Sick Clownfish - very rapid progression

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clownfish appeared perfectly fine yesterday, swimming normally with its mate.

Noticed this morning that it is sitting in the opposite corner on the bottom breathing rapidly.
It has some type of injury to it's anal area.
I'm don't know if this is due to attack by another fish, or some internal problem.

The other fish are all well, and there is never any agression in the tank.
Tank Mates are a Foxface Robbitfish, Scopas Tang, Stocky Anthias, Blue Chromis, plus random shirmps and snails.
Tank chemistry is normal.

Whatever happened the fish

seems to be rapidly deteriorating

Pix below.

IMG_3293.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This clownfish appeared perfectly fine yesterday, swimming normally with its mate.

Noticed this morning that it is sitting in the opposite corner on the bottom breathing rapidly.
It has some type of injury to it's anal area.
I'm don't know if this is due to attack by another fish, or some internal problem.

The other fish are all well, and there is never any agression in the tank.
Tank Mates are a Foxface Robbitfish, Scopas Tang, Stocky Anthias, Blue Chromis, plus random shirmps and snails.
Tank chemistry is normal.

Whatever happened the fish

seems to be rapidly deteriorating

Pix below.

IMG_3293.jpeg
This clown has what is known as rectal prolapse and may be due to constipation especially if feeding dry foods exclusively especially pellets
You can if fish is eating feed it brine shrimp that may act as a laxative and also adding seachem metroplex to the foods at .5pm weight - tiny amounts to the foods in the event of any internal issues

OP
OP
gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clown has what is known as rectal prolapse and may be due to constipation especially if feeding dry foods exclusively especially pellets
You can if fish is eating feed it brine shrimp that may act as a laxative and also adding seachem metroplex to the foods at .5pm weight - tiny amounts to the foods in the event of any internal issues
Thanks,

The fish are fed dry pellets twice a day automagially, but dinner is alway a mix of frozen mysis and brine shirmp.

Metroplex is not available at LFS here, but I can get human equivalent which is a tablet of 400mg metronidazole.
I think a quarter tablet would be equivavlent to a 125mg scoop of metroplex.

Not sure what you mean .5pm weight?

Thanks again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this fish has a massive internal infection, possibly due to a prolapse. The trouble is, the intestines seem to be affected. If so, I’m afraid there isn’t anything you will be able to do for this fish, sorry.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks,

The fish are fed dry pellets twice a day automagially, but dinner is alway a mix of frozen mysis and brine shirmp.

Metroplex is not available at LFS here, but I can get human equivalent which is a tablet of 400mg metronidazole.
I think a quarter tablet would be equivavlent to a 125mg scoop of metroplex.

Not sure what you mean .5pm weight?

Thanks again
gram not pm -oops

OP
OP
gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this fish has a massive internal infection, possibly due to a prolapse. The trouble is, the intestines seem to be affected. If so, I’m afraid there isn’t anything you will be able to do for this fish, sorry.
Jay
Thanks guys,

Unfortunately the fish did not survive the night.

Back