Sick clownfish with white lesions

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I've had a pair of clownfish for about a year. A few weeks ago I noticed the smaller one was not hanging out in the frogspawn with his buddy. He's on the other side of the tank in my other frogspawn, otherwise behaving normally, eating, etc.

Yesterday I noticed 2 white, raised lesions on his sides. I thought perhaps the other clownfish had gotten nasty. Today there are more lesions, he's starting to flash, & he's started to do the head twitch I've read about with gill parasites. No other fish seem affected.

I'm waaaay behind on checking my water chemistries & doing a water change. I do run act charcoal & phosban along with a skimmer, although all are due to be changed.

I've attached photos. My LFS doesn't carry medications, so I'm a few days out to get things through Amazon. I'll do a freshwater dip tonight if I can catch him, for the presumptive gill parasites. Any clue on the white lesions? I don't think it's ich (and I've got a basselet who hasn't come down with it) & it doesn't look slimy like velvet...

Thank you!! Medication suggestions please!

Cynthia

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I've had a pair of clownfish for about a year. A few weeks ago I noticed the smaller one was not hanging out in the frogspawn with his buddy. He's on the other side of the tank in my other frogspawn, otherwise behaving normally, eating, etc.

Yesterday I noticed 2 white, raised lesions on his sides. I thought perhaps the other clownfish had gotten nasty. Today there are more lesions, he's starting to flash, & he's started to do the head twitch I've read about with gill parasites. No other fish seem affected.

I'm waaaay behind on checking my water chemistries & doing a water change. I do run act charcoal & phosban along with a skimmer, although all are due to be changed.

I've attached photos. My LFS doesn't carry medications, so I'm a few days out to get things through Amazon. I'll do a freshwater dip tonight if I can catch him, for the presumptive gill parasites. Any clue on the white lesions? I don't think it's ich (and I've got a basselet who hasn't come down with it) & it doesn't look slimy like velvet...

Thank you!! Medication suggestions please!

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia! I'm sorry about your clownfish. I don't see any pictures though.. can you try to attach them again?

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1482887999.481218.jpg
IMG_1482888012.359148.jpg
IMG_1482888027.777083.jpg

I hope these photos come through. Let me know if they don't!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1482887999.481218.jpg
IMG_1482888012.359148.jpg
IMG_1482888027.777083.jpg

I hope these photos come through. Let me know if they don't!
I see them. That certainly doesn't look like ick at all. Could be lymph, but it looks a little different from that as well. Possibly an infection of some sort. Let's call in back up for this one. @Humblefish
The freshwater dip won't hurt at all and is a good idea. Go ahead and do that and post the results for us and we'll see what we can do for him.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it looks like it was stung or stabbed by a tang - flukes may also be involved but that doesn't look like fluke damage.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a fox face, although they seem to leave each other alone.
I feel like a fox face sting would have killed the clownfish, so I would personally rule that unlikely.

Any shrimp or lobsters?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would do it. I haven't kept a YT in years because they always turn into a jerk fish.
Yup my money is on a stab wound from a YT

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. So far the clown is doing ok, although I'm watching his wounds carefully.

Do you think this is going to be a behavior pattern for the tang? Does he have to go? [emoji853]

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this is going to be a behavior pattern for the tang? Does he have to go? [emoji853]

Once they turn mean it usually stays that way. Only way to possibly alleviate aggression is to place him in a larger tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back