank. That is the most current video.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The videos seem to show the fish having an external parasite of some sort...rapid breathing, cloudy fins, and spots. The trouble is, in most cases, the other fish (especially the other clownfish) would be showing similar symptoms.

How long of a freshwater dip did you do?
Do you have copper and a test kit?

Make sure there is good aeration in both tanks - just to support easier respiration.

Jay

OP
OP
C

catballew68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The videos seem to show the fish having an external parasite of some sort...rapid breathing, cloudy fins, and spots. The trouble is, in most cases, the other fish (especially the other clownfish) would be showing similar symptoms.

How long of a freshwater dip did you do?
Do you have copper and a test kit?

Make sure there is good aeration in both tanks - just to support easier respiration.

Jay
Have really excellent airaition. I habe cuppramine, can get copper test kit tomorrow. I’m pretty sure at this point he’s not going to make it but I’ll treat with copper tonight and see if he pulls through.

OP
OP
C

catballew68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed last night in the hospital tank with copper, and he seems to still be hanging on. I really did not think the little guy was going to make it through the night. It’s hard to tell but he looks like he may be breathing a bit less labored this morning.
So, if there are parasites in my display tank, what should I do?

I have the female clown and a Goby in there, along with 1 Duncan Coral, 2 turbo snails, 5 cerith snails, a pincushion urchin, and a fighting conch… and possibly a peppermint shrimp if the Goby didn’t eat him… still have not seen it since I put it in there.

please advise.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed last night in the hospital tank with copper, and he seems to still be hanging on. I really did not think the little guy was going to make it through the night. It’s hard to tell but he looks like he may be breathing a bit less labored this morning.
So, if there are parasites in my display tank, what should I do?

I have the female clown and a Goby in there, along with 1 Duncan Coral, 2 turbo snails, 5 cerith snails, a pincushion urchin, and a fighting conch… and possibly a peppermint shrimp if the Goby didn’t eat him… still have not seen it since I put it in there.

please advise.
Copper can take up to 72 hours before it really begins to work, so fingers crossed!
I guess I would just wait and see if the other fish develop symptoms and then move them into the QT as well.
Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%

Back